Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My horrible experience with a paramedic after a 999 call.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default My horrible experience with a paramedic after a 999 call.

This is the story i wanted to tell you that experienced.

Last November my asthma was severe. This day i had a pain in my lung, but put it down to the coughing id been doing. As the day went on, when i breathed the pain was sharp and i was having to breath shallow as it was so painful. As the day turned to night the pain was bad, so i decided to call my doctor, just for advice. He immediately told me to call for an ambulance, as in the past i had a Pulmernary Embolism. I decided to put some clothes on and pack a small bag, just in case i had to stay in. Then i called for the ambulance, as advised by my doctor.

I felt a bit bad because 2 ambulances turned up. They told me the first one was a paramedic who could deal with heart problems and clots. The second one had 2 women paramedics in it. Bear in mind, i have NEVER had to use the emergency service in my life, so i didnt know what to expect.

The man then started asking me questions, blood pressure, ecg and thankfully he told me everything was ok, according to him. Then it happened. He asked me what medication i was on, so i told him. 5 lots for the asthma, something for irritable bowel, sleeping pill and acid reflux pill, as at the time i was told i suffered with ME/CFS. He then asked if i was depressed and anxious.I told him yes and i suffer with severe insomnia. He rolled his eyes and gave 'that' look to the 2 women. He then started his rant. He told me i was 38 years old and should be out enjoying life, how i should not be on all this medication. He said my chest is clear and then asked me my symptoms when i have an asthma attack.He then said, thats not asthma you are describing. Then he told me to explain my M.E symptoms.He then told me, you have not got M.E, my friend has it...you have no swellings. He then gave 'that'look to the women again and they kind of smiled to each other. I was so humiliated at his behaviour, i felt like i was making it all up for attention. He then told me, just go to bed and you'll feel better in the morning.Or i can take you to hospital where you will have to wait hours. At this point i was so humiliated, but remembered what my doctor had said and i told the paramedic, no i'll g to hospital. He was not pleased. At this all 3 of them began laughing and joking between each other, flirting in front of me.I was in agony. They said go to the ambulance then. They made me walk on my own, did not offer to help. The woman said sit there and she put the seat belt on and pulled it so tight it hurt so bad.I was in agony. You know, they set off, pulled along side the man paramedic, flirting with each other and totally ignored me all the way. Every bump in the road they hit, every bump was agony. I was so humiliated i said nothing.
    We got to the hospital where still 15 minutes later the 2 women had spoke not one word to me.They obvious believed the man paramedic and to them i was wasting their time. They put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me into hospital. They again began flirting with other paramedics there and still noone spoke a word to me.I was in so much pain. Ten minutes later they handed me over to the Doctors. Someone finally asked me how i was.....i was so relieved to have to use my voice. Tests were then done.
    I would like to tell you all, they did think i may have had a P.E and gave me Heperin and then i was admitted for 2 days having oxygen/nebuliser/Steriod treatment. They think my coughing with the asthma had either pulled a muscle or to be on the save side in case it was a P.E they gave me treatment. It turned out it was not another clot, but they believed how ill i was. I now have a nebuliser at home and had a Broncoscapy soon after.
    I will wait until i get my blood results in January and if it is Lupus i WILL find that man and i will write a descriptive letter to his superviser and let him know how he treated me. It has put me off ever ringing for the emergency services again.
    When i got out of hospital, i told my Doctor how i was treated. He said he would put in a complaint.I dont know whether he did, but i know one day i will. My doctor said, he isnt the one who is a doctor who has been to medical school for years....but he is.My Doctor was so angry!

Anyway, this is how i came to loose my confidence and why i feel embarrassed of my many ailments, because they did not believe me.

Angel.xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't be embarassed about your ailments! You have legitimate ailments. I am embarassed for the paramedic, and his two women cohorts. You, in my estimation, are doing the right thing, by writing a letter about the way you were treated. I would follow up with my Dr., when you feel better, and try to find out if he made a compliant on your and his behalf.

I am sure others will be on-line soon with further responses to your posting!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Wow,

Well, Angel, that story has me pissed off, and I wasn't even there. That is some of the most extremely unprofessional behaviour I've ever heard about in regards to an EMT/Para. I would file a formal complaint against all three of them. I'd do it so someone else like you won't have to go through the same thing. What they did is more than just unprofessional, it's gross negligence.

It's probably good I wasn't there, that smartmouth EMT would be the one needing an ambulance. Do you have their Names and Identification? If so, I would definitely make an issue out of this, as it is unacceptable. And your Doctor is right, that EMT is not the one who went to all those years of med school, and he is way overstepping his bounds with his "advice". I hope you can get some results, or resolution to this situation. You know, I was mocked and poked fun at when I was in a very bad flare once. It's a terrible feeling to think you may die, and those around you who should care and help, just laugh it off. It's inexcusable.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Thanks Rob for your reply. It has played on my mind allot, but i have left it along time as it was last November 2007.BUT i do have the date i was admitted and know how to find out who came out to me that day and my Doctor will have recorded my complaint. I think i have just thought, well they do a good job saving lives and i think i began to believe him, that i should be out there enjoying life.But the more i tried, the more ill i became.Then shortly after my sleep at night just stopped, so i had to give up work.
    Today my Auntie came round to see my Mam. She said to me....you need to want to get well. You need to get out start enjoying life and my friend has now gone back to work. I looked at my Mam and Sister who nodded in agreement. I left the room. Isnt it funny how people really believe i am doing this for fun......so sad.

Angel.xxx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Angel, I'm a pretty strong willed, can do type of person, or at least I used to be. I have "wanted" to get better and be able to enjoy life with every ounce of will I can muster, and guess what? It made no difference. Lupus does not respond to "want". What if you or I had something more "mainstream" like cancer. Would people sit there and tell us we have to want to beat the cancer? I mean, sure, a positive attitude can certainly speed up a recovery, but that alone does not rid us of our physical ailment. What do we have to do, die from this crappy disease before people will take us seriously? People do think that we somehow do this for fun. So sad is right. As you can tell, I've had some of the same experiences you have had, and I have some pretty strong feelings about it. I say this alot here, but it's really true. You are not alone.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Yes, you know what, i realise that now. I really thought it was just me. Thanks !!

Angel.xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Angel,

I don't know what to tell you about your family other than they need to go to the dr. with you and then they will be scared for you, but they sill will not understand what you are enduring.

As far as the paramedics....I think you should grab a really opionated/self-confident friend, walk into the station that responded to your call, ask to speak to the Lt., tell your story, and explain that even more than a year later, you are still affected by their behavior.

Next time you question someone's treatment of you, think about all of us back here who are in your corner and who will cheer you on.

Share a smile today,

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi,

Hope you are feeling ok today. Yes what wise words! A good thought that.....imagining you all stood behind me with strength......thanks. I will confront them, but want to get blood results back first so i have more ammunition. I obviously can not just leave it, cause it's still on my mind. Im not doing it to cause trouble, just to make sure noone else ever feels the way i did n still do. Thanks for your advice and giving me that thought....fab!!!

Love
    Angel.xxxx

Thanks

You dotn even need thier names. Paperwork will tell them who responded to the call and that Paraamedic was way out of his scope of practice "diagnosing" you. He can lose his license.

Just like doctors, EMT's and Paramedics cannot let personal views get in the way of our treatment of a patient.
    I'm sorry this happened to you, this may sound irrelevent but was the response team from a private system or the fire dept?
    Life is a Journey not a guided tour

Thanks

Steaming mad here for you Angel. W
    We all here got your back.

Kasey