Thread: Positive ANA, Bacterial Infection, anemia & nephritis

Thanks

Default Positive ANA, Bacterial Infection, anemia & nephritis

Ok. For the longest time I had symptoms and nothing came back in my blood results. I finally started a flare and was able to be seen by my primary physician who ran some blood tests some of which were still waiting for to obtain the results. The things I do know is that I have a positive ana(not sure of the titer etc), im still anemic after 4 months of iron pills, the bacterial infection and the blood leaking in my urine. However the two tests for lupus I had done, the double stranded dna and the anti-sm test were negative. I was just wondering if anybody with lupus has had negative tests like this and still have it or what else could this be...Im so confused! lol Any advice, suggestions, etc would be helpful and very much appreciated! Take care and thanks again. -Brit
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The Lupus-specific tests may indicate that you do not have Lupus, but may have another auto-immune disorder. However, despite the fact that a positive anti-Sm antibody test will confirm lupus, a negative test does not eliminate Lupus. However, most lupus patients have either a positive anti-DNA or positive anti-Sm antibody test. In most cases, a negative test for both means that the patient does not have lupus. Anti-DNA is an immunoglobulin specific against native (double-stranded) DNA. It is increased in Systemic lupus erythematosus & is highly specific to SLE.
    Sixty to eighty percent of people with active Lupus have a positive anti-DNA test. However, only 10 percent of lupus patients have a positive anti-Sm test, but 90 percent of people who have positive Sm tests have lupus. I know, it's maddening and confusing, but that is the nature of the disease :? But, as I mentioned above, having a negative result for both tests usually indicates that you do not have Lupus, but that you may have another auto-immune disorder.
    There are so many other disorders in this category that have symptoms resembling Lupus symptoms. In light of your positive ANA, it is possible that you may have one of these other auto-immune diseases. A positive ANA can be found in:
    * Sjögren’s syndrome: Between 40% and 70% of patients with this condition have a positive ANA test result. While this finding supports the diagnosis, a negative result does not rule it out. The doctor may want to test for two subsets of ANA: Anti-SS-A (Ro) and Anti-SS-B (La). The frequency of autoantibodies to SSA in patients with Sjögren’s can be 90% or greater.
    * Scleroderma: About 60% to 90% of patients with scleroderma have a positive ANA finding. In patients who may have this condition, ANA subset tests can help distinguished two forms of the disease, limited versus diffuse. The diffuse form is more severe. Limited disease is most closely associated with the anticentromere pattern of ANA staining (and the anticentromere test), while the diffuse form is associated with autoantibodies to the anti–Scl-70.
    * A positive result on the ANA also may show up in patients with Raynaud’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, dermatomyositis, mixed connective tissue disease, and other autoimmune conditions.

You doctors will probably want to do additional testing in order to determine which, if any, auto-immune disorder you might have.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default thanks

Thank you for your input Based on symptoms and the positive ana I had boiled it down to 3 things, Lupus, Dermatomyositis or MCTD. Im still waiting other blood results such as esr and rheumatoid factor. I was just wondering if the positive ana could be from the infection? I had the other inflammation in the legs as well though so im not sure. Thanks again. Have a great holiday! -Brit
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

I just wanted to mention something to you regarding you iron. My stepmom also has Lupus. She battled with her iron level for a really long time. They had her on pills but nothing seemed to help. Finally they started giving her infusions at the hospital. She had to get them for six months. The infusions ended last May and still to this day her iron is perfect and her energy level is up! I can not remember the name of the infusion she received. I will call her tomorrow and ask and post what I find out on here for you! You never know, it may help you feel a bit better

:x-mas:
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Default Good Suggestion

Hey there. Thank you for your suggestion with the shots. However, since Im still anemic I dont know if it is from being iron deficient or from the blood leaking into my urine which would be anemia of chronic disease. I am going back to my primary care physician jan 2nd. I will hopefully get my other blood results as well as the whole explanation for the anemia. Thanks again and if iron deficiency is still there perhaps I will mention the idea Have a wonderful new years! -Brit
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day