Thread: Hives and Lupus?

Thanks

Default Hives and Lupus?

My Boyfriend's mother was diagnosed with lupus this past weekend after she was admitted to the hospital with a bad case of hives. I was under the impression that it took a long time to diagnosis someone with lupus, that there would be blood tests etc... but they have not ran many tests on her at all, the only thing she is complaining about is when she gets hot she get hives all over her body. I am not familar with this disease and I was wondering if that was a common symptom, no where online have I found where it said it was. She has been under a lot of stress lately and I was under the impression that she just had a case of hives due to stress.

I am also wondering if anyone knows of anything I can do to be supportive, I am not really good with things like this and I really don't know what to say to my boyfriend to make him feel better about the whole situation. Thank you for any advice or information you can give me

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Whitney; Hives are not uncommon in Lupus patients. My daughter first presented with hives prior to being diagnosed with lupus. Her final diagnosis did take about a year, however. Your mother is lucky to have been diagnosed so quickly, this means that she can start treatment right away.
    10% of lupus patients will develop hives at some point in the course of their disease. This is one of the few skin rashes of lupus that itch.
    Most cases are related to coincidental allergic reactions, but an uncommon form of lupus may be associated with 'lupus urticaria'. Most of these patients have deficiencies in certain blood complement components.
    Hives are red, itchy welts on the skin that come and go over the course of minutes or hours. All types of hives can cause itching. They usually form on the skin but sometimes hives form in the soft tissue of the mouth, eyes and throat. Hives are the result of an allergic reaction in the skin. They are caused by the release of histamine. Histamine is released when a person's immune system tries to fight a foreign substance. The release of histamine causes inflammation in the skin. It is managed with antihistamines, antiserotonin drugs & steroids.
    A mild case of hives often disappears on its own after a few hours. A longer-lasting case should respond to the manufacturer's recommended dosage of an over-the-counter oral antihistamine.
    For chronic hives, such as those with lupus, your doctor will probably order a course of prescription antihistamines. Treatment with oral corticosteroids will sometimes reduce swelling when antihistamines don't work, but they are usually reserved for severe cases in which suffocation or other complications are indicated. Ultraviolet light treatments are effective for hives caused by exposure to cold. If you have the subsurface welts of angioedema, you may require hospitalization. One of the best remedies for hives is a soothing bath. Add five or six tablespoons of oatmeal and three tablespoons of cornstarch or sodium bicarbonate to your bathwater. You might also ask your mother's doctor about prescribing an emergency kit containing epinephrine (also called adrenaline), which is used to treat the severe or acute hives.
    I hope that I've been helpful. Let me know if you need anything further!
    Best of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie