Thread: newbie

Thanks

Default newbie

Hi, I'm new to this site and also new to the whole chat site thing. I'm 46 years old and was diagnosed with SLE about a 1 1/2 years ago. I feel like I'm take a pharmacy of medications. I currently take plaquenil (600mg), azathioprine, cymbalta, trazadone, a water pill, iron, and folic acid. I have been having at least one flare a month. For awhile, I was having flares once a week. The month of July I had 5 flares. It was terrible. I take prednisone when I have the flares...but really don't like the how it makes me feel. My doctor has talked about putting me on methrotrexate. I'm really afraid to take this, it sounds like there are a lot of side effects. Anyone out there taking this medication? I'd also like to hear more about how lupus affects others. My flares start out achiness, sometimes a fever, and always a rash to my left thigh...which sometimes spreads to my buttocks and right thigh. The rash fades in a few days, and the joint pain and achiness lasts about 4 to 5 days. Well, that's enought for my first entry...we'll see if I did it right. thanks for reading

Thanks

Hi MaryJane,
    Welcome to the site. My name is Kathy. I just turned 50 last month and have been on Lupus medications for years. I am not on Methotrexate, but I am on Imuran and Plaquenil and several other drugs. There will be others that come in here that do take that medication and I am sure that they will have some good information for you. I hope that you keep posting.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi mary Jane,

Welcome to our group. I'm Rob, and I was diagnosed with Lupus five years ago. I'm 40 years old. I get flares about every three days. I know what you mean about how terrible this can be. We have a member here who has just recently been on Methotrexate, and she posts here, and has a video diary over at youtube where she talks about the drug, and her various experiences with Lupus. Her username is iseedeadmonkeys, all one word. Just look in any of our forums here and you'll see her name on various posts and you'll find her. Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you, and tell you to make yourself at home here.

Rob

Thanks

Default thanks

Thanks Rob and Kathy, I hope to learn a lot on this forum. I plan to keep posting.
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.