Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated with Doctors

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedHairAngel
    it is because of the lack of treatment from my doctors that prompted me to get my medical records and I found out I have either a needle or clamp left behind from my gallbladder surgery I know this because I got my medical records from the last 20 years from all my doctors so I could get a dx and try and prove that it isn't all in my head I am not crazey that there is something wrong and there is something wrong it just been over looked.!!! I have a dozen radiologist reports that state the foreign object hasn't moved since previous exams no one told me till I read these reports myself!

I also got on the internet and went through my blood tests for the last three years my CRP and white blood count and another test I forgot the name of was elevated. and when I showed this stuff to my PCP who had never gotten any of these reports from my GI he was shocked. I am having a CT contrast scan on THursday they are doing a full body scan to see what kind of damage I have from my immune system because of my blood #'s are still whacky and to try and pin point what kind of foriegn object was left behind and where and whether or not it needs to come out.

I have been through hell and back emotionally, I get a dx then the doc took that away, I have been told I am crazy, it is all in my head. I have taken heavy duty drugs for Crohn's and turns out I don't have it?! but yet I have most of the symptoms of it or an immune disorder. I am tired I want to give up but I can't not till I prove to these morons I am not crazy.

RedHairAngel
    Does the clamp / needle show up on the xray? (can you see it?) do the clinical impressions indicate foriegn object?
    Yes, foreign objects left behind *can* cause your immune system to go nuts. You are not crazy - you are ill. Do not give up.

Something you need to keep in mind is a possible foreign object left in your body could = litigation exposure for some poor soul somewhere. This may cause you some problems if you use terminology which suggests lawsuit or some other nonsense. Having a foreign object left in your our abdomen used to be quite common (believe it or not) especially sponges! Those things disappear quite easily when you're body is cut open. Doesn't happen as much these days thanks to improved medical procedures.

If you GP acted shocked and is doing a CT w/ contrast on Thursday then it sounds like someone is taking you seriously somewhere. You should be able to request a copy of your CT on a CD from radiology before you leave (though you may have to wait a couple of days for the interpretation) Just tell radiology that you need to bring your CD to your doctor. You should be able to view it on your computer / make a copy.

If its a foreign object, you do have the right to ask it to be removed (be careful to ask about the pros/cons of doing this and weight the risks/benefits accordingly) You may need to be referred to a surgeon for this.

I would still strongly recommend the outline

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Justomegirlindallas,

Wow, thank you for posting such an extensive, and practical list
    filled with excellent advice. I'm not new to Lupus and Dr. difficulties
    subject, but there are a couple of suggestions in your post that I've
    never thought of, and could certainly help me, as well as many
    others. Well done.

Rob
    Thank you for your kind compliments. It is because of members on this board i managed to get my stuff in order!

Thanks

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and your stories.
    Rob or Sassy could we make girlindallas' response a sticky for preparing for Doctor's appointments?--it was outstanidng.
    I do usually write down my symptoms and give it to them but I never outlined a summary of the records I just handed it to them (I have tons of copies-I made the mistake of handing over my orignals once ).
    And please don't fault me for my former career...but if the foreign object was left and it caused you problems (which may be or may not be reversible) you should think of contacting a Mal-practice attorney. Most states the Statute of Limittions (amount of time you have to sue) is 5 years, there are always exceptions to the rules so a free consultation never hurts. One of the reasons the legal system was implemented was for penalizing for gross negligence. You are not doing it for $ you are doing it to defer that practice so it doesn't happen to someone else. We all make mistakes some are forgivable accidents some are gross incompetence. None of us want doctors out there that "cut you open and go to the bank and cash a check while you are still on the surgery table"--True stroy about 7-8 years ago in Boston (thankfully doctor lost his license.)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spanglishqueen
    Thank you all for sharing your wisdom and your stories.
    Rob or Sassy could we make girlindallas' response a sticky for preparing for Doctor's appointments?--it was outstanidng.
    Excellent idea. I'll run it by the boss,

and if I get the OK, I'll make it a sticky.

Justomegirlindallas, Please check your

Private Messages, I sent you a note

concerning this idea. Thanks,

Rob

Thanks

Default doctors

Doctors are best friends even when they tell to your face that that doctor treated you wrong.
    leaf

Thanks

I feel so sad for you and at the same time glad that I read your story - my diagnosis is also "undifferentiated connective tissue disorder" I have a positive ANA, I have pretty rough at times joint pain, I have fatigue, low D (but that they believe is related to my rny surgery), I have aches, pains and blahs and I'm only 32.

Anyway it is nice to have someone(s) to share this with. I am sorry you have to deal with it though. Thankfully my Rheumy has been great so far and very understanding but my previous one was not so much. I worry a lot about life/work/etc. I have a wonderful three year old son and I work as a nurse. It is a busy life but I love it, I just need to make my body love it too LOL!

Thanks

It seems in my experience...Rheumatologists have the biggest GOD complexes out there.

and when your trying to get a diagnosis and feel better, you aren't going to get along well.

I often ask myself why they bother going into the field of medicine, if they don't want to "listen" to someones symptoms. Is it because we bore them and our symptoms sound repetitive?? Perhaps they should have gone into Emergency Medicine instead, you always get the "wildest" of cases there...

Anyways, I feel you when you say dr's sometimes just don't show empathy, nor do they listen much...
    "at the end of the day, you either focus on what separates you, or what holds you together..."

24 years old

Interstitial cystitis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Hypertension, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Ovarian cysts, Vasovagel, Reynauds.

...waiting for a Lupus diagnosis

Thanks

I agree....laughter is they key and sometimes the best medicine for us!

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer
    bugs bunny in drag, that is an enjoyable picture.

humor is a crucial weapon in the war we are in for our lives.

welcome, i am glad you are here. We all support and never question each other. where else can you find this support? i havent' found it.

share a smile today,
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram