Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol.

Thanks

Default Alcohol.

My question is this - the last time I had a bit of alcohol - I woke up the next morning feeling like I was literally dying. I felt like it took a week to recover.

Apart from the occasional glass of wine I do not drink often - possibly 4 times a year and when I do drink I get tipsy pretty quickly because I don't have much tolerance for alcohol.(I am the cheap cheerful drunk - 2 glasses and I feel like belting out a tune - unfortunately I cannot sing...or tap dance)

However I rarely have any side effects because I probably dont drink that much, but the last time I had some margaritas I was feeling pretty down and out because I had all these unexplained symptoms and no clues about the Lupus thing. Now I am wondering if alcohol is one of those bad things that Lupus people need to avoid. I cannot even face the odd glass of wine - it is kind of like when you go off something after a bad experience. I am wondering if it is psychological or is my body telling me something.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey Chas, nice name btw

I used to be a really heavy drinker more of a binger than anything else from when i was 17 up to last year actually, i cant do it any more ive been out several times with my friends this year and i cant drink like i used to, i suffer for the week, oh and being on methotrexate as well just isnt the done thing, its so hard to give it up tho i had to shut myself away for 2 weeks to get the thought out of my head, i wasnt an alcoholic or anything but very much borderline on that one, now ive cut alcohol out of my life completely, i go to the pub and moight have one, but dont drink to excess which is cool with me now, all my mates no i dont drink like i used too anymore, dunno about the lupus side of things but it aint good stuff, in any case get better highs off all the meds

ISDM
    xx
    Last edited by iseedeadmonkeys; 02-25-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typos
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

Hi chas;

I still imbibe a bit - but the only lupus med I'm on is plaquenil. If I do go through a period of taking Rx strength advil or such, I do not drink. I don't want to risk a stomach bleed, as I know that can be a side effect.

Never was one to drink to excess, or even to do a pub crawl (I'll leave that to iseedeadmonkey's past!), but having wine with dinner or a scotch on the rocks in the evening is about it.

Not sure if lupus has lowered my "tolerance" - as I never had THAT high a tolerance to begin with!
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Default booze

I don't know if it has anything to do with lupus.. for my dr's are testing me and retesting me for lupus and they seem to think I really have it. I have good days and bad days but I'll tell you that nothing is worse than the day after I drink. I never used to get hangovers but now it's like it just makes me feel like crap the next day... I like that you said you felt like you were dying because that is exactly how I felt. I'm going to just take it easy until I get a diagnosis and even then pry just start drinking small amounts.. I don't drink often at all but when I do drink I like to get wild lol. About 6 times a year I like to get wild... but now I might be giving that up pretty quickly lol.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi chas,

I too have noticed that two drinks will put me under the table...never had that problem. I have been wondering, myself, if it is lupus or med related. interesting that several of us are experiencing the same thing.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah it was my past, only way i could deal with things back then

times have changed for the better tho im happy to say and i feel so much more alive waking up hangover free, i did it for myself, there was no reason for me to carry on drinking, i left my home got a new house in a different village and have started a fresh,
    i still like to go to the pub with my friends but i dont drink to access only have like 3 and im very tipsy, (as heidi knows lol) very cheap date haha, but it doesnt bother me anymore its not summin i "need" anymore

peace
    ISDM
    x
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

I use to drink every weekend out with my mates when i was like 15/16/17, but since my lupus has started I have such an intolerance, 4 drinks and i'll be hungover for the whole of the next day, so I dont drink much anymore. Which is hard when your a 19 year old student lol.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi,

Yes i think alcahol can make you feel really low if not taken in moderation. I used to always be out at a club dancing the night away without fail, it never bothered me at all. Now, i know how low i feel if i drink.But saying that, it only takes 2 shandy's now and im tipsy....what a cheap date i am lol
    So just have shandy's or just stay away from it. You can still have a good time on lemonades with lemons and ice.Just pretend there is vodka in it....i do (Well when i eventually go out).

Angel.xxx

Thanks

I don't have much problem on alcohol. I don't drink much anyway. I did notice one thing and it is probably nothing. When I am upset and actually try to take something like wine to calm me down it doesn't do it. It is like I am drinking water in effect. I can down 2,3,or4 and never feel the effects. If I am just socially drinking one can make me tipsy. Weird, huh?
    and those times I was with my mom and siblings...enough to make anyone want to get rip- roaring- drunk and nothing happened.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

hey I used to drink a LOT I mean mucho.... hehe
    Now I don't drink that much but a few drinks does numb the pain and help me sleep..

I have noticed tho that I am better off staying on the one drink and preferable a "clean" spirit like Vodka or Bourbon...
    Beer or mix drinks make me sooooooooo groggy the next day...

But the spirits are fine..... :d
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..