Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member!

Thanks

Default Rob and others,

What symptoms did you have that sent you to the neurologist? I just wonder, because I have read that MS and Lupus have a lot of the same symptoms. How do they tell them apart? Is it common for people with Lupus to also have or develop MS? How often do you have to go to the doctor? I just wonder how many doctor appointments I will might have to go to. I am a Recruiter right now and it is a very stressful job. I often wonder if this is what has brought it out? I have been recruiting for over 3 years now and have about 8 months left and the military will not move me from this position. I get no sympathy from them. I am so afraid of getting sick this time of year, because I have to shake a lot of hands and go out to the schools to meet with kids. Are you still able to get out and do a lot of things? I have two kids, one is 13 and the other is 8. They have already seen a difference in me. I just don't feel like doing the things that I use to. Mainly because I am very nauseated and dizzy and scared that if I do something it will make me feel worse.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Plunk,

I first was referred to a neurologist after taking a couple of hard falls. My right leg will just "switch off" as I call it, and I'm headed for the floor. My foot on that side will drag, I get electical shock type pain in the leg and foot. I have the same problems with my right arm, and I also have optic neuritis in my right eye. It's inflammation of the optic nerve. My problems are related to what's called de-myelination. Myelin is the sheath of insulation that covers nerves. MS causes this sheath to wear away, and like two stripped electrical wires, when they touch, they short out. This blocks or disrupts nerve transmissions causing my falls.

People with Lupus can also be diagnosed with MS obviously, but it is not very common. It's called an overlapping illness. The two diseases do have some similar symptoms, and people have been misdiagnosed with either disease. Lupus that's really MS and vice versa. As far as doctor appts, it's hard to say how many you will end up going to. In my opinion, between the neuro, rheum, MD, and eye Dr. I go alot. No real way to control that, you just have to do what has to be done I guess.

I understand your trepidations, and your need to look professional and healthy in public. You are certainly a public face, and spokesman for your branch of the service. Back in Arizona a friend who I went to armor school with changed his MOS and became a recruiter, and it was a tough job. Some days I'm able to get out and do alot. Others, I'm housebound. There's no rhyme or reason to it. I have to deal with the fact that every morning has the potential of being the start of a bad, or good day for me, and that I have to be flexible in my daily plans. Not too difficult as I'm now on full disability. For someone who is employed, it can be a nightmare. Sympathy and understanding can be nearly non-existent at times. Nothing for you, or I, or any of us here is set in stone though. You should try to take things one day at a time. I know it's easy for me to say that, but far tougher for you to do. Just get by the best way you can until you get a proper course of treatment for what this actually is. Like I've said, Lupus is as individual as the person who is diagnosed with it. If you are diagnosed with Lupus, you could very well do just fine and respond to meds. Waiting for answers is hard though.

Rob

Thanks

Default Hi Plunk

I read what Rob wrote about looking strong in public. It is hard to do when you feel so lousy. I am a pediatric nurse and work 12 hour shifts in the peds ER. I spent 2 years with no one knowing there was anything wrong with me but then I went into a bad relapse after I had my youngest child and had to take FMLA. I now have intermittent FMLA in place for when I am feeling really bad, but I try to use it as little as possible because even though my co-workers know that I have Lupus now, they don't understand it.
    I try to keep a brave face on at work (and in front of my kids) and smile or joke through the pain, but it is tough most of the time. I usually hurt so bad by the time I get home I can barely make it into my house. I asked my nurse manager if I could work 8 hour shifts instead of 12, but she said no.
    People that do not have the disease do not understand what we go through. There is a great letter written from the viewpoint of a Lupus sufferer. If you do a web search and type in "The Spoon Theory" you will find a letter that will hit home. I shared it with all of my family and co-workers. I can't say they will ever know the true pain, but they are more sympathetic now.
    Good luck to you.

Thanks

hey plunk,
    wanted to say hi, I just found this site last saturday. I'm 62, I've lived with this lupus crap since 1990. I would like to tell you up-front this illness
    is an imposter, lupus will show many faces before it finds a settle point. so
    take your time [I know that's hard] pick the best doctors,nurses,techs.,labs. you will learn to speak up with all the meds.
    that may be thron at you. I went through alot of bad,bad meds., and I
    found all the quakes in this area,when I did find the best,they have saves
    my life. also I still live alone,do everything my self. that comes from the
    excellent care. I wish you all the best.
    plunk, thanks for your service, as I am one you help protect.
    may the Lord watch over you !!!!

happiness,
    Ms.Paula
    love to talk,love to listen,so we share.
    lupus,heart disese,diabetic,nervous system,artery disese,osteo-arthritis,anemia,
    fibromyalgia,spastic colon,angina,
    lung disese,renal failure,hypertension,restless leg synd.,congestive heart failure,
    claustrophopic,etc.,etc.

Thanks

Hi Plunk,
    I was just thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I hope that you have a pretty good day today.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Default Hello

Does anyone know if Lupus for sure is worse in males? Where can I find some good answers on this?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Plunk,

I have heard a couple of people on this forum to state that the disease us usually more difficult on men. There are a couple of guys who I am sure will respond to your question.

Good luck to you in your process,

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hi

Just to say hello and welcome and i am thinking of you.

Angel.xxx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Look For The Good and Praise It!