Thread: U.N. Environmental Sabbath

Thanks

Default U.N. Environmental Sabbath

How wonderful, O Lord,
    Are the works of your hands!
    The heavens declare Your glory,
    The arch of sky displays Your handiwork.

The heavens declare the glory of God.

In Your love You have given us the power
    To behold the beauty of Your world,
    Robed in all its splendor.
    The sun and the stars,
    The valleys and hills,
    The rivers and lakes
    All disclose Your presence.

The Earth reveals Godís eternal presence.

The roaring breakers of the sea
    Tell of your awesome might;
    The beasts of the field
    And the birds of the air
    Bespeak Your wondrous will.

Life comes forth by Godís creative will.

In Your Goodness You have made us able to hear
    The music of the world.
    The raging of the winds,
    The whispering of trees in the wood,
    And the precious voices of loved ones
    Reveal to us that You are in our midst.

A divine voice sings through all creation.

___U.N. Environmental Sabbath
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Hatlady,

I'm not a particularly religious person. I consider myself an Agnostic. I find myself wishing and hoping that there is a higher power, a God, even though I don't believe. This is a really beautiful prayer. If I could believe in something, some higher power, this would be a prayer I would say. You mentioned that it's from the book Life Prayers From Around the World. I'm curious about the title of the prayer. Is that U.N. as in United Nations? Anyway, I really like it, thanks for sharing.

Rob

Thanks

Hello Rob!

Yes, i do believe it is United Nations - that would fit with the theme of the book. The prayer did not have a separate title, it just....began.

The full citation on the book:

Life Prayers from around the world: 365 Prayers, Blessings and Affirmations to Celebrate the Human Journey.

Editors Elizabeth Roberts and Elias Amidon
    HarperSanFrancisco
    isbn 0-06-251377-x

I do believe in a Great Spirit / God / Goddes / Higher Power - I don't know that I understand the right name, but I believe there is something out ther that we can tap for our inner strength, our hope, our courage for living day to day.

Rob, I hope you're able to tap into that energy of hope sometime, regardless of whether you call it God, or something else -
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Wow,

Thanks for the publisher/isbn number. I'm going to see if the local bookstore will track me down a copy. This prayer kind of struck me because as I was reading it, I could hear the ocean. We had our first winter storm today, and these huge waves were crashing against the cliffs below. It sounds like thunder. I've always loved that sound. The times when I could say I've felt spiritual have always been in the outdoors. There have been mountaintops in Colorado, canyons in Utah and Arizona. I always wished there was a reason for the existence of these amazing sights beyond just the science of erosion and how canyons or mountains are formed over vast expanses of time. That always seemed a rather cold way of looking at it, if that makes sense. Anyway, thanks again for the prayer, and the book info. Hope you have a good night.

Rob