Thread: Cold and pain....

Thanks

Default Cold and pain....

I thought that the cooler weather as opposed to the heat and humidity of summer would be easier on my body as far as pain goes. It is not. I have more bone pain. It feels like my bone marrow is frozen. I cant ever get warm unless I am having a hot flash and even then as I am pour sweat I still feel the chill inside.
    Anyone else?

Kasey

Thanks

Hi Kasey,
    I too have worser problems when it is cold as far as the pain goes. I also have a problem with my hands and feet going numb if I go out in the cold. I have problems when it is to hot and humid, but I think it is worse when it is cold. I think that this problem goes along with Lupus.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Oh yeah. I love the cold days because it is easier to be out of the sun - I can bundle with the best of 'em.

But the cold can hurt. bone aching hurt. Some things I do?

1. Two (count them, TWO!) heating pads by "my" recliner. Used frequently on cool nights when I'm reading or watching tv. Sometimes on back. sometimes on arms. Sometimes on legs or toes....sometimes on my tummy - and I pretend it is a warm cat!

2. GREAT boots. The heck with how they look, boots with rubber outsides and fleecy/polartec insides. PLUS a pair of wool socks. I always buy 1/2 size too large on the boots. Had to buy new ones this winter (the other ones gave up after about 12 years) found them at Lands End on sale for $24.

3. Layering. Cotton and wool are my friends. Then there's the fleece shawl in my office. I have a crocheted shawl at home.

4. Hats. Oh yeah. WARM hats. You're at your computer inside you say? OK, so you don't need the 4" brim, a "watch cap" will do.

5. I've been known to wear fingerless gloves in the house, but find I don't like that too well - it is the fingers that get cold, not my hands! So a cup of hot tea in a mug or cup that I can wrap my hands around, sniff the warm aroma and warm up inside and out.

6. GREAT slippers - sometimes worn with loose cotton or wool socks.

7. On weekends when I have time - a loooong hot bath. Lotsa bubbles. Lotsa lavender skin oil when I get out so I don't turn into a total flake...

And I warmed up just writing this. . . well, the hot tea helped too.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

All good ideas. Some of them I do others I will have to start doing. I do need new boots and a coat. I ended up giving old ones to my daughter. They were a bit small anyway. What is a "watch hat"?
    My skin is so dry. It is flaky and itchy. I rub my legs and so much of it just flys off. But its still there. I lotion, I exfoliate. I dont shower every day because it drys me out so much. Nothing really helps.
    How do you deal with this?

Kasey

Thanks

Hi Kasey;

A "Watch cap" is a stocking hat type, but just a cap on the head, not a long pointy extension.

And the dry skin.....what helps me most is that right after I shower, and before I dry off, I'll rub lavender body oil on my legs and arms (those are the WORST for me - itchy and flaky if I don't take care!) and sometimes elsewhere if my skin is feeling dry. Then I gently pat dry. It has made a huge difference for me.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

I understand how you feel the cold weather for me is just horrible. I use to love this time of year now i strongly dislike it. I tend to have flares more often in the cold weather then during the summer. I hope you feel better .

God Bless
    Sandra
    The boundaries which divide life from death
    are at best shadowy and vague.
    Who shall say where one ends,
    and the other begins?

Thanks

Thanks all.

hatlady can you get the lavender oil at Wal-Mart?
    Oh I know what hats you mean. My boys wear them. They are like a buck at Wal-Mart. Boys have blac I have a blue one I wear it when I go out to have a smoke.

K

Thanks

Johnson's and Johnson's puts out a lavander bubbley nighty night bath oil for babies. I quite like it
    Oh look ... a cookie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Noodlemom:

I too thought that the cooler weather would help me feel better, but now the arthritis so often associated with Lupus has set in big time. My cyclobenzaprin, a muscle relaxant, helps a little. In fact, I am going to go take a couple of those pills right now.

Also, I find I have to keep the electric wallheater on more than I would like to and it gets expensive. Have any of you heard of the room-to-room heater made by the Amish that is supposed be energy saving. I was wondering if it really works! It is also supposed to light up like a fireplace.

DrinkofWtr.