Thread: Bloodwork?? ANA excessive jump?? What does it mean??

Thanks

Default Bloodwork?? ANA excessive jump?? What does it mean??

My ANA was: 1: 160 May of 2008 SED Rate 47
    1:1280 June of 2008
    1:2580 Nov of 2008

Also my ASO (streptococcal) is 400, 10 years ago it was 253, so that was why I was incorrrectly diagnosed with Rheumatic Fever a decade ago. Do other people with Lupus have a positive ASO titre (over 200)??

Does this mean I'm getting extremely worse? Having the excessive increase in antinuclear antibodies, is that a really bad thing?? My gp doesn't seem to know. Physically I had a really bad flare up but am doing better pain wise now.

Thanks

I'm not sure what it means or even if it is significant. One thing my PCP told me is not to focus on the fact that I got a positive ANA that it is only one criteria. If your GP isn't sure have him/her refer you to a rheumy for better answers.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It can merely mean that your disease is active (you may be in a flare-up). If your disease calms down, the numbers may decrease. Your doctor should have run other tests with the ANA. Depending upon the results of those tests in conjunction with the ANA, he might be able to determine why the disease is active and if there is inflammation occurring.
    However, remember that there are other reasons for an elevated ANA that may have nothing to do with Lupus.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Is this really an excessive jump? When titiers were explained to me, the numbers jump and double with each dilution and this looks about double. so a 1:150 is only one dilution from 1:300, then comes 1:600, and so on.

So where these numbers seem really high, I would ask the MD about this. Sometimes on the same sample they can get different dilutions that are one off by running a second time.

So while this may appear to be a huge jump, is it really?

Can someone explain this better and confirm if this case is true with this test as well?
    Krissy in New Hampshire

DX: Antiphospholipid syndrome, Raynauds, Lyme disease, and lupus "suspect"