Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dressing with Lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi ayahsclan,
    i got those ice vests for my son who suffers from extreme body heat (forgot the name), and he got immediate relief....he really likes the vest...says it makes summers bearable.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkofWtr View Post
    I have to wear the hypoallergenic make-up like Almay or Physicians Formula. I like Physicians Formula. I can't wear any make-up that has a fragrance. I haven't been able to wear high heels for many years and it has been a real blow to me. Not only is my balance bad but my feet hurt far too much to wear them. I am afraid of falling down in them and I have already fallen wearing flats, more than once.

Loose fitting clothing works best for me and I try to avoid synthetic fabrics as they don't breathe well and I get hot flashes!
    I hear ya. I used to love to wear boots with moderate heals. Now I have one pair of boots I can wear, Earth Shoe, that are nothing like a sexy boot!

Oooh them nasty hot flashes. Yesterday I went into a full body sweat in the grocery store. My lungs are exacerbating right now and for some reason it makes the hot flashes worse.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatlady View Post
    You're in good company.....

I found Rit Sunguard (a powdered product in with Rit Dye) to be a godsend - I put my summer cover-up-shirts and light sweaters in it and then know that I have the spf I need. Washes in, lasts for 30 washings, per their label. The fancy sun-protector clothing is so nice to look at....but the prices!!!!

I'm covered head to toe year round. I miss wearing the nice skirts that brushed my knees - but the sun on my legs, even with nylons....nope.

Cotton and now the new bamboo products are so soft on the skin - I still wear bras but find I've switched to the comfiest I can find - which translates to breathable cotton....

Shoes? Comfort first. I find DSW's sale rack a good thing - flats only, and rubber soled only. I've been lucky - the one near here has a good selection of wider ones that still look relatively nice.

The one piece I have fun with? (no need to guess hard here) My hats.
    I didn't even know we could spf our own clothes!

Forgive my ignorance but what is DSW?

Thanks

AyahsClan...Hey..

For loose fitting clothes in the summer, I've purchased several Indians garbs, cotton...Salwar suits, tunic tops...they also have wide legs, long skirts..and drawstrings pants..caftans. Longer tunic shirts cover up the baggy hinder...

This is a great shop..in my hometown area of Seattle I've shopped at....you can buy online too...
    http://www.eshakti.com/

My Mum-in-law is British Nigerian and she has given me several caftans type dresses, colors of Africa, beautiful..with the head dress too, but I use it as a shawl. All hand made and a few two piece skirt and tops. Kind of like the Hawaiian Moomoo..

Victoria's Secrets has Cabana pants I like...wide leg, drawstring..breezy...nice with a tank and an oversize shirt....

I've even purchased the drawstring crop PJ bottoms and where them outdoors. But the colors one would never know they are PJ's...

Here's to a cooler summer for all of us...

Keep cool...hugs.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Thanks for the Rit Sunguard tip! I will get some ASAP
    Diagnosed with: Lupus, Hashimoto's Thryroiditis, Hypercoaguable State (2 DVT's)
    I have a hard time taking my medications regularly and I am working on getting better at that!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I love clothes from India! I order my long cotton skirts from an Indian company at www.aimcraft.com I've perused eshakti many times too. I'll check them out again. I've been a large size the last few years (22-24) and it is not easy to find the plus sizes. I go up and down by 80 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post
    AyahsClan...Hey..

For loose fitting clothes in the summer, I've purchased several Indians garbs, cotton...Salwar suits, tunic tops...they also have wide legs, long skirts..and drawstrings pants..caftans. Longer tunic shirts cover up the baggy hinder...

This is a great shop..in my hometown area of Seattle I've shopped at....you can buy online too...
    http://www.eshakti.com/

My Mum-in-law is British Nigerian and she has given me several caftans type dresses, colors of Africa, beautiful..with the head dress too, but I use it as a shawl. All hand made and a few two piece skirt and tops. Kind of like the Hawaiian Moomoo..

Victoria's Secrets has Cabana pants I like...wide leg, drawstring..breezy...nice with a tank and an oversize shirt....

I've even purchased the drawstring crop PJ bottoms and where them outdoors. But the colors one would never know they are PJ's...

Here's to a cooler summer for all of us...

Keep cool...hugs.
    Love,
    Oluwa

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    hi ayahsclan,
    i got those ice vests for my son who suffers from extreme body heat (forgot the name), and he got immediate relief....he really likes the vest...says it makes summers bearable.
    I'm going to go shop for them online right now. I hope your son's condition is not too serious.

Thanks

I slap myself when I start to think old lady housecoats are looking doable.

LOL I understand that sentiment, but sometimes having something that comfortable would be nice. Lately I have been living in an old pair of sweats and a sweat shirt or a nightshirt and soft comfy robe.(the latter is for the days that I can't even get out of bed) I have not found a sarong that looks good on me. The prednisone has changed my figure...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Yes.....i used to live in heels. Now though its trainers and flat soft shoes. I too wear either soft waitbands on jeans or a bigger size skirt. I wont wear a hat cause of my hair lol.....i will wear a cap though sometimes. I have problems with bras cause of the lumps i have, theyre cysts i think, so they do hurt if i have my push up bra on. Yes push up cause i wasnt blessed with huge basookers lol I used to wear tight fitting tops, but now i wear baggy ones. Comfort comes first even at 39.....but i am a fashion freak too....so if its too unfashionable i do without.

Angel.xxxxx

Thanks

Default Fashionistas!

Thanks for sharing your fashion survival secrets. I still work (in a conservative environment) so I have to "dress up." I think I would do well to buy the flowing (non-constricting) pieces that you gals have described. Unfortunately, I can't wear "flats" because they hurt my feet-I do better with at least a small heel. It sounds strange, but at nearly 5'10", I still like how heels longate the legs (a girl's gotta feel like a girl--even with Lupus!)

As to the option of going braless--it's not! The "two cats fighting in a bag" would make me the laughingstock of the office :-o Plus, I don't think it would be comfortable for 10+ hours/day.

Loved the "old lady housecoat" observation! Oh yes, it's tempting, but then a visual pops in my head and it's not pretty. I wear sweats, or as I call them "my comfy clothes" in the evening as soon as I get home from work. Oh, the joys of elastic!