Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty breathing?

Thanks

Default Difficulty breathing?

Hi Everyone,
    For the past few weeks, I've noticed that I go through periods where it feels like I have an elephant sitting on my chest and there is a general tightness in my chest. It's not constant, and it's definitely worse when I am walking outside (cold Canadian winters!). That being said, today I stayed in all day and yet, the symptom is still there. The last time I experienced anything similar was when I had pericarditis, but my pulse has been (surprisingly) low/average and I haven't had any fevers. It feels like I have to take short shallow breaths, as deeper ones require a lot more effort.

Has any had this before? Does anyone know what it is? Any suggestions how to make it disappear?

Thank you, I hope you are all well!

Kimmy

Thanks

Hi Kimmy

Do not mess around with breating issues...it could be a number of things some of them quite searious, haul your butt to the doctor and get it checked out.

Sooner you have your chest listened to the better. Be sure to tell the doctor everything, even if it seems trivial.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

DITTO!!!!! See your doctor ASAP!! Please let us know how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Kimmy,
    I agree with Saysusie and SITC. You need to see the doctor immediately.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

We'll make it unanimous, Kimmy!

Let us know what the doc says - and keep warm -- I'm in Illinois - bracing for the next onslaught of winter this afternoon and all day tomorrow. I suspect you'll get it Tuesday or Wednesday in Montreal. Sounds like a messy story, snow, freezing rain, snow, windy and cold.

Stay warm and safe - but CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your feedback!
    I spoke to my doctor today and I'll be seeing her on Wednesday, and I'm meeting with my cardiologist tomorrow (an appointment that has been booked for awhile now). I figure I'll be in good hands until Wednesday. The doctor is looking into the possibility of asthma. Is this something that is common with lupus?
    Thank you again for your help, I'll be sure to let you know what the doctor says on Wednesday.
    Hope you are all well!
    Kimmy

Thanks

Hi Everyone,
    Well, I finally got some answers today. My lungs are fine *yay* and my heart *yay* is also. The difficulty breathing is stemming from inflammation in my chest, and possibly some asthma. There are some more tests coming to confirm that. So I'm back on a truckload of anti-inflamatories and rest until things calm down! The doctors were going to give me a shot, but it was too widespread. I am looking more and more forward to the holidays so I can have some time off to just relax and sleep! I just wanted to update you all and to thank you for your kind words and advice.
    Be well!
    Kimmy

Thanks

Hi Kimmy!!!!

I am so glad you went to the doctor! I wanted to let you know that I actually was diagnosed with Asthma last year! All the doctors said that it does have something to do with the Lupus and is another way it has decided to flare up in me :? I am now on Asthma medicine every day and have a breathing treatment machine here at home. I have to call the doctor EVERYTIME I have issues with my breathing and I have to get regular chest x-rays. Hey, not to worry, it is just another thing to look out for

Hang in there, stay warm and feel better soon!
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Kimmy;
    I am glad to hear that your heart and lungs are OK. Sorry that you must now deal with asthma :? Do take care of yourself and I also hope that you are able to get some rest during your holiday :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hi

Hi Kimmy,

I had similiar breathing problems that started last year. My chest was so tight like an elephant sat on me and breathing in n out was hopeless as no air was getting in. I went to my doctor who just told me my chest was clear. Luckily i changed doctors about the same time. My breathing was getting worse, then i had a cough forever. By the time i changed Doctors, it was serious.I didnt want to go and tell him about my breathing problems as my old doctor made me feel i was just an attention seeker.BUT i went. It turned out i have brittle/allergic asthma. I had a cough for a long time, but the breathing was making me afraid. I had to have a broncoscapy as i was turning blue. Now, thanks to a caring doctor, i am on the right medication and have a nebuliser at home. I have been told it is something that happens in Lupus, but also Asthma can appear in healthy people too. I have a lot of chest pain recently, but i suppose this is the lupus too. I hope you are breathing better and i am so glad you went to your doctor.

Love
    Angel.xx