Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tamiya

Thanks

I fly planes and heli's also. Most of the time I fly the micro heli's here in the house. I'm fortunate I have a club within driving distance that races the Tamiya's. My health is going downhill the last few months. I've lost most of my energy and its hard to focus on anything lately.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    I fly planes and heli's also. Most of the time I fly the micro heli's here in the house. I'm fortunate I have a club within driving distance that races the Tamiya's. My health is going downhill the last few months. I've lost most of my energy and its hard to focus on anything lately.
    I do the same as far as heli's. I fly an E-Flite Blade MSR and an MCX2 indoors.

The track I race at is about a 45 minute drive, not too far. They have a decent indoor facility that they open during the winter months, and they run a 1/12 carpet and 1/16 and 1/10 dirt track. I run a 1/16 Kyosho Mini Inferno on the dirt track. Fun stuff.

I know what you mean about losing energy and focus. It happens to me too. Brainfog often makes me have to step away from building, flying, and driving. It's so strange. One day, I"ll spool up the Raptor and it's like riding a bike-very comfortable and familiar. Then other days I spool up to takeoff/hover RPM, slowly moving the collective forward, and it's like the sticks have swapped sides and are reversed. It's totally alien, like I've never flown at all.

On the bad days there's a disconnect between my brain and my fingers, and on the really bad days, memory and coordination simply go AWOL. Frustrating as hell.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-13-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    .......On the bad days there's a disconnect between my brain and my fingers, and on the really bad days, memory and coordination simply go AWOL. Frustrating as hell. Rob
    what a great explanation, it happens to all of us in varying degrees.
    i can no longer play with "real" boys toys.
    i have friends that own excavators and earth moving equipment.
    i used to love to play with them.

i am not game to do it anymore, because the brain and the fingers work inderpendantly of each other.

Thanks

I thought you folks might like to see my new model project.

All the latest previews for the new Star Trek film have me wanting to put together something Trek related. Over the years I've built a bunch of Enterprise models and other ships for both myself and for clients, and I wanted to try something completely different this time around.

I'm building a replica of a Star Trek phaser pistol from the original TV series. The cool part of this project, is that it's not a non-functional movie prop. It's a a real laser pistol that will burn through paper, light matches, and pop balloons nicely!

I have the blueprints and all the needed parts, and I've started work on the basic wiring and circuit boards. Here's a youtube video of a finished model being used for a little target practice-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_3rB...ure=watch-vrec

Gonna be fun!

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-12-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    i thought you folks might like to see my new model project.

All the latest previews for the new star trek film have me wanting to put together something trek related. Over the years i've built a bunch of enterprise models and other ships for both myself and for clients, and i wanted to try something completely different this time around.

I'm building a replica of a star trek phaser pistol from the original tv series. The cool part of this project, is that it's not a non-functional movie prop. It's a a real laser pistol that will burn through paper, light matches, and pop balloons nicely!

I have the blueprints and all the needed parts, and i've started work on the basic wiring and circuit boards. Here's a youtube video of a finished model being used for a little target practice-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_3rb...ure=watch-vrec

gonna be fun!

Rob

i want one

Thanks

... I could see another way of having some fun at the kids' birthday parties with the helium balloons...
    Last edited by jmail; 12-13-2012 at 02:57 PM.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Very Cool!!! I want at least one!

Thanks

Well, I finished the phaser (laser), and it works perfectly.

I've also discovered that it will burn through more than just paper and balloons. It will also burn through an aluminum soda can if the can label is printed in a dark color, or if you spray paint them flat black. Bright metallic colors just reflect the laser back towards the source, and it never gets hot enough to do anything. I painted a full can of orange soda flat black, shook it up, zapped it, and bang! Now the snow in my driveway is all orange colored. Very neat toy to experiment with.

Of course now, I'll have to build another one and see how far the concept can be taken. Ill use a phaser prop from the new movie as a base for the next one I build.

Rob

Thanks

Rob
    Do I sense a touch of mad scientist at work here?
    I'll watch the news for reports of rolling black outs in the new england area as you struggle for greater power sources.

As for jmail's idea with the helium ballons-I know helium isn't flammable but I still couldn't help thinking of the hindenberg.

Thanks

... hydrogen is a component of water (which also has an "oxydizer" component)... boo-ah-ha-ha!!!! (not quite as maniacal "sounding" as I wanted it, sorry...)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."