Thread: Lupus age limit?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Lupus age limit?

Ive been doing some research into polls etc, i know this is a raw note with some ppl with lupus but is there an age limit with ppl with lupus?
    l know its a very strange question but ive had some really useless ppl wasting my time with saying things to me like, "well you wont see your 50th birthday" that makes me think oh right thanx for that!
    anyone help?
    x

Thanks

Hi,
    Well take a big deep breath and relax. I will be 50 years old this month and I am still going strong. I have had Lupus for some 44 years from what my Rheumatologist told me when he diagnosed me in 1996. I had had it for years before then, but it took all that time to get fully defined and he told me that I have one of the most classic cases of Lupus that he had seen in years. He told me based on my medical history and all of my symptoms that he believes I had it since around the age of 5. I sure don't intend to go anywhere anytime soon. People do not understand this illness and the internet can really damage people with their stupid statistics etc. A lot of the material is outdated big time. Lupus is a chronic illness, but it can be managed and you can live a normal life span. There are some folks that will unfortunately pass from this illness, but believe me that is not the norm. Believe me there is not an age limit on this illness. I have had people say wow you are going to die etc when they find out that I have Lupus and my response to them is yup eventually everyone is going to die from one thing or another and that they are not going to escape this life with out their dance with the grim reaper. That usually shuts them down quickly. Some folks are rude and unfortunately ignorant. Please do not think that there is an age limit on your life ok hon.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi iseedeadmonkeys,

My mother was diagnosed with SLE around 1990. She's never been in any significant lasting remission, and has active flares. Despite all that, she's now 72 years old, and doing well. There is no age limit. Saying "you won't see your 50th birthday" is pure B.S.. By the way, welcome to our group.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hey guys thanx for clearing that up for me, blimey....just think if i hadnt of joined this group i would be still none the wiser, yes the internet always paints a somewot dark picture on lupus, hey rob wow ure mum is doing well then for her age thats really good inspiration for me, I WILL OUTLIVE THE PPL WHO TELL ME ABOUT THIS STATISTIC lol end of, xx :lol:

Thanks

Hi,
    I am glad that we got that straightened out for you. I know that this is a scarey illness, but it can be managed. You will learn what you can do to make life easier and all. You will be able to figure out your limitations and I sure hope that you can get into a good remission.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, to ease your mind a bit more...I was diagnosed with Lupus in 1985 and I am WAAAAAAAAYYYY Past 50 with lots and lots of more years ahead of me!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I was told I wouldnt live to see 18. I'm 24 have been marries for almost 7 years and have 2 beautiful daughters. Life is what you make of it and when people ask me why i took such a leap having children I tell them it's easy when you have someone to love you. I truely do live with the fear of death but at the same time I can't let that get me down, I know it sounds corney but when when life gives you lemons make lemonade.

I also wasnt told that I wouldnt make it to 18 until i was 23 (immagine that) :lol: Some peoples kids trying to make us think we are terminal or something jeebus
    Life is a Journey not a guided tour