Thread: Numb Toes...

Thanks

Default Numb Toes...

I'm curious. A few of the unusual things I seem to get with what I see as my lupus flare is losing weight, losing hair, puffiness under my eyes (particularily my right eye), night sweats, achiness in my muscles, fatigue, what I've come to learn is "brain fog', blurry vision, dry eyes and numb toes.

I've found reference in here for everything but the puffiness under my eyes and the numb toes. Feels like when I was a kid, I'd go outside and they would get so cold that when I came back in, they would burn and be numb. They don't turn purple, I don't really get this in the fingers. Anyone else experience this with their lupus?

Larry

Thanks

Hi Larry,
    I get the numb toes, feet and hands. I think that they need to test you for Peripheral Neuropathy. I also think that due to the dry eyes that they should test you for Sjogrens Syndrome too as this disease can cause the numbness or neuropathy also and the muscle aches. I have no idea about the puffyness under the eyes. Maybe Oluwa would know about that. Do you know if they tested you for SSA and SSB antibodies?

The way that they can test you for neuropathy is by a pin test. I had that test done when the Rheumatologist sent me to a Neruosurgeon. The Neurosurgeon ordered that test and it showed that I have Neuropathy.

Have you been tested for a Vitamin B12 deficiency to see if your absorbing vitamin B12?

Do you get sores in the corners of your mouth a lot? I am just wondering is all.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Kathy,
    Nope, no sores in the corners of my mouth. Don't think I've had those blood tests, but there have been so many. What does the results of those tell you? Does Neuropathy stand on it's own, or is it part of lupus? How is it treated?

Larry

Thanks

Hi Larry,
    The test to look for SSA and SSB antibodies is to see if you are anti-RO and anti-LA positive which is seen in Sjogrens Syndrome. People that have Sjogrens have a problem with dry eyes and a dry mouth. Sometimes Peripheral Neuropathy is seen with Sjogrens and Lupus.

I asked about the test for Vitamin B12 as you can have neuropathy from a B12 deficiency and have Pernicious Anemia, but it does not sound like you would have that, because you do not have the sores in the corners of your mouth or the sore tongue. I was just curious is all.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

maybe you also have raynauds syndrome too my fingers toes and ears do that and thats what they diagnosed me with i think i read somewhere on here that its common in some lupus patients