Thread: Another dissapointing drs. visit

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Another dissapointing drs. visit

Hi everyone,

I hope each of you are having a good day.

I went to a new urologist today, and left upset, nervous, with the knowledge that I would not be back.

She talked about my Intersticial Cystitis, and stated that she did not think that is what I have. She believes that my problem is Lupus and probably with Kidney involvement. She told me I now have to find another dr., a nephologist(?I need info) to get a kidney biopsy. She offered no referrals, said I would have to get back with my rheumy.

They did conduct some sort of ultra sound on my bladder. Then told me to sit in the hall with at least 15 other people, and that the dr. would come out and talk to me. I refulsed to discuss my medical issues standing in a hallway ..... the classic herd of cattle syndrome.

I won't go back because of this. I will travel about 1 hour to see my old urologist. Oh well, we learn each day.

Thanks for letting me have a turn at whinning.

Share a smile today,

Thanks

Hi,
    I am sorry that that happened to you. I don't blame you for being ticked off, I know I would be for sure. It is not right for a doctor to treat their patients like this.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

I am sending happy thoughts your way! I bet you are very frustrated and I would be too! What ever happened to bed side manner? Hang in there and keep us posted on what you find out through out your dr visits :!:
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Mountain Dreamer,

There's a Bob Seger song I listen to called " I Feel Like a Number". It's all about how sterile, and impersonal life has become. We are no longer people, we are just a number, is the theme of the song. Of all the places where people need to be seen as unique individuals, the healthcare industry should be be at the very top of the list. Unfortunately, it's not that way in many cases.

Sitting in a hallway with 15 other people is not the place to discuss a potentially serious disease or condition with a patient. That is just wrong. We've all had some bad experiences with our various doctors and rheumotologists. All I can say, is that if you feel you are not getting the proper help and treatment from your existing Dr/Rheumo/urologist, then you have every right to drop them and find someone else more capable of understanding and helping you. It sounds like you have already made that decision. Just remember, you know your own body, and you can be an advocate for yourself by learing about this disease. Be an informed patient. Many doctors do not like an informed patient. I say Oh well, deal with it.

I hope you can find the help you need, from a Dr. who really cares. Until then, vent all you need. To come here and complain about a legitimate problem, is not considered "whining" to any of us. We are, or have been where you are right now.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Rob,

I love Rob Seger. I also love your "deal with it" attitude. I will remember this, and smile when I need to use it.

Have a good morning,
    Phyllis