Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another male with Lupus

Thanks

Default Another male with Lupus

Just wanted to say hi. I posted down in the men section. If there are any other sailors out there with Lupus I would love to hear from you. We bought our Starwind 22 last February and we love her. I don't plan on guitting sailing if at all possible.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Grime,

I'm Rob, and I'm a moderator here. Welcome to our group. I own a 1977 Pearson 30 cruiser that my father and I bought as a "fixer upper". I live in Maine on Penobscot Bay. I've had a great time the past two summers learning all I can learn about the basics of sailing, and I love it.

I saw your post in the mens forum. We do have a fellow here who is also a mod and is a VNV. St. James is his username, but unfortunately he has some serious health problems on top of having Lupus, so it's rare to see him here. I was in the Army for 4 years active and 6 in the reserves. I was a crewman on an Abrams tank. In civilian life, I was a smallarms designer and I worked for the DOD. I'm 41, and was diagnosed with SLE five years ago. I'm on full disability now. Constant flares prevent any real plans for the future.

There's not many of us guys out there who have Lupus, and are willing to talk, so it's always good to talk to another guy here. This is a really laid back, easygoing group of people here. There's no judgement, no talk of being a hypochondriac, or any other such nonsense. Anyway, we need all the men we can get, so I hope you decide to stick around. If you go to my profile page and click on the photo album, you'll see some pics of the Maine coast, and a couple pics from my days as a Tanker. I look forward to talking to you.

Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,
    Thanks for the welcome. Sure glad to find another sailor. I know as times go by I'll have a ton of questions.

It's funny our son is also a tanker. At the present he is a recuiter with the Army up in Iowa. He was with the 3rd ACR out of Ft. Carson and went to Iraq when they shipped out at the beginning of the war.

Not knowing much about Lupus you can rest assure I'll stick around. You will also find I am a very compassion with others feelings.

I'll check out your profile. I wanted to add my site but didn't know if it was ok. Are you having to give up sailing? I sure hope not.

Fair winds
    David

Thanks

Hi David,

I will not be giving up sailing anytime soon. I had to give up flying because I just am not confident in my abilities anymore due to cognitive dysfunction, or "brain fog" as we call it. Sailing is a replacement for flying. Far fewer fast and critical decisions to be made, so I figure I'm pretty safe on the water. I still fly R/C model aircraft, but no more of the real thing.

I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to sailing and basic seamanship. My father and I took some free night courses the Coast Guard gives here on the basics of safety, navigation, and whatnot. We don't venture out too far though, the North Atlantic can turn mean really quick.

What a coincidence that your son was a tanker too. I was regular army but I was assigned to the 8th Bn 40th Armored at Ft. Huachuca AZ, which was a reserve armor unit. I was a training NCO in a program to transition the reserve and guard armor units and their crews from the M-60A3 tank to the then new M-1 Abrams. It was great fun. Got to spend a bunch of time at Yakima doing live fire training.

How long have you been into sailing?

Thanks

Hi Rob,
    We have a lot in common. I use to try, I mean try, to fly R/C. Couldn't see them and crashed to many time. I sure like them. I also spent my 7 years in the army in helicopters as crewchief and then maintenance supervisor. I started working on my leaning to fly in 63 and was shipped to Germany and never went back to it. Family reason.

We never owned a boat of any kind until last February. In July we put her in the water with the help of a friend and sailed for 5 hours over to Port Lavaca to the slip. We are newbies when it comes to sailing. I posted a link in my profile to our little site about us and Miss Froggy, as we named her. There is also a photo album. I need to up date the album. We have a friend that is our mentor that has gone out with us a few time. I really wanted to go to ASA but funds are always short. Lisa and I have sailed in 27+ winds with a reefed main and cruised along at hull speed. I also crew on Tuesdays for a friend on his 41' Tatran. We get out in the Gulf with them. Really fun and Lisa loves heeling, in his boat at least. I would not want to sail in the N.A. The Gulf here can get really nasty quick and the waters are shallow until you get out 150 miles.

I've got a line on some used bimini's and plan on looking at the cheap one this weekend. On one of the sailing forums I go to I made a post and one of the members wife has Lupus and she loves sailing. They are in Fla. and had some good suggestion.

We are thinking about going some place else. We live in a RV and Miss Froggy is a trailer sailor. Right now the UV index is 7 so I am not going out until late. Now when I check the sailing weather I plan on checking the UV index.

Until I get the meds I need we can't go anywhere. It's a shame that the VA medical system is not national. It took me 6 months just to get a dermatology appointment as my address was temporary.

If I repeat myself in reply's I do apologize. Sometime thing are hard to remember.

Fair wind,
    David

Thanks

You'd love my dad, Rob! He has built/flown R/C airplanes for many, many years. He belongs to a flying club in Idaho where he and his buddies chew the fat and crash....err fly......their planes. When it comes to R/C planes, there's not much he doesn't know. I remember when I was a kid, my dad built several planes out of balsa wood with a plastic overlay (definitely not the UltraCoat used today!) that were taller (and much wider) than I. I've spent many a holidays at the hobby store purchasing fuel, servos and the like. Last year, I bought him a magnifyer on a stand so he can put all those little pieces together 'cause the old eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Welcome aboard David! Sounds like you and Rob certainly have a lot in common!

Thanks

Hey David,

Hi and Welcome. I love sailing...it is so relaxing and you can almost get lost in the wind when you are sailing.
    Hey, I noticed you are from Texas...I am up north of you in the DFW metroplex. How did your and your home fare in the hurricane...My brother and sister live in Corpus Christi on Padre Island and they said they saw some of those huge waves...did you have to evacuate?
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Hello David..

Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us. We can use as many sailors and compassionate people as we can get.

I'm Lori...I'll climb on board a sailboat any day. My husband and I had some great fun in our 20's sailing in the Columbia River Gorge. In Jamaica last summer we took a Hobiecat out for 3 hours and caught some amazing Caribbean winds. Wish we could have been in something bigger. I absolutely love the sounds when you're out on the water with just the wind and the waves.

Do you and your wife travel around the states in your RV or are you planted in Texas?

I believe we have another sailor that joined the forum recently...goes by 'Captn. Blah'. Maybe he'll be along soon.

Just wanted to say hi and looking forward to your posts.

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks

BonusMom,

That's awesome that your Dad is into R/C. I just finished building a 80" wingspan B-25 Mitchell. It's my first twin engine plane. The next project is a 1/4 scale Piper Cub with gasoline Zenoah Engine. It will have a 120" wingspan and should weigh in at around 40 pounds. It will be the largest model I've ever built. It's an ARF kit, so all the major components are built and already covered in Ultracote. I'm also into helicopters. I fly in competitions that our local club puts on. I have a heli called a Raptor 90. It's a real handful.

Hey David,

Don't worry if you repeat yourself, I do it all the time. Actually, I think most of us here do it all the time. I goes with the territory. I've repeated entire posts before, the fog can be very confusing. I know what you mean about R/C planes being hard to see. I started out with small scale stuff. A 40" wingspan Cub that I could barely see. All my aircraft now are large scale as they are really easy to see, and larger planes handle better as well.

Thats amazing that the water is so shallow where you are. Here, about 15 miles out the depth drops drastically, really fast. Out past the southern tip of Nova Scotia its almost a mile deep. Go further north and east and you get into the really deep stuff around Newfoundland. Gettin kinda late here. Gotta get some sleep. Talk to you later!

Rob

Thanks

Hi David..

Just read through your website..enjoyed it immensely. And I really enjoyed your photo album..your looking good in your boat, Captain. You and your Lisa look wonderful...please tell her hello for me.

Stay well....

Lori