Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits.............

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Benefits.............

hey i got my results for my benefits, which it was a result!!!

works out that im entitled to the full amount of benefit for my rent i think it works out for me to pay 3.05 a week for my 1 bedroomed house, im not sure what the situ is with the tax yet but i will let you know, also the lady was telling me that im also entitled to an additional 9 a week i think its incapicity allowence?? i will have to go to jobcentre and inquire about this, well every little helps i guess, so hopefully in 2 weeks i can be sick in peace without worrying about rent and tax!!!
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

That's great news. The stress of not being able to pay the rent can put a person into a never-ending flare. I was incredibly relieved when I was approved for full Social Security Disability Benefits. It's not a huge amount, but it's enough if I stick to a tight budget.

Thanks

Rob,

How long did it take you to get approved for Social Security Disability? I am starting the process but I have heard it can take up to 2 years and I just don't know how I can financially do that. I am not working and have applied for assistance with all my meds but my insurance is $500 a month and I have to pay it. I feel so lost and I feel as though life is out of control which is physically making me feel worse than I already do :cry: I am scared and lost. Do you have any advice :?: Thanks you.

Danica
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Hi Danica,

It took me about 6 months from filing the paperwork to actually getting paid. Basically my GP and my Rheumo filled out forms saying that I have indeed been diagnosed with SLE. Then I had to see a Doctor and a shrink who work for the Social Security Administration to once again verify the diagnosis and make sure I was OK in the head. Both the Dr. and Shrink I had to see were down on Bell Rd and 40th St. in North Phoenix. I also had to see an SSI Case Worker out near Scottsdale Airport who helped me through the process of doing the paperwork and setting up the Dr. visits.

I have to say that the Case Worker and the SSI Dr. and Shrink were incredibly helpful and understanding. It really made the process go smoothly. The best advice I can give you is to fill out all the paperwork correctly and as soon as possible. I physically carried the forms to My DR and Rheumo, and I picked them up in person as well. That saved alot of time and I was able to make sure everything was in my hands, and in order. You shouuld talk to an SSI Caseworker now if you haven't already. You can find an office close to you on the SSI website, or you can call the local SSI office which I believe is still down in the area of 7th st and Cactus. Get the ball rolling, stay on top of the paperwork, and don't miss any appointments with the SSI folks.

I've heard some horror stories about having to fight with the SSI in order to be approved for benefits, but that was not the case for me at all. In fact, the Caseworker told me that chronic incurable diseases like Lupus are basically a slam dunk. I hope all this helps. Let me know if there is any other way I could help you.

Rob

Thanks

Rob, what did they base your disability on? Does it have anything to do with how often you have flares...and how intense they are?
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.

Thanks

Hi Mary Jane,

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact details, it's been 5 years now. But, basically this is how it worked in my case. My Dr./Rheumo attested that I was unable to work say, 75% of the time. The 25% of the time that I could work was not enough for me to be able to hold down any sort of job, even part time. My flares were and still are unpredictable to the point of me never being able to adhere to any sort of work schedule. So, even though I do have a couple of good days each week, they could never be predicted and thus the random nature of Lupus and flares makes me totally unemployable.

The Psychologist, and the SSI Caseworker both gave me fairly extensive interviews, to determine my state of mind, to see my attitude about my condition and work. I guess the best way to put it was that they were sizing me up to determine if I truly had a desire to work but couldn't, or if I was exaggerating and making more of my disability than it really was in order to get out of work and get paid by SSI for doing nothing. They wanted to know if I was a malingerer/goldbrick in other words.

In my situation, It was rather cut and dry. I was the owner/ceo of my company and as such, I would have little to no motivation to try to get out of work. Basically, I was the boss, I could come and go as I pleased, and I was making a decent enough amount of money that it would not make sense for me to give up what I was earning in trade for the meager amount I would get each month in disability pay. And, I guess it was obvious that I was working my "dream job" and I had spent so much time and effort to build the business that the only way I would ever give it up would be involuntarily due to illness.

The interviews were quite personal and detailed, but they were not like I was being grilled or interrogated. They (SSI) were very nice and really wanted to help. One thing that they both mentioned was the fact that Lupus falls into a category of disabilities that are considered more serious than most, and the fact that there is no cure makes it forgone conclusion that unless you go into remission, or some brilliant person discovers a cure, you'll be disabled for the rest of your life. So you are kind of a shoe-in if that makes sense.

Also, they told me that many people seeking disability have injuries that will most likely heal and allow them to be able to work again one day. Others have soft tissue injuries that really cannot be diagnosed other than the person says it hurts and they can't work. In other words, having an incurable debilitating and sometimes fatal disease like Lupus, makes the determination of being eligible for full long-term benefits rather easy. I hope all this makes sense, as I'm not very clear headed this morning. Let me know if this makes sense. Hope this helps.

Thanks

I just finished my application on-line and am anxious for it all to start. They had me print off a bunch of paperwork to fill out and send to the office. I am going to fill it out and hand deliver it myself next week. Thanks for all your help and the best part is that you went through all of this when you lived here in Phoenix and so all that places you had to go are where I will be going I will keep you updated on how things are going and I will not get discouraged if I am denied, I will just appeal and keep going from there! I will not back down :!:
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ive tried phoning the benefits place
    and im not intitled to anything extra!!
    here i am trying to go out of my way to get back into work when im balantly not sposed to be working and they cant help me out!!
    thats not fair, its seems to me as if you have to be working or not working at all, this country is fecking useless, he made me cry too!!
    a holes the lot of them

Thanks

Iseedeadmonkeys,

I thought you were all set to recieve benefits. I don't know how the system works in the UK. Can you file some sort of appeal? Is there anyone there who could help you with possible legal advice? I'm sorry this is happening. Is there anyone here from the UK/England who has any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hey sorry i dint explain myself properly did i,
    im entitled to the council benefits thingy for my rent,
    but i was trying to see if there is any other kinda money i could be entitled too , but it appears not, although ive been given by my mum a web page to check out and fill out info for employmet and support allowece so i will go check that out now,
    silly man making me cry, does he not know who i am??
    lol xx