Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Teeth

I've had dental problems most of my life and I have less than 16 teeth left. MOst of them that are missing are back teeth as I paid thousands of dollars in dental care over the years to keep my teeth as long as I can.

I've always been told I have a dry mouth by my dentists. I had debilitating fear of dentists for most of my life. My teeth really started falling apart when in my mid-teens and I went to several dentists for extensive work. Then when I was 21 I found an older independent dentist that saved a lot of my teeth. (One I saw before that said I needed to have all of my teeth pulled and have dentures) I spent many years being berrated for my dental health by dental health professionals. My last dentist was the first one to tell me that I had a saliva problem and gave me special mouthwash to use to slow down the rate of decay in my teeth.

I went to a prosthedontist and there is no way I can pay for dental implants. I am terrified of getting dentures but I am also exposing myself to potentially lethal infections not to mention many other problems associated with dental problems. In short, I've been postponing the inevitable and I'm really sick of worrying about when my next tooth is going to break or when I'm going to get another abscess..

Now that I have HMO dental insurance, this year may be the best time for me to bite the bullet and start the process of getting my dental situation handled. (ie get consult for dentures)

I'm depressed about being 28 years old and losing my teeth. I don't know that I have any real questions about that as much as I just need some support and hopefully someone to respond that is in the same situation

I can't believe how depressed I get over this - It makes me feel like such a wuss.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

Gentle hugs to ya justomegirlindallas

Support? YOU GOT IT! Hugs to ya. You have every right to feel the way you are feeling.

My mother had lupus, she had all of her teeth removed by the time she was 24. I only ever knew her as having dentures.

She used to harp on us about cleaning our teeth and taking proper care because like you she had been told that she didn't take good enough care of her teeth and that's why they had to be removed.

I'm 48 yrs old, so back when my mom was 24, nothing was known about lupus or dry mouth...she was forced in to feeling shame when it wasn't her fault.

I know she was deep embarrised by wearing dentures, I'm equally embarries about my hairloss.

There are just some things that we have no control over, and it's a struggle to embrace ourselves for who and what we are now.

There are times when I accept who I have become, and times when I RAIL against it.

Get your new teeth and I hope they give you a beautiful smile
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Don't feel like a wuss, you are not. You are simply being put in a situation that is stinky and its not your fault. I would be upset too. In fact, your post has HELPED me b/c it makes me wonder if all of my dental problems are related to this disease. Very interesting. Gives me somethign to talk to my doc about at my next appointment.

Support is here - lots of positive thoughts coming your way!
    Amy
    Mommy to a cute little three year old.
    I am a Juvenile Diabetic diagnosed at age 12, Positive ANA, arthritic joint pain, extreme fatigue, cannot take prednisone and am allergic to Plaquenil. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder, Graves disease and fibromyalgia

Thanks

(((Anna))) the dentists can do amazing things - so glad you can get dentures -

you've had a lot to deal with in your young life - stay strong!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sits_inthe_corner
    Gentle hugs to ya justomegirlindallas
    My mother had lupus, she had all of her teeth removed by the time she was 24. I only ever knew her as having dentures.

She used to harp on us about cleaning our teeth and taking proper care because like you she had been told that she didn't take good enough care of her teeth and that's why they had to be removed.

I'm 48 yrs old, so back when my mom was 24, nothing was known about lupus or dry mouth...she was forced in to feeling shame when it wasn't her fault.

I know she was deep embarrised by wearing dentures, I'm equally embarries about my hairloss.
    It is embarrassing - I've very sorry that you have had to deal with hair loss and your mother had to go through her ordeal as well.

Thank you for your encouragement.
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee993
    Gives me somethign to talk to my doc about at my next appointment.

Support is here - lots of positive thoughts coming your way!
    Thank you! Especially if you have Sjogren's, you're at increased risk of having dental problems. I have a feeling dental problems resulting from Autoimmune related diseases is one of the least talked about problems of the diseases.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh i just read this post,

oh i feel for you truly. I recently had lock jaw and missed the whole of christmas and stayed in hospital through the new year for 5 days. I got lock jaw 3 times and now my jaw isnt in the right place. So when i sleep even with the splint, i break my teeth. They yanked one out whilst in hospital and this week ive been put to sleep again.They're trying to save 2 other teeth. Let me tell you...deep down i know in my heart they both will have to go. My teeth are healthy but my jaw keeps knocking them. Im in so much pain still and have to suck food....toast is weird to suck on lol but when you are hungry its amazing what you come up with to eat. If i loose em thats 3 chewing teeth gone. Like you im afraid of the implant things. I do joke about getting dentures but its not funny really. I cope by joking. I do hope you get sorted soon and they can save your teeth. Wilst i was in hospital a 20 year old girl had all her teeth out cause she had erm...a disease that eats through your gums and her teeth were falling out...sorry i forgot the name. But i said to her are you scared and upset? She told me if she kept her teeth just for vanity she would die and she was in pain. She went on to show me her new set of dentures. I was amazed. She was'nt going to wear them straight away, but it shut me up. She was actually happy cause they looked so real and would'nt have to suffer anymore. I just thought...if that was me id be devastated.But i suppose when it get so bad.....health or vanity....i suppose you have to do what you do.
    Anyway, lets hope you get sorted and we both get to keep our teeth. I hope this post doesnt scare you....i realised the story....i mean its meant to help not make you worry. Hope you understand what i mean lol

Love
    Angel.xx

Thanks

I am glad you wrote this post I have to find a dentist to get checked because my teeth are always aching i never thought that it could be from my lupus. I know how you feel except its my hair and for a girl you know hair is a big deal and i have golf ball size bald spots that are as smooth as a babies bottom no joke but thank god for weave so get your teeth and im going to get me some more weave and we will both look great. and you are not a wuss you wake up and deal with lupus everyday thats super hero stuff
    Lupus is not my problem, I gave it to God.
    Age 26
    medications: Atacand,Cellcept,Nifedical,prednisone, minocycline, Ammonium lactate cream

Thanks

Thanks for your candor with the dental issues. I've had dental issues since I was a kid (not helpes by my addiction to sugar). I had braces in my teens so that I would not be embarrassed to smile back at a boy (my dad's words). I, too, fear having dentures and know that dental implants would be very expensive. I have dental insurance (but the cap is pretty low). I heard of a dentist in my area that is experienced with Sjogren's and has been successful in submitting dental bills to medical insurance because a medical condition (Sjogren's) caused the dental problems. I will see the dentist in June.

I would ask your rheumy about getting further labs/diagnostic studies done to determine if you have Sjogren's as well as SLE.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just wanted to give an update. I had my oral surgery last wednesday and no longer have a single tooth in my head. It hurt like hell and I haven't been wearing my dentures very much because my gums have been so swollen but I have to wear them today because I go back to work. It will take some getting used to. Thanks for the support.