Thread: My mom has a red veiny spot on her eye

Thanks

Default My mom has a red veiny spot on her eye

My mom has lupus. She just randomly got a red veiny spot on her eye. She says it does not itch or anything, she just feels like there is something there. I have been researching around and found out that it is common for lupus patients to have conjunctivitis. Is this what my mom has? Should she see her doctor right away? Is this an emergency? Will she be blind??????

It is tough to make an appointment with doctors right away... I dont know what to do. What is the antibiotic name that she needs, so I can hopefully call the doctor and ask for a prescription?

I'm new to understanding lupus and my moms health please help!

Thanks

also is red eye a sign of a flare??? I'm just scared this is a sign of something bad..

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It might be helpful for you mother to be tested for antiphospholipid syndrome, anticardiolipin antibody levels, and co-existing central nervous system involvement. Persons with Lupus who have these conditions can develop retinal vasculitis and occlusive retinal disease. Doctors will need to determine if this issue is thrombotic or inflammatory because treatment is different for each.
    By thrombotic, I mean the formation of a blood clot (thrombus) inside a blood vessel.

Your mother should see a doctor as soon as she can to determine the exact cause and to start treatment.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In 2003, the Opthamologist at the Mayo found a red veiny area on my right eye. He asked if I had ever had a serious illness, I replied "no". He said this could have been caused at birth. So, I have not worried about it until now with SLE diagnosis. I see a Neurological Opthamologist next week, and will hopefully find out more. I will keep posted and let you know what I find out.

Thank goodness your mother has you. I have three grown children, and I appreciate them more each day.

You are a gift,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie
    It might be helpful for you mother to be tested for antiphospholipid syndrome, anticardiolipin antibody levels, and co-existing central nervous system involvement. Persons with Lupus who have these conditions can develop retinal vasculitis and occlusive retinal disease. Doctors will need to determine if this issue is thrombotic or inflammatory because treatment is different for each.
    By thrombotic, I mean the formation of a blood clot (thrombus) inside a blood vessel.

Your mother should see a doctor as soon as she can to determine the exact cause and to start treatment.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    That sounds bad. That stuff you are talking about isnt conjunctivitis...could it just be that? My mom says its gotten a little better today. So I don't know, should I call the doctor right away...it takes like a month to get a freakin appointment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I believe that any time that you question whether or not to call a dr. You should call. This condition needs to be tended to.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, I think that your mother should call a doctor as soon as she can.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!