Thread: confused about ANA results

Thanks

Default confused about ANA results

Ok....so I went and got my test results from my rheumy. Tried to look online, but all I kept seeing was this titer thing. The results I have are not in that format....so checking online did me no good. Asked my regular doctor today, but he just blew me off saying I didn't need to be so concerned with that stuff. Excuse me? Anyway...my result was 180. The ANA value interpretations say 0-99 negative, 100-120 equivocal, and >120 positive. I notice everyone else seems to have theirs as 1:??. So....don't know why mine isn't like that. My results say 180 CH, whatever the heck that means.

Thanks

Okay...so it didn't type as I wanted...but y'all know what your ANA results look like... Anybody have a clue about mine?

Thanks

Hi Lighting,
    I am confused by that too as my results read 1:320 speckle pattern ANA and a pos SSA and SSB antibodies. Hummm did you ask the Rheumatologist to explain this to you? I think that it is terrible that your GP blew you off like that. I would try and see if the test could be rerun if it were me.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Lightning...

Hi...welcome..

Regarding your question..it appears you have had the anti-DNA (ds)performed.

I had the anti-DNA ds...(ds - double strand). Mine was a 144. Most recent results 170 from my last test, last month.

* Negative: 0-99 units/mL
    * Equivocal: 100-120 units/mL
    * Positive: >120 units/mL

Use
    Specific assay for confirming the diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
    Limitations
    Low antibody levels may be found in other connective tissue diseases.
    Methodology
    Multiplex bead flow cytometry
    Additional Information
    Antibodies to DNA, either single- or double-stranded, are found primarily in systemic lupus erythematosus, and are important, but not necessary or sufficient for diagnosing that condition. Such antibodies are present in 80% to 90% of SLE cases. They are also present in smaller fractions of patients with other rheumatic disorders, and in chronic active hepatitis, infectious mononucleosis, and biliary cirrhosis.

In the past, it was considered unnecessary to test for anti-DNA in patients with a negative test for antinuclear antibodies. A group of “ANA-negative lupus” patients has been described with anti-ssDNA and anti-SS-A/Ro and anti-SS-B/La. However, HEp-2 substrate is much more sensitive than frozen section substrates, and it is uncommon for anti-SS-A/Ro to be negative with these newer substrates.

This standard dsDNA detects both low- and high-affinity antibodies, providing a very sensitive test for diagnostic purposes; however, it is less predictive for severe nephritis, which is associated with the presence of high-affinity antibodies.

Enjoy the weekend,
    OLuwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Thanks for explaining.

Still confused, though. It says nothing about the double strand....just ANA. That test was performed on November 14, 2007.

On June 13, 2008 a DNA AB Double Strand was done and it says...

DNA Double-Stranded AB IgG, S Result was <1
    with <5 being negative
    5-9 being indeterminate
    and > or =10 being positive

Some more results from Nov. 2007:

ANTI-RNP 156--- reference range 0-99
    ANTI-SSB (La) 32 no reference range listed on that one
    SCL-70 18 rr 0-99
    SMITH IGG AUTO-ANTIBODIES 128 rr 0-99
    SS-A IGG AUTOANTIBODIES (ANTI-RO) 8 rr 0-99
    ANTI-CCP <15 with <20 being negative

so confusing....*sigh*

Thanks

I am not sure if this will help or confuse the situation even more:

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/ana.html

It is all so confusing and so hard to understand :!: My last reading was 1:640 and the pattern was speckled. I still do not know what all of it means :roll: I guess we will all continue to learn as we go and help each other find resources to explain it a bit better. I hope you find some answers soon
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Lightning..

DNA Double-Stranded AB IgG is another name, aliases for Anti-ds (Anti-Double Stranded) DNA, IgG Anti-DS DNA Antibody and etc. Each lab uses different acronym...different test which result with different ranges, which are also written differently. These test are to assist with a diagnose of SLE.

For some reason your lab uses the ANA acronym with anti- ds DNA ranges..which leaves me to assume, the name, is interchangeable but not the results.

But from my reads, at different labs..they use different ranges. Different ways of reporting the results because of different lab test.

Like the Mayo Clinic..example...their ANA chart..
    <=1.0 U (negative)
    1.1-2.9 U (weakly positive)
    3.0-5.9 U (positive)
    >=6.0 U (strongly positive)

Anti RO
    ...ANTI-RNP or Anti-Ro, Anti-Sjogren's Syndrome, Anti-SSA (Anti-Sjogren's Syndrome A), SSA (Anti-SSA) and etc...another test that has different names. They are testing for Sjogrens Syndrome or a Connective Tissue Disease...

SCL-70 scleroderma and other connective tissue diseases.

SMITH IGG is another test for connective tissue disease.

ANTI-CCP testing for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)

Usually if you have a positive ANA, ds DNA they use other test to narrow it down...rule in or rule out.

Daniaco1...

Patterns..

1. Rim Pattern
    A. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (Most Specific)

2. Homogenous Pattern
    A. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (Very specific)
    B. Tests for Further evaluation
    1. Anti-dsDNA
    2. Anti-ssDNA
    3. Anti-Smith

3. Speckled Pattern
    A. Most common, least specific
    B. Disorders Indicated
    1. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    2. Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
    3. Scleroderma
    4. Sjogren's Syndrome
    C. Tests for Further evaluation
    1. Smith Antibody (Anti-Smith)
    2. Ribonucleoprotein Antibody (Anti-RNP)
    3. Scl-70 kD kinetochore (Anti-Topoisomerase I)
    4. Anti-La (Anti-SSB)

4. Nucleolar Pattern
    A. Disorders
    1. Scleroderma
    2. CREST syndrome
    B. Further evaluation
    1. Scl-70 kD kinetochore (Anti-Topoisomerase I)
    2. PM-1

5. Diffuse Pattern
    A. Non-specific pattern

6. Centromere Pattern
    A. Seen in PSS with CREST syndrome

A result of 1:640 speckled is positive, but needs further investigation to rule in or out any other diseases....

Confused ya more?

Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.