Thread: Introducing myself

Thanks

Default Introducing myself

Hi, I am new to this forum and I would like to introduce myself to anyone who would like to hear from me. Call me Rudy. I am 76 years of age and having a ball since I retired in 1993. Live with my wife in South Carolina. By the way, my wife lost her eyesight to Hydroxychloroquine, the generic for Plaquenil. Got a story to tell about her experiences. Was not that simple.
    The injury could have been avoided but medical mistakes, oversights, lack of attention to the patient's complaints and a host of other reasons contributed to the injury. She had been using the drug for about six years before doctors acknowledged that she had sustained Plaquenil retinopathy. The condition is irreversible.
    Want to talk about it? Reply.

Thanks

Hello Rudy and Welcome

I'm glad you found us. Wow, 76 years young. Congrats on your fun retirement. What kinds of hobbies or interests do you have?

I'm so sorry about your wife. :cry: Please tell her I'll say a prayer for her. How long have you been married? Please feel free to share your story with us about her medical situation. I'm really sorry her condition was caused by medical oversights, that just stinks!

This is a place where you can share with us, unload your worries, ask questions, and learn from others. Or just come to share a laugh, we all like that.

How long have you had Lupus? Just curious.

Again, welcome. Make yourself at home. I know the others will join in soon to say hi.

Fondly,

Lori :P

Thanks

Hi ya Rudy....

Welcome...I would love to hear your story...

I am very sorry your wife fell through the cracks and has suffered as a result of...

Happy to hear you are enjoying life, having a ball. I always enjoy a joyful post with fill activity. So, whatcha been doing since retirement, Rudy?

I am in South Carolina too. A transplant from Seattle. You?

Again welcome to the forum..
    Keep well. Hugs.
    Oluwa

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello Rudy,

My name is Rob, and I'm a Moderator here. I am 41 and was diagnosed with SLE 5 years ago. I've been taking Plaquenil on and off for about 3.5 years. One of the most common discussions we have here is about Hydroxychloroquinine and it's side effects. Of course, the worst side effect that concerns us all has unfortunately happened to your wife, and I am sorry.

Another common discussion here is the shocking ignorance, and indifference so many in the medical community display towards those with Lupus. We would be happy to hear the story of your Wife and your experiences. Anything that you could write that could possibly help others to be aware of the situation that caused your wifes loss of sight, would be a good thing, and we would welcome anything you choose to share. Welcome to our group.

Rob

Thanks

Default Reply to Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Rastagirl
    Hello Rudy and Welcome

I'm glad you found us. Wow, 76 years young. Congrats on your fun retirement. What kinds of hobbies or interests do you have?

I'm so sorry about your wife. :cry: Please tell her I'll say a prayer for her. How long have you been married? Please feel free to share your story with us about her medical situation. I'm really sorry her condition was caused by medical oversights, that just stinks!

This is a place where you can share with us, unload your worries, ask questions, and learn from others. Or just come to share a laugh, we all like that.

How long have you had Lupus? Just curious.

Again, welcome. Make yourself at home. I know the others will join in soon to say hi.

Fondly,

Lori :P
    Lori,

I am having problems using this forum. Never done this thing in the past. Hope I am doing this right. In answer to your questions first, we have been married for 55 years, have five grown children (as you would expect of a person 76 years old), 10 grandchildren and 2 greatgrandchildren. Second, my wife's medical problems began when she was diagnosed with lupus in 1996. She did not have the disease but we did not learn about misdiagnosis until eight years later. By that time, she was already blind from the effects of Plaquenil (generic Hydroxychloroquine). She was under the constant care of three physicians but none had seen what was coming down.
    I wrote a book describing the events that led to this tragedy. In case you are interested, you could purchase from any bookstore. The title is "I Believed What Her Doctors Told Me" by R A Abraham. I need to share my experiences with others because I am convinced that there are lessons to be learned. However, if you choose not to buy the book, I would be happy to continue a dialog with you or anyone else about medical mistakes, caregiving and other health issues keeping in mind that I am not a medical professional. Thank you so much for your welcome and I hope to hear from you again.

Sincerely,

Rudy

Thanks

Awwwww, just wanted to say HI RUDY!

WOW, congratulations on your wonderful life and your wonderful attitude! There aren't many people with such a good outlook with what you've been through.

I love that you have so many kids,grandkids and great grandkids! 55yrs of marriage is also a wonderful thing to hear!

So SORRY about your wife :cry: I'm only 36 but im learning a lot about the ignorance and "god-like" attitude of doctors. They dont take the time for their patients and they seem "bothered" if you need to see them too often. My doctor overlooked so many sympyoms and test results for 2 yrs that when i finally put it all together im at my worst. Unfortunately i trusted her when she told me "its in my head,im young and healthy".

Thank you for telling us about your book,i love to read anyways so this will be an easy buy.

You and your wife take care of yourselves and that BIG family of yours!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Rudy;
    Welcome to our family. I see that you've already been welcomed and cared for by our members. I just wanted to make sure that I added my welcome to the ones you've already received.
    I am sorry to hear about the Plaquenil retinopathy suffered by you wife, especially since (as you say) it could have been avoided. Are you taking Plaquenil for your lupus?
    I am sure that you will get the hang of using these forums. You are already making a very good start. I am glad that you are here.....Welcome again.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Introducing Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    Hello Rudy;
    Welcome to our family. I see that you've already been welcomed and cared for by our members. I just wanted to make sure that I added my welcome to the ones you've already received.
    I am sorry to hear about the Plaquenil retinopathy suffered by you wife, especially since (as you say) it could have been avoided. Are you taking Plaquenil for your lupus?
    I am sure that you will get the hang of using these forums. You are already making a very good start. I am glad that you are here.....Welcome again.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Hi,

Thank you for the welcome. It always feels good to get them. I need to clarify something before it is taken out of context. First, I do not have systemic lupus. My wife was diagnosed with the disease in 1996 by a rheumatologist. Because of certain problems she was having with this physician, she consulted another. This new doctor immediately questioned the lupus diagnosis. He could find no evidence in her medical history that assured him she had the disease. This was later confirmed by an expert who was hired to examine her medical history. She was immediately taken off all treatments that targeted lupus, in 2004. She has had no lupus flare or other manifestations consistent with lupus. It is now believed that she might have Sjogren's syndrome but this has not yet been confirmed. The lupus misdiagnosis came after she had already lost her eyesight to Plaquenil (the generic HCQ).
    My focus in this forum is on the effects of Plaquenil or its generic Hydroxychloroquine. I do have problems with the methods by different doctors in diagnosing lupus. As you should know, it is a very difficult disease to diagnose because some of its symptoms mimic other diseases. However, I have not addressed that issue on this forum.

Just for your information.

Rudy

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Re: Introducing Myself

Quote Originally Posted by rabraham09
    Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    Hello Rudy;

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Hi,

Thank you for the welcome. It always feels good to get them. I need to clarify something before it is taken out of context. First, I do not have systemic lupus. My wife was diagnosed with the disease in 1996 by a rheumatologist. Because of certain problems she was having with this physician, she consulted another. This new doctor immediately questioned the lupus diagnosis. He could find no evidence in her medical history that assured him she had the disease. This was later confirmed by an expert who was hired to examine her medical history. She was immediately taken off all treatments that targeted lupus, in 2004. She has had no lupus flare or other manifestations consistent with lupus. It is now believed that she might have Sjogren's syndrome but this has not yet been confirmed. The lupus misdiagnosis came after she had already lost her eyesight to Plaquenil (the generic HCQ).
    My focus in this forum is on the effects of Plaquenil or its generic Hydroxychloroquine. I do have problems with the methods by different doctors in diagnosing lupus. As you should know, it is a very difficult disease to diagnose because some of its symptoms mimic other diseases. However, I have not addressed that issue on this forum.

Just for your information.

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Don't worry, this site is just as much for family members of those with Lupus, as it is for those who have the disease, and for that matter for those who think they may have Lupus. Your thoughts and wisdom are welcome additions here.

Rob