Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dressing with Lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi ayah

so glad the vest worked. i will ask my son where he got his ice vest. i am in the process of getting him into a rheumy. his pcp ran tests, and his ana was normal, but i truly suspect he does have lupus. he has been struggling with different physical problems for some time now, plus he has anxiety disorder. he uses the ice pace for "hyperhydrosis".

i have always lived in the south, and have been able to be outside in the middle of the summer for the entire day....now, i can't take the heat at all.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I found the coolest summer house dress! It is called a Dashiki. It is a very simple dress but comes in all kinds of colorful cotton designs. They may not be for everybody but they make me feel happy and dressed even if I'm not. Some are from Africa with traditional African designs and some Indonesia. The cotton caftans are wonderful too.

If anyone is interested at seeing them go to ebay and search dashiki, look for a store called inspiredbyangels. She has the best. If you don't like to bid you can make offers. (don't pay more than $20) shshshshshshhhhhh you didn't hear that from me.

My mom loved the one I got last month so I just bought her 2 for mothers day. She loves to do fabric art and just finished a project with a beautiful vintage design with peacocks. I ordered her the red dashiki with a peacock. Not my style but she should love it!
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

Thanks

Hi all,
    I just read this thread. I live in Chico's clothes. The pants that they sell in the Traveler's Collection are sooo comfortable, and the cute tank tops are great. You can buy all sorts of tops and jackets to mix and match with the tanks. They can be a bit pricey, but I use the coupons that they send out, plus my frequent customer discounts. They also have an outlet store, which I love.
    I've also found a mail-order catalog called Blair that sells comfy clothes. Like someone else on this thread, I prefer a bit of a heel. I've found another mail-order catalog, called Old Pueblo Traders. They sell Hushpuppies dress shoes in all colors, heel heights and sizes at great prices. I've also bought Easy Spirit walking shoes from them.
    Marla

Thanks

Default Speaking of bras

I am starting to think it won't be long before I will have to do a rethink on wearing a bra at all. My shoulders are so painful when I reach behind my back that I have had to ask for help hooking the strap. I have tried hooking it in front first and twisting it around to the back, but, that is more painful. Everyday, getting dressed is such a chore, I gasp and groan, and avoid getting dressed at all if I can help it. I don't even think about trying on different outfits, just not gonna happen. Whatever I start with is just going to have to be it.

I have actually gotten stuck in a shirt that was a bit too snug to come off easily, and I didn't have the strength or the ability to stand the pain to pull it off.

I have had to do an entire rethink of my future wardrobe purchases, and sadly, when I go shopping, along with how the color and style look on me, I have to also think, how hard is this going to be to get in and out of.

Sad.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teresaa40 View Post
    I am starting to think it won't be long before I will have to do a rethink on wearing a bra at all. My shoulders are so painful when I reach behind my back that I have had to ask for help hooking the strap. I have tried hooking it in front first and twisting it around to the back, but, that is more painful. Everyday, getting dressed is such a chore, I gasp and groan, and avoid getting dressed at all if I can help it. I don't even think about trying on different outfits, just not gonna happen. Whatever I start with is just going to have to be it.

I have actually gotten stuck in a shirt that was a bit too snug to come off easily, and I didn't have the strength or the ability to stand the pain to pull it off.

I have had to do an entire rethink of my future wardrobe purchases, and sadly, when I go shopping, along with how the color and style look on me, I have to also think, how hard is this going to be to get in and out of.

Sad.
    We can still dress cool, sexy, however we want we just have to make sure we are covered up. You know what? It amazes me how much attention from men I get when I am out. I am waaaaaaay overweight. It doesn't seem to matter how sexy we think we are according to societies standards, but how we smile and feel about ourselves that is attractive.

Men always approach me for conversation and check my ring finger. (I am up and down with the vest, it is so ugly.) It has cooled off so I have been wearing loose natural fibers. For example, a cotton gauze kurta, loose cotton drawstring cotton pants or a wrap batik skirt and a beautiful sarong/scarf. Simple, covered. I'm thinking it may be more attractive to show less! Tight fitting clothes may not be as attractive as we once thought.

I was in Del Taco one day when a family from India had stopped in. The women wore traditional saris, fully covered from head to toe but you know what? They were as beautiful as fluttering butterflies. So beautiful!

On the bra issue, I gave them up. There are many other painless options that actually look MUCH nicer. I may wear very loose "sleeping" bras if at all, but I always wear a shaper tank top. I have several I found at Walmart. They go on easy and come off easy. There are a few brands that are killer "shapers". I find the one that works and stick to it. It looks so much nicer! No bra lines, no pouching, just a smooth clean curve no matter what you weigh. (I may be found reaching in and lifting a boob in the canned food isle now and then though) I think Spanx would be cool but they are too expensive. No matter what the tag says cold water wash hang dry.

Bra bands on the rib cage are so painful for me! Oh you know what else to consider? Sport tank tops with a bra shelf. You have to buy them a larger size than you normally wear. I have had to experiment with them. We need them large enough to not hurt, but small enough to hold the girls up. They are hard to get right. Sorry, I have probably already posted the same stuff before.
    Ayah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Hi all,
    I just read this thread. I live in Chico's clothes. The pants that they sell in the Traveler's Collection are sooo comfortable, and the cute tank tops are great. You can buy all sorts of tops and jackets to mix and match with the tanks. They can be a bit pricey, but I use the coupons that they send out, plus my frequent customer discounts. They also have an outlet store, which I love.
    I've also found a mail-order catalog called Blair that sells comfy clothes. Like someone else on this thread, I prefer a bit of a heel. I've found another mail-order catalog, called Old Pueblo Traders. They sell Hushpuppies dress shoes in all colors, heel heights and sizes at great prices. I've also bought Easy Spirit walking shoes from them.
    Marla
    I'll have to check out Chico's again. They were a bit pricey as I recall but I love the styles and fabrics. How do you get the coupons? I have ordered a few things from Blair. I have a hard time getting the right size from them. Most things seem to run a bit larger. I have a favorite blouse I got from Blair I think they called it a hankerchief blouse? It fits so nice and curvey. The problem is they have too much polyester at Blair and I can't stand the feel of it on my skin in the summer. All I can handle is loose cotton, hemp or a light weave linen.

I was checking out Old Pueblo Traders recently, can't remember what search took me there. You can also get the highest high end clothes at "Sierra Trading Post". It is an outlet store too. I've done business with them before and was very happy. I've been looking for summer shoes/sandals. Something funky but not typical and feminine. I have an idea in my mind but haven't found it yet.

I'm thinking of a slip on shoe, something between a maryjane and a ballet slipper, with cotton, linen or hemp uppers and a very cushiony footbed that are very washable. I like to wear breathable shoes without socks in the summer that can get thrown in the washer a lot.
    Ayah

Thanks

Cool

To get on Chico's list, all you have to do is buy something and sign up with them. Then, they send you the quarterly magazine in the mail to drool over, with a coupon for 10% or 20% off. Once you've spent $100 or so, you're considered a frequent customer, and the deals get better. If you have an outlet mall nearby, the best deals are at their outlet store.
    I have to control myself now that I won't be teaching - I could spend a LOT of money in there.
    Marla

Thanks

I made the mistake of living in pajamas. I didn't realize that I was putting on as much weight until I had to get dressed and found my clothes didn't fit me. Silly me didn't notice that my PJ's were getting snugger
    Bra's choke me to death, I refuse to wear one now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have recently found a wonderful ALL mineral make-up line that actually works and is guaranteed! I bought the foundation in october and I just ran out last week. It was $18. I used to use clinique and it cost $38 and I would have to replace it every 2-3 months. They have a whole new mineral line that is actually good for your skin, no matter the skin type. As I stated before it is guaranteed or your money back. Believe it or not it is by Mary Kay. It really is awesome, you dont have to use a lot, it may seem pricey buts lasts at least twice as long as other make-ups, and it is NATURAL so people that suffer from skin issues like we do can wear it without harming our skin. You really must give it a shot. Oh, and it also has a sun protection factor in it!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!