Thread: Plaquenil Dosage...

Thanks

Default Plaquenil Dosage...

My doctor is considering moving me up to 3 200 mg tabs per day. Seems like a lot. Anyone else at 600mg of Plaquenil or ever hear of it?

Thanks,

Larry

Thanks

Hi Larry,
    If your doctor increases that Plaquenil to that high a dosage make sure that you get your eyes tested quite frequently. I am on 400mg a day and have been for years. I hope that it helps you and you need to let us know if it helps you.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi Larry,

Funny you should say that....I had read in The Lupus Book where Dr. Daniel Wallace would up the dose to 600mg for 30 days. Just recently I upped my dosed without consultation..hoping it brings me out of my flair without my Louis Vuitton bag.

Be well...
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

600mg hydroxychlorequine??? i dint even know that was allowed lol ive never heard of that, im on 400mg, i asked if my dose could be increased but consultant said no it doesnt go higher than 400mg hmm maybe thts a english law thing lol i dunno, anyway i dont think plaqunil is all tht good anyway, i have no idea why im still on it, for the first 6 months it was amazing worked wonders for me, now all my probs come back and im on harder stuff lol so to speak but maybe an increase of plaquinil would do summin lol i dunno x
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿

Thanks

It is a lot. I bought a book about lupus. It's a textbook for medical students/rheumatologists. What says is that the dosage for Plaquenil is 5-7 mg/kg per day. I noticed 1 pill a day is not enough for me. My doctor said I should take 2. I feel 2 is ok for my symptoms, but I have palpitations from 2 pills. So according to the recomended dosage my weight in kilograms is 52 by 6 mg/kg is 312. So now I'm taking 1 and a half pill, which is 300 mg and I feel ok with this dosage. Very high doses for a long period cause not only retinal, but also heart problems.

Thanks

I've been taking 600 mg per day for several months now. I don't seem to see much of a difference. I also get my eyes checked every 6 months faithfully. I also take azathrioprine(sp?)...I think that the generic for Immuron. My doctor is talking about starting me on methrotrexate...in addition to my plaquinil...it all sounds scary to me...I hear methro has a lot of side effects.
    46 year old mother of two diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago.
    Meds: Plaquinil, azathrioprine, cymbalta, water pill, folic acid, low dose asprin, and a medication to help me sleep.

Thanks

I am on methotrexate. I do the injenction every Monday evening. I have to be honest, it is a pretty rough drug with yucky side effects I am down for Monday night and all Tuesday. I feel much better by Wednesday and I feel much better through out the rest of the week. I reakky think it works for me. I know the side effects sound scary and be prepared for them but give it a chance to work and you may find that the side effects are worth the end result

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane
    I've been taking 600 mg per day for several months now. I don't seem to see much of a difference. I also get my eyes checked every 6 months faithfully. I also take azathrioprine(sp?)...I think that the generic for Immuron. My doctor is talking about starting me on methrotrexate...in addition to my plaquinil...it all sounds scary to me...I hear methro has a lot of side effects.
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Default Plaquenil

I have been on Plaquenil for 10 months. At first I supplemented with other NSAID's. I was in alot of pain intitially. I'm taking 400mg total daily. It has been a miracle drug for me. I no longer have to take other pain meds. It is amazing. Ocassionally I have a little pleurisy, and I still have fatigue. But it is mostly manageable. The dramatic difference is in the absence of major pain. I get pangs here and there, but nothing like I used to get. What scares me is I'm wondering when the BIG blow (flare) is coming. I was in bad shape when I was first diagnosed. My Rheumatologist was right on in my treatment.

If it wasn't for the fatigue, I'd be okay. It is difficult working fulltime. I'm actually working 50-60 hrs per week and I know I need to slow down. I collapse on the weekend.
    Well, at lease there are about 1.5 million people out there who really do understand.
    Barbeefaye