Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatigue and Insomnia

Thanks

Default Fatigue and Insomnia

Help friends! I have a double edged sword situation here! I can literally go days without sleeping at all(once it was 11 consecutive days!!!!!) I have tried Trazadone and Remeron and both cause a huge hangover. Any other options? I have kids, so the hangover is definetely a problem.

Secondly, lets say I do sleep.....then I cannot get up. It's almost worse that if I just stay awake.

Is there anyone out there who is taking or doing something for sleep deprivation AND fatigue? What are people doing for the endless fatigue? Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Well..

There was one time, about 10 years ago, before I was even aware I had an immune system, much less that it was plotting against me, when I stayed awake for just over a month straight. No sleep, not even a nap, just stay up all night, then shower, change and go to work, come home to stay up all night again. God, was I pissed. I was convinced that if I didn't get some sleep, I'd have to start randomly punching people in the supermarket til they had to knock me out to arrest me. I'm still not even sure how I got thru my shifts at work, or took care of my then-preschool aged eldest son.

Eventually, I hit on a solution that actually worked, though I don't recommend it for those with a compromised immune system.

I started by buying two fifths of scotch, and scheduling a week off of work (that turned out to be a very smart thing, too). Then I spent the entire night after I put my son to bed sitting in my darkened livingroom, listening to the stereo, and polishing off a good chunk of the first bottle. Apparently, the sun came up at some point, and my roommate got home, though I still have no memory of a lengthy conversation she swears we had around daybreak. In fact, I really don't recall much of anything for the next 5 days, as I was blissfully unconscious.

I've had to repeat the procedure twice, but can't anymore due to some rather stern words my doctor had for me when I described it the last time I had a bout of insomnia. Now he insists that I take yet another pill in order to sleep.

Funny thing is, I rarely drink at all, otherwise. I think it's been.. ummmm 6-7 weeks since I had an ameretto sour while waiting at a restaurant bar for my table, lol.

Becka
    "Bleh" sums it up nicely, don't you think?

Thanks

Default Insomnia

Becka,
    I've been up all night yet again....strangely, I'm in a fabulous mood. You know what's interesting...I stopped drinking around Christmas time for no apparent reason-just didn't feel like it. My insomnia has resurfaced with a vengence. Not that I ever REALLY drank, but beer has always been a Friday night treat, you know? I too have been sternly advised not to partake. I have liver and kidney involvement and a recurring seizure disorder.

So other than the extreme scotch example, what's a guy to do? I used to take Provigil for fatigue, but then I felt like I was on speed and of course couldn't come down in time to sleep. UGH!!!!

What is the med you are on for sleep?

Thanks for responding, and I appreciate the listen!

Thanks

Default Bleh.

Lately, he's got me on Ambien for the sleep deprivation. I also found it helped to get a regular pre-bedtime ritual going, as it seems to shorten the frequent weeks-long insomnia down to more manageable levels.

I run a hot bath, pour in foaming milk&honey bath, and (believe it or not) float about 4-6 chamomile tea bags in it, then steep myself liberally until the water starts to cool, or I start to feel drowsy.. a quick (but not too brisk) towel-off, and hop into bed. No reading for at least an hour before my bath, and nothing to eat after 7pm, either.

Sometimes, though, when that just won't cut it, I call the doc after my first sleepless night, and he renews my Ambien prescription. I have to be careful with it, though, because it can cause withdrawals if I stop taking it cold turkey.

I also have liver and spleen issues, etc etc etc, as you'll see if you read my post under Meet Our Members.

Hope that helps!
    Becka

Thanks

Default Insomnia

Thanks Becka!

Alot of folks have mentioned Ambien. I just worry about the hangover. I have to do something!

Thanks

Default Yup.

The hangover's kind of a bear, true.. but honestly, are you any better off living in a mental semi-coma?

Thanks

Default Insomnia

For sure...to all of it. It's a mental block I have to all medications. I will take myself out of using it because of the side effects. As the years go on, I get worse and worse about taking my meds. I'm tired of popping pills, so I just don't.

Anyone else do that?

Bleh...what a powerful word.

Thanks

Default *NODNODNODNOD*

Yeah, tired of popping pills is a nice way to put it. Not to mention the nausea, the feeling of helplessness, etc, because you take all these pills and it doesn't actually get BETTER. All you end up doing is staving off the inevitable, it seems.

Can you tell the depression is in full force today?

Becka

Thanks

Default Insomnia

Mine is too. I didn't sleep at all last night. Got 2 hours this morning, but I have a 4 year old at home with me. Was able to get some lunch and my one basic necessity, Diet Coke, down. It's a beautiful day, so I hope to get out to enjoy it. (Do you see me working on my bad attitude? It's probably not a good try, but a try nonetheless).

Thanks

Default LOL

At least you are trying. The only thing trying around here is my 6 yr old on my patience.. Luckily my teenager is still in school, for the time being.