Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teeth

Thanks

Hey Girl,
    I hope you're doing better with your new "choppers". I've had similar problems with my teeth all of my life. It certainly all makes sense now that I know that this is a symptom of Sjogren's.
    While I was teaching, I was covered under the district's great dental plan, as well as the plan for the AF Reserves. I took advantage and got a large number of my teeth crowned and even got one implant.
    Man, did I hate the proceedure for getting that implant. Now, I no longer have any dental insurance, so I hope that what was done stays put!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I remember having all my wisdom teeth pulled at once and can only imagine your pain. But, I can't wait to see a pic of you miling and showing off your beautiful new chompers! Wear them well and with good health!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hot momma has pretty new teeth and it is an adjustment but no where near as horrible as I thought it would be. If you're suffering with dental issues - Stop suffering and go to a dentist so you don't lose them. XOXO
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

aww glad you got new teeth,yes i agree im undergoing extensive dental work in uk to save a tooth asbcess underneath had anti biotics root canal an still infected so more anti biotic into tooth itself and give time to heal meantime tooth filled with temporary filling to stop food/bacteria getting in purchased a good electric rechargeable toothbrush as i also have rheumatoid arthritis so cleaning my teeth was becoming difficult.

i went hospital to see dental consultant waste time.
    said carnt give any help that dentist.

carnt give lol.

melly c

Thanks

justomegirlindallas, and others, did your dental issues co-incide with ulcers/sores in your mouth? As the sores ebbed & flowed, did your teeth troubles follow? I've got a couple of spots where my mouth sores seem to "gravitate" to, down by the lower molar on the left side lately. I'm a regular at the dentist, and it's uncanny how many times I've been told about the sores (little did I know of the correlation with lupus then). How about plaque? Do you have what a dentist refers to as "obstinant, prodigious amounts"?... lol (in spite of your best efforts with flossing & brushing).

Good luck with the new choppers, justomegirlindallas, and may you never get a sesame seed between them & your gums (old Chinese proverb/saying... tic).

Blog Entries
    Thanks

jmail - if your mouth doesnt have the right balance chemically you will be prone to more plaque build up than the next guy. Oral Hygeine needs may have to be altered for your situation as a result.. I had to eventually move to brushing and flossing after every single meal and snack and limit my beverages to only water to slow down the problems.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justomegirlindallas View Post
    Just wanted to give an update. I had my oral surgery last wednesday and no longer have a single tooth in my head. It hurt like hell and I haven't been wearing my dentures very much because my gums have been so swollen but I have to wear them today because I go back to work. It will take some getting used to. Thanks for the support.
    I had my last 6 teeth out 6 months ago and got the lower denture right away...Dentist advised me not to remove it for at least a week...except to rinse.....Was much easier to get used to than the top set....felt like a horse for weeks with those....and took forever to learn how to talk properly. Wear them as much as you possibly can...soon you will not even notice they are there.

Thanks

I'm so glad
    I saw this post! Within the past year my teeth have gotten so bad. And it never made sense to me because I take such good care of my teeth. Brushing, flossing, oil pulling. And last night I went to the dentist after a year and a half, I have to get 3 teeth pulled and 2000$ in fillings. How does lupus tie in with dental problems?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ltucker85 View Post
    ....... How does lupus tie in with dental problems?
    there is a number of reasons some lupus sufferers have dental issues.

poor blood circulation causes gum problems.
    dry mouth causes severasl issues, including increases decay.
    even things like not being able to move your arm is a good patten when brushing your teeth, (fatigue), makes a big difference.
    certain medications have side effects that effect our teeth.

these are 4 that come to mind very quickly.

Thanks

Quite coincidentally I went for a dental cleaning thursday last week-extensive decay above a crown was found no choice but to have the tooth pulled.

My dentist pulled x-rays from 15 months ago which showed no decay involving this tooth.

Dentist suggested it may be from sjorgens (which I don't have a diagnoses of but eye dr thinks quite possible as well) or complication of all the meds I take.

This is certainly a wake up call to add my dentist to my can't miss appointments list.