Thread: Hi...I'm new here

Thanks

Default Hi...I'm new here

I was diagnosed with lupus toward the end of my treatment for Hep C. I traded one disease for another. I manage a small bakery at the beach in California. My boss was pretty understanding when I told her a few years ago, but my lupus has progressed some (even though I am taking Plaquinel). The physical symptoms are not the issue. I am going to my doctor today to see if there is anything I can do about the memory loss and my inability to communicate intelligently with my co-workers and business associates. I finally decided to join a support group today and I guess I just wanted to hear that there are others who are going through the same thing as me. It's not like I am the most intelligent person but I have always been able to figure out a solution to suit the problem. Now I feel like I can't always do that. I am constantly being corrected at work by my boss. I can see it in her face when she does this, she is doubting my ability which causes me to doubt myself. Maybe the doctor will have some tests to pinpoint my problem and possibly fix it?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jill,

Welcome to our group. What you are experiencing is what we call "brain fog". The technical term is Cognitive Dysfunction. Many, if not most of us here, have this problem. I have fog so badly sometimes that I can't write or speak a coherent sentence. I had a fairly extensive education in the area of mechanical engineering, and I feel like I've lost all that. I was fairly successful, owned my own small business with about 20 employees, and I had to sell the business and quit. I'm now on full disability at 40.

I was the type of person who everyone asked to proofread things and check spelling/grammar. Now I forget even the simplest of words. I do have good days, so I've learned to know when I can do, and cannot do certain things. We do have some members here who have been prescribed meds to help with their fog, and hopefully they will be along in a bit to share what they know. I've not had any luck with meds myself, but Lupus is as individual as the person who has it, and I'm by no means "typical". Please make yourself at home here, as you are definitely not alone.

Rob

Thanks

I'll basically second what rob said, I'm studying for an Economics degree and sometimes I get these fogs when im writing essays, which is a pain, but usually if I have a nap they get better

Thanks

Default Rob...thanks

Thanks for responding so quickly. Your post did make me feel better, just knowing that I'm not the only one who feels like I'm losing my mind. It does really suck though. I can deal with all the physical aspects but the mental and emotional issues are going to be the real challenge. I can't believe the other poster (forgot the name) is actually going to school. I can read an article and immediately forget what it was about or that I even just read it! I will need to take the food service course again in a few years (if I am still employed) and I doubt very seriously that I'll be able to pass the test. I'm off to the doctor in a few, so I wrote down some of my symptoms and issues to pass on to the dr. I know I won't remember them all. I look forward to checking back in with this site late.
    Thank you for being there, Jill

Thanks

Hi Jill,
    Welcome to the site. My name is Kathy and I have SLE Lupus. I think that the memory problems and brain fog goes along with this illness. I have a problem with this from time to time and it is hard to deal with it at times. I hope that your doctor can figure out how to treat you for this problem. I hope that you keep posting.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.