Thread: dark patches on skin

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default dark patches on skin

Hi everyone--I was diagnosed with SLE recently, but have been experiencing different symptoms for a few years now. I am careful about sunscreen and everything, but I do live in sunny Hawaii. I have noticed dark patches on my arms getting worse and worse. I am African American. I was wondering if anyone else had similar symptoms, or if it is related to SLE at all. The hardest part about the diagnosisis figuring out what is lupus and what is something else. I appreciate any response.
    Mahalo (thanks) Maya

Thanks

Default Patches

Hi ! I am a dark skinned latina and I too have dark patches;especially around the neck area. There were two underlying reasons for this. Before I was dx'd 1.2 years ago, I suffered from chronic eczema, which was treated with cortisone. However, after being dx'd with sle lupus, I was given the medication of Hydroxychloroquine. Although this med works well for me, the side effect was darkening of the skin especially the NECK AREA.. Talk about being out of luck! So, because I supposedly my condition is controlled and I am doing well, the meds were reduced from 2x a day to 1x every other day. ARe you on any current meds now? If so, look at the side effects and also see a dermatologist that knows about lupus and discoid lupus.

Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks so much for replying to me! I am glad to know that there are other people out there like me. I will check with my rheumy!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Maya;
    I, too, am African American and experienced the dark patches on my skin. Like "A New Day", mine were mostly on my neck :roll: However, my dark patches were a result of my lesions.
    You say that you live in Hawaii...are you constantly exposed to the sun?? Have you checked to make sure that you are not suffering from melanoma or sclerodoma?
    Have you had lesions? Discoid Lupus? All of the above can cause the dark discoloration of your skin.
    Ask your doctor..make sure that you are given answers and not just brushed off. It could be serious or it could be minor...but you need to know either way.
    Best of Luck
    Let Us Know What You Find Out
    Saysuei