Thread: Excercise induced rash? Is this possible with lupus?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Excercise induced rash? Is this possible with lupus?

I don't know if anyone has ever experienced this but I found it quite odd. I have certainly worked out before, but today I worked out for about 30 minutes to help my joints and i broke out into a rash over my knees and my forearms. I know you can get a rash when exposed to heat but I didn't know if you could while excercising because your body is heating up. Please help me! I found this very strange.. Can lupus cause this?

Steph

Thanks

Smile

Hi Steph...

I haven't ever heard of, or experienced, a rash after exercising. Not sure if that could be Lupus related. I know my daughter, who does not have Lupus, has had frequent hives that are triggered when she gets too warm, like during her soccer games or afterwards. Whenever she gets overheated, the hives appear.

Is what you're experiencing just a rash? Or is it hives...you know, with raised inflamed areas that itch like crazy.

Do you ever experience rashes on part of your body when you have a lupus flare? Or is this the first time for any rash? Did the rash stay around or go away once you cooled down?

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you....perhaps another member will be along to share more. I know we have a few members that suffer with some pretty debilitating rashes. Hopefully they will show up soon.

Lori

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This can happen to persons who do not have auto-immune disorders. The most dangerous is known as exercise-induced anaphylaxis. This is a condition where people experience hives, itching, shortness of breath, and low blood pressure 5 to 30 minutes after the onset of exercise. These symptoms can progress to shock and even death. Jogging is the most common type of exercise that causes exercise-induced anaphylaxis. The immediate symptoms of exercise-induced anaphylaxis are treated with antihistamines, epinephrine, and airway support. Taking antihistamines prior to exercise may be effective.

There is another condition that occurs even with health people. This is known as cholinergic urticaria. This is is a form of hives that causes hives to form after exercise and it is is a very common form of hives. These hives appear in response to a rise in body temperature from exercise, overheating, or stress. Usually the hives develop within 2 to 20 minutes after the body temperature rises, although they can take up to an hour to occur. They cause itching, tingling, burning, and warmth of the skin. The hives last for minutes to hours with an average of 30 minutes. It is believed that histamine is released in response to stimulation by the parasympathetic nervous system (a division of the autonomic nervous system (ANS), along with the sympathetic nervous system (SNS) and enteric nervous system (ENS or "bowels NS").

Cholinergic urticaria can be treated by limiting strenuous exercise. It responds well to a medication called hydroxyzine, which is an antihistamine. However, the main side effect of sleepiness is often not tolerated well. Showering with hot water may cause a release of histamine throughout the body depleting histamine stores and causing the hives to remain for up to a 24-hour period.

I hope that this was helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Question...

Hi there. Was just wondering about what you said about heat causing a rash in lupus. Is that common? I am not dx but get a rash and am very heat sensitive with it. I get it almost anywhere but mainly my nose/cheeks sometimes forehead, arms and chest. comments? thanks. -Brit
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

What you describe sounds like the malar rash which becomes more noticeable when you are heated. The malar is not always very obvious to the eye, but it can be aggravated by sun exposure, exposure to fluorescent lights and/or sensitive to changes in the body and/or stress. The malar rash can look different on each person, so sometimes we may not even know that we have the malar rash. The lupus butterfly rash can be as mild as a slight blush-like rash to a severe, scaly rash. The butterfly rash may also be short lived, or it may last for many months. The reason the malar rash is shaped like a butterfly is because it follows the angle that the UV rays land on the skin. The butterfly configuration across the nose and cheeks & sometimes the forehead. It can appear on one or both sides of the face.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Goodness, Saysusie, you are a wealth of knowledge. I never knew why the malor rash went that way. I didn't present with a malor rash until recently.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost