Thread: Vitamin D Deficiency

Thanks

Default Vitamin D Deficiency

I had soooooo much blood taken three weeks ago and I will be going over the results with my doc tomorrow. She called today and said we will go over everything else tomorrow but that I have a vitamin D deficiency and I needed to start taking vitamin d with calcium and then an additional 1000mg of vitamin d by itself. Does anyone else have a vitamin d deficiency????? Daily I take the recommended amount for an adult. I live in the desert where it is always sunny and I spend lots of time out in the sun. I just stopped eating dairy a few weeks ago...after the blood was taken. I am sure it is very normal but I just wondered if anyone else may have some answers for me......thank you
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

I have vitamin d deficiency too....I think that the prednisone does it at least for me. I believe that potassium is another thing to watch out for too.

What kind are you using? I have been usung centrical, but they only come in 100 mg and taking 10 of those daily will not happen at least for me.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Hi Danica...

I've had Vitamin D deficiency numerous times with my Lupus. I've always had to take extra D because of being on steroids...they suck the vitamins and minerals right out of you. And living in the Pacific Northwest, with the weakest sun on the planet doesn't help either. :lol:

So besides my regular daily Vitamin, I take extra Calcium and Vitamin D (should be taken together ideally for absorption) and E and C. Maybe it's one of the medications that you take that is having that effect. Perhaps Saysusie has the answer to that, or you could search the net.

At times, I wonder if it's just having Lupus that depletes our vitamin resources, cuz even though I'm just about off of the Prednisone, my D levels are still somewhat low.

Good luck with your doctor appointment tomorrow. I hope things in your blood are lookin' good! :lol: Let us know.

Lori :P

Thanks

I love you guys! I just posted this and already you have responded.....I never feel lonely on here

sick n tired: I am going to pick it up at the store tomorrow. I will let you know what I find. I am anxious to here what the doctor thinks tomorrow

Rastagirl: I bet you are very cold up there! It was a beautiful day today and it was chilly but not a cloud in the sky. I grew up in northern Ohio and boy do the winters take a lot of you! I have always felt like Lupus takes so much out of us :? I am wondering if my methotraxate, being at such a high dose,is taking its toll on me......

I really try not to read to much about things because of the being afraid factor......I noticed a lot of the websites referenced heart disease. I have been fighting with my blood pressure over the last few years and when I was in to see the doc three weeks ago she mentioned it might be time to see a cardiologist......I have to admit that I am a little worried I know worrying tonight will not make things go away.I will let you all know what happens tomorrow! Thanks for all your support!!!!!

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Danica..

I know exactly what you mean about reading too much. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming and cause me to worry needlessly. I keep it to a minimum, also.

I just thought I'd share with you that I've had high blood pressure, controlled with meds, for pretty much most of the 27 years I've had Lupus, and I've worried about the long term damage to my heart and vessels. I also hated that I had to take BP meds for all that time. I would get so frustrated sometimes I would cry. I just wanted off of them. Over time, I have managed to get to a very minimal dose. And I learned that by keeping my blood pressure in control, we've greatly minimized any problems or damage. My heart is going strong!

I understand your anxiety with a heart doctor, but you shouldn't worry about seeing the Cardiologist. They are just part of the team to help keep you healthy. It's good to know what's going on with your heart, so they can follow it through the course of the Lupus. Make sure it stays healthy.

Danica...you're young and strong, and sounds like pretty active. I'm willing to bet when you see that Cardiologist, your going to find out your heart is fine.

Hang in there, we'll be waiting to see how tomorrow turns out.

Hugs,

Lori :P

Thanks

Thank you so much! I have been on the BP meds for a couple of years now......I think it is funny that I am on an even higher dose than my grandma :lol: We all get a chuckle from that! You are right, we have a team to keep us going and I should not be afraid, instead I should welcome anyone who is here to help I try to stay as active as I can. I love the smell of the morning and the sun set in the evening from a tall mountain......Lupus will not take away the things I love, I will never let that happen :!: I was once told many years ago that it was not the quantity of life you live but the quality.......I out lived that doctors prediction but one thing I took away with me from that doctor was a zest for life people only get when they are told they may not see 30.......I will be 30 in June and I welcome this birthday and all of the ones to follow

Thanks

I just got home from the doctors office. Other than my vitamin D deficiency my labs look really stable at this point in time. I asked why I felt so yucky and he said a lot of it was my other yuck, fibromyalgia. Also, the vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle and joint pain and fatigue! I am really hoping that once I start taking vitamin D a lot of the pain will go away I also am starting on cymbalta in the mornings.....has anyone taken that before????? The doctor has also prescribed physical therapy. She want me to go through water therapy. It is a bit expensive so I am not sure if I can do that right now :? She said that it is just trial and error at this point when it comes to finding what works best. I am patient so I will keep going and count on the doctor to do what is best for me

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Like you, most of my "Yucky" has been attributed to my Fibromyalgia. That pain, burning, fatigue, etc. can be quite debilitating itself. I also have to take vitamin D as well as B-12 and B-12 shots.
    I hope your medication works for you and I'm glad to hear the the Lupus is, at least, a bit under control.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I work part-time at a pharmacy. Vitamin D flies off the shelf. Docs are now recognizing how widespread Vitamin D deficiency is, across the population.

Seems as though, since we've stopped tilling the back forty with a mule 10 hours per day, we just don't spend enough time in the sun. Add on those darned dermatologists with their sunscreen blah blah and blah, and you can see we need to artificially pump up our Vitamin D intake.

For several years I was on Rx Vit D, 50,000 international units (IU) (gel caps) twice weekly. About six months ago, my doc took me off the Rx stuff and put me on over the counter pills. Walmart sells 2000 IU pills at a reasonable price. I take 5 pills daily = 10,000 IU daily = 70,000 IU weekly. It works for me and keeps me at acceptable levels. I get blood draws monthly to monitor this and other stuff.

Follow your doc's advice. You might want to inquire about the Rx version.

Thanks

What great information! I went and picked up Caltrate 600 plus D along with 1000mg. I was wondering how much vitamin D is appropriate to take on a daily basis? My doctor told me that more people have this issue than I could ever imagine and as long as it it is monitored....all is well!