Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruising?

Thanks

I knocked my leg against a table and it is purple and blue with the vein darker than the surrournding area running through the bruise.

Ever since I have been diagnosed with Lupus, I bruise extremely easily. I think it's just part of the disease. I have thicker blood that is thinned by taking aspirin so there are not clotting issues per say.

Where is SNT? I thought for sure she would have replied? Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well.

Take care,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Firstly Hi i am new here too only been on couple of weeks and learnt soo much already!!! i to bruise i always thought it was cause i have hughes as well as sle but who know now!! lol its funny when you find them in the most percular places inside of arms and legs i use to work with children and we did a course on checking for child abuse and one of them was bruises in percular places but i live on my own and thou yes i am clumsy think that another sle thing not that clumsy at one time i think i counted 10 or bruises on me at once!!! just madness lol

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default good morning

I too bruise easy, i will wake up in morning be getting dress and say were did that bruise come from, not even remebering doing anything.

Thanks

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to our forum and I am glad you joined in. We both have Anti-phospholipid Syndrome aka Hughes Syndrome. I haven't heard of many on the board that have it. It's nice talking to you and I hope you come back.

We have all learned that we have so much in common with Lupus, Fibro, and auto-immunes. I learn something new everyday.

Take care,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Hi Heidi,

Welcome to our forum and I am glad you joined in. We both have Anti-phospholipid Syndrome aka Hughes Syndrome. I haven't heard of many on the board that have it. It's nice talking to you and I hope you come back.

We have all learned that we have so much in common with Lupus, Fibro, and auto-immunes. I learn something new everyday.

Take care,

Faith
    Hi Faith yes i am learning soo much stuff which is good as have a consultant appointment moonday soo gone write alist she ain't gone know whats hit her!! lol
    And yes i'm soo glad ISDM told me about site and you don't get read of me that easily lol i tell people i'm like no nails once i stick i'm there for life lol!!
    and as far as hughs yes i never new it affected so more that just bruising!! well as you can see i can waffle for england!!! so will stop there and speak to you all soon xxxxxxxxx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hughes syndrome, also known as antiphospholipid syndrome or 'sticky blood' is a disorder characterized by blood clotting, both in the arteries and veins. Hughes syndrome is caused by the presence of antibodies in the blood, called antiphospholipid antibodies. These antibodies make the immune system work too hard, increasing blood clotting. Hughes syndrome is also an important cause of thrombotic disease, including thrombosis of the leg or arm or of any internal organ. As a result there is a possibility it can cause strokes and heart attacks.

As the main symptoms of Hughes syndrome (Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) ) is the increased tendency of blood clots, the treatment is aimed at thinning the blood to reduce the risk. Treatment to thin the blood may be with drugs, such as aspirin. Aspirin makes the blood less sticky, as well as cutting down the chances of thrombosis and strokes. APS may occur as an isolated disorder (primary antiphospholipid syndrome) or may occur along with another autoimmune disorder such as systemic lupus erythematosus (secondary antiphospholipid syndrome).

There are also stronger blood thinners available, such as heparin or warfarin depending on how severe the condition is

Often, with Lupus patients, easy bruising can be due to low platelets (aka: thrombocytopaenic purpura). This is a condition where there are decreased platelet counts, along with the presence of platelet antibodies. (ITP) is a bleeding condition in which the blood doesnít clot as it should. This is due to a low number of blood cells called platelets. People who have ITP often have purple bruises that appear on the skin or on the mucous membranes (for example, in the mouth). The bruises mean that bleeding has occurred in small blood vessels under the skin. A person who has ITP also may have bleeding that results in tiny red or purple dots on the skin. These dots, often seen on the lower legs, are called petechiae (peh-TEE-kee-ay). Petechiae may look like a rash.

People with ITP may have nosebleeds, bleeding from the gums when they have dental work done, or other bleeding thatís hard to stop. Women with ITP may have heavy menstrual bleeding. About 5 percent, whose ITP doesnít go away on its own may need to have further medical or surgical treatment.

Chronic ITP will vary with each individual and can last many years. Even people who have severe forms of chronic ITP can live for decades. Most people with chronic ITP are able at some point to stop treatment and keep a safe platelet count. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) do not often present simultaneously and it is difficult for doctors to diagnose. Treatment is usually with plasma exchange, steroids and immunosuppressive drugs, such as mycophenolate mofetil.

It is probably important that you make your doctors aware of your easy bruising because, as you can see, the issue may be very serious.

I wish you the best
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey Welcome...I also bruise very easily...told hubby sometimes it looks like he took a bat to me...many of them I can't even remember when I got them...
    Lucky7 if you find a way to paint the toenail that is not there...share it with me. Down in Texas(not sure where you live) warmer weather is here...well not today, we are having the last surge of what we call winter...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

OOOOOOH, Lucky you! Texas! Im in Ohio and its been a VERY cold and snowy winter so i am sooo ready for the warmth!!

Im not sure what to do about the nail yet! UGH Im having so many skin and nail issues lately. It seems like something new EVERY day. My eyes were done yesterday. I was luckier than they originally thought, i did catch it early enough to where it was more of a tear than a disconnect. SOOOOO Blurrry yesterday it nauseated me for the day. Im still blurry today and nausea comes and goes. I still cant go out in the sun for a while without my Special Sunglasses(more like goggles cuz they wrap around). The dr has to monitor me once a month indefinately. If my floaters get worse or any more Flashes i have to go in ASAP.

Please anyone who reads this dont ignore your floaters if youve never had them and/or if you have flashes of light or Curtains they call them. I have to have my eyes looked at on a consistent basis now cuz detachment can happen quickly. Hopefully a tear will occur first and its not as bad to fix. Waiting longer CAN lead to blindness.
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi,

You know what again thanks.I did go to the optician and now wear dark tinted glasses.I told the optician hw bad my flashes n floaters are and he said tell your doctor immediately.I did. He didnt seem bothered.I will make sure at my next Reumi appointment i tell him and make he listen (as Angel grabs and shakes the Rheumi)
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Yes Angel PLEASE tell the dr. Make an appt with an eye dr cuz their the only ones who can help you and stay on top of it. Its your sight were talking about.

ASAP MY SWEET ANGEL!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette