Thread: Question about kids

Thanks

Default Question about kids

I know some of you have kids, and Saysusie I know your daughter had it (I'm so sorry) and I have a question.
    I have a son that will be 7 in a week and a half. He has been having migraines for a while now and they are getting more and more frequent. I've also noticed that he has a nice rash on his face and over the weekend he was complaining about his knees. There is also the fact that he hasn't felt good a LOT lately but can't explain it to me, and his migraines seem to be triggered most often by the sun. It's to the point where at recess he stays in the shade because he doesn't want his head to hurt. We have debated on having him tested since we found out about my labs and stuff. I am taking him to the eye doctor this afternoon and am really hoping (I know this sounds sad and strange) that he fails that test and just needs glasses. Then I can chalk the rest up to a fluke right?
    So my question is, regardless of the eye exam, would you have him tested? Have any of you all had your kids tested? He has a peds appt on the 23rd for a routine checkup but we are trying to decide whether to have the labs done. I don't want him stuck for no reason but I don't want him to have something and us not catch it early either. Has anyone faced this before? It's really stressing me out cause this is my baby we are talking about and I want to protect him from everything even tho I know that I can't. What would you guys do (or what have you done)????

Thanks

I had my 13 year old adopted daughter tested for arthritis because she was using more aspercream then I was. Not for lupus exactly but for arthritis. There are times she is in more pain than I am. From her files and her memories I knew her grandmother that cared for her had bad arthritis. The test came back negative but I do not regret having her tested...it rested my mind.

I too have a 7 year old by birth. I have noticed over the last year that if she gets the least bit tired she gets sick. I know most kids get fussy etc when they are tired but, she gets sick at her stomach, headache etc. My husband and I have talked about the fact she could be in the early stages of lupus and have agreed to do all we can to keep her from over doing it. I figure at this point even if she does have it she doesn't have it bad enough for any test to show it.

I've held my 7 year old for blood test so I know how bad it can be. If you think your son has enough sympthoms that it might register on a test then I would go ahead and do it just to have a piece of mind.

My mother talked about me getting a rash when I was out in the sun when I was a toddler.

Try not to worry too much.

Dency

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Tracy Dawn;
    I totally agree with Dency..with the number of symptoms that you have described in your son, I think that it would be prudent to have him tested. At the very lease, 7 yrs old seems much too young to suffer from migraines, joint pains and fatigue. So, it might be a good thing to find out exactly what is going on.
    How did the opthomology/optometry appointment go???

Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks ya'll. Well the opthamologist appt took 3 HOURS! They dialated his eyes and it was just a long appt of straight tests. The answer was that he does need glasses, he's far sighted and has a slight astigmatism in his left eye. He's also color blind!! Not to the degree where it should affect him in school, but he can't tell the difference in light and dark colors. I thought it was a little strange when he asked me the difference in his blue pencils and his green ones, wanting to know if they were light blue or light green. Now I know why. Come to find out, my dad is color blind but since we barely see him, and didn't see him at all for 10 years, I had no idea. The dr said it's passed through the mom from the MALE members in her family. So it would have come from MY dad or my MOM's dad. The dr also said he didn't think Bry's eyes are bad enough at this point to cause all the migraines. Soooo while that may be true *I* know that needing glasses and not having them can give you BAD headaches. So I am still going to have them run the labs. Maybe it's a combo of some weird virus, needing glasses, school, growing pains, whatever. But I'd rather know if something IS there rather than wait and see. I hate the thought of him being poked for what I HOPE is NO reason but it needs to be done I think.
    Thanks for the support. You guys are awesome!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are so right about needing glasses and headaches. In fact, I bet it has happened to us as adults when we neglect to wear our glasses and try to read for an extended period of time. It certainly happens to me and I get so angry with myself because I already suffer from lupus migraines and I make them worse (or occur more often) because I don't put on my glasses.
    At 7 yrs old, your son is probably always looking at school work, the chalk board, pictures, books, etc. His poor eyes are straining for hours and hours each and every day. Of course he'd get get headaches and after a 6-7 hour day of doing this, I'd say it's a sure bet that they might turn into bad headaches and/or migraines.
    You are right to want to continue to have him tested...in the long run it will be beneficial to both you and your son.
    Hang in there with him....

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie