Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stress and relaxation

Thanks

Default stress and relaxation

I guess my question now is what is everyone doing for stress reduction. They are some things I can control and some not. I have a really good job, I work from home and have really flexible hours. That's a blessing. I have to be the caregiver for my husband but do make him do more for himself or he will let me do almost everything. I am learning to delecate and it's good for him anyway. The problem ends up being that he gets mad at me for being on his case about things. I have it coming becaue before I got sick I did everything for everyone. I have to figure some things out but what some ideas. I have started a journal and find it relaxing. I also am making sure i read every night and try to work on my puzzle books every night. I am reading a really good book right now on Lupus and find it refreshing and helpful. I want to see about yoga or breathing exercises but need to get a video to use at home. Any suggestions from anyone. What other things has anyone tired. I am open to anything. :lol:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, some of the most important things that we do, you've already begun them:
    * Exercising on a regular basis is one of the BEST ways to relieve stress.
    * Writing about stressful events and circumstances can also help to relieve stress and improve diseases linked to stress (such as Lupus and many of its overlapping illnesses). Write for 10 to 15 minutes a day about stressful events and how you felt. One way to use writing to deal with stress is to keep a stress journal. This can really help you identify the sources of stress in your life so that you can find better ways to cope with them.
    * Coming here to us to openly and honestly discuss your feelings about events and circumstances that cause you stress. Discussing how you feel is an important way of coping with and relieving stress. Laughing and crying are also natural ways to release tension and frustration. They are both part of a normal emotional healing process.
    * Mindfulness activities help relax your mind and are often combined with body-centered relaxation exercises. Some people use meditation, some people use prayer, some people use yoga, some people use music. Whichever form appeals to you, try to use it regularly (several times per day if needed) and you will find that it is a very good way of coping with and relieving stress.

Those are my suggestions. Perhaps other members will be along with other suggestions that have worked for them. You are already on the right path for relieving you stress, keep up the good work. Remember, we are here for you to help you in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi Iman...

Stress, how to control outside forces is the question of the decade. I jokingly remind everyone that I have become "simple minded" and can only do one thing (or concentrate on one thing) at a time. I used to apologize for not being the "caregiver to all" anymore. I no longer beat myself up...there are plenty of people in this world just waiting for the chance.

Be good to yourself, and keep up the great work. You obviously have a plan, and we can all learn from your work.

share a smile today,
    phyllis

Thanks

Default journal writing

I have began a journal. I try to every year and always give it up but I have found that I know like to write my stresses, my symptoms good or bad for the day and just a little bit about what's going on. It has helped me to focus on things and writing it down has helped me to let go of the things I need to let go of. That I like and would encourage other to journal.
    Ladyrn
    "I will not let this disease define who I am"
    Dx-Lupus, Sjogren's syndrome,antiphosolipid antibiody syndrome, hashimoto's and fibromyalgia and insomina.
    Meds-Plaquniel, Methotrexate, Vit D, Flax seed, asprin, lipitor,armour,premarin,celebrex,folic acid,ambien,hydrocodone,skelaxin,colace,imodium,pr ilosec,antibiotics, and new ones added daily

Thanks

Default sea monkey

since I am so new here can anyone tell me why under my name is says sea monkey? and where did the butterflies come from. Just curious 8)
    Ladyrn
    Dx-Lupus, Sjogren's syndrome,antiphosolipid antibiody syndrome, hashimoto's and fibromyalgia and insomina.
    Meds-Plaquniel, Methotrexate, Vit D, Flax seed, asprin, lipitor,armour,premarin,celebrex,folic acid,ambien,hydrocodone,skelaxin,colace,imodium,pr ilosec,antibiotics, and new ones added daily

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Re: sea monkey

Quote Originally Posted by lmangusrn
    since I am so new here can anyone tell me why under my name is says sea monkey? and where did the butterflies come from. Just curious 8)
    That information is highly classified. You have to know the secret handshake and have a WeHaveLupus secret decoder ring before we can tell you these things.

Rob

Thanks

:shock: Rob ya little tart.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Imangusrn....

I had to think about your question for awhile....about the things that have helped me get through stress and pain. Others have given you some great suggestions...I would try all of them and see what works best for you. Definitely keep up the journal, that one is an excellent idea. And exercise really works well as a release. Even if it's easy, gentle exercise.

One of the things that has helped me through my roughest periods of extreme stress (and pain) are movies. Especially comedies! :lol: :lol: I've got a collection of my favorite funny movies....'Captain Ron', '50 First Dates', 'RV', 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', 'Austin Powers' (Okay, so I've got a weird sense of funny :lol: ),"Saturday Night Live DVD's from the first five years", etc. Sometimes a good movie will pull you in, and occupy your mind for a few hours so you get a break from life's stress.

When the stress gets to be too much and my mind needs a break, I'll pull out a good movie that will make me laugh, pop some popcorn, find my fuzzy bunny slippers, and let my mind have a vacation. 8)

If money is an issue, you might check at your local library, ours has an enormous movie and video room, and you can check them out for free.

Another stress reliever I use that is pretty much free (except for the cost of water) is a long, hot bubble bath. I tell my family 'Calgon is taking me away' and to leave me alone. I fill up my jacuzzi bathtub, use my special bubble bath from Maui, fill my bathroom with candles and soft, relaxing music and take a break from it all. This one is good right before bedtime....so you can slip into bed without encountering any more stress.

I hope this will be helpful to you, and again, sorry it took me so long to reply. Sometimes that brain fog is just sooooo thick, you have to wade through it and hope you come out on the other side.

Fondly,

Lori :P

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Imangusrn,

I do some fairly simple things to manage stress. I find that escape works well. A hobby, even a simple one can be something that can take you away from lifes daily grind and recharge your batteries. I like to tinker with toy trains.

And watching movies helps me as well. A good sci-fi, or something funny, can take you away temporarily to a place where stress cannot follow. I also try to do physical activities that are within my limits. A short walk, with lots of stops to rest, and "smell the roses" is a good one. Also, a good play session with pets if you have them, can really do a person good. My cats love to chase a string, or chase the red dot from one of those little laser pointer gadgets. try to find things that are easy, and within your limitations.

Rob

P.S. I was just kidding with you about the "classified" stuff. The names we get are pre-programmed to show up and change depending on how many posts a person has. I have to assume the Admin/Owner Conrad thought up the names. It's all automatic. It helps to keep things lighthearted.

Thanks

Smile Rob

Rob you are to funny. I figured our names had something to do with that. Sorry not to have posted for several days. I have been out of town. My mother recently passed awaya nd I had to go help the family take care of her house and things. Althought it was a lot of hard work and long hours (both of which have really kicked me in the butt) I found that my two sisters and I had a great time remembering things and laughing to hard we would cry. I think that laughter is a great medicine and stress reliever and I hope I can find something everyday to laugh about.
    Ladyrn