Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruising?

Thanks

Default Bruising?

I just have a quick question-I am bruising easily-has anyone else noticed this as one of your first symptoms? I have been told I don't have leukemia, which I was scared of at first, and I am waiting to see a rheumatologist in Dec. My dr. is suspecting possible lupus, but what would cause the bruising? The bloodwork shows my platelets at 279, which is definitely in the normal range. Just curious!

Thanks

Hi hdodson

What medications are you taking?

My mother bruised very easily she was on predisone (spelling?)

I'm usually covered in bruises but that has more to do with being a cluts.

I'm sure the others will be along soon with more answers for ya.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

I'm not on any medications, so that's why I am puzzled.

Thanks

What has your doctor said about the bruising? Are they still looking for answers?

In the mean time...start nibbling on walnuts and almonds. There are good for your veins and arteries. They help the walls to be flexable and not rupture so easiely. Makes em stretchy.

Hubby had a heart attack two years ago. I shovel them into him
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all! I'm new here and I also have a problem with bruises. Both the front of my shins are bruised from knee to ankle and has been bruised for a few years now. I miss wearing shorts and skirts without having to wear knee high boots My doc said it's because of the meds but, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do, eat or take(vitamins) to rid of these hideous bruises?

Thanks

Btw, I forgot to mention that I've tried eating almonds but I just can't seem to get it down anymore after a few days of eating it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default HI

I looked on the net for you and found this info.Remember i am no doctor and just thought its something to think about i could be totally wrong.If im not mistaken you can bruise easily too with Lupus.I am no expert...so im sure someone will come along and help you more, but i copied this just to read:----->

Everyone bruises from times to time. If one is constantly banging against furniture or involved in heavy contact sports, bruises are expected. Some people bruise easily, while others can be knocked about frequently with no apparent bruising. However, there may be some factors to explain why you bruise easily.

The amount of fat covering your body may be a contributing factor if you tend to bruise easily. If you do not have an adequate layer of body fat, then bruises will sometimes appear with the slightest knock. This is one of the reasons why some elderly people and children bruise easily. They may not have adequate fat on their arms and legs and may tend to bruise easily in these areas.

Bruising occurs when blood vessels under the skin break or burst due to a knock or injury. When damaged, the capillaries leak blood under the skin, and purplish or red bruising results. The colors of the bruise will change as the swelling dies down and the bruise fades.

Bruising does not only occur on the skin's surface. Deeper bruising can affect the tissues and organs. Although you will not be able to see these bruises, they can still swell and cause pain. A doctor should be consulted for any internal injury or pain.

Another reason that some people bruise easily is a rare genetic disorder called von Willebrand disease, which prevents the blood from clotting properly. This disorder affects at least 1% of the population. The symptoms of von Willebrand disease include excessive bleeding, especially in the nose and gums. The condition can also cause sufferers to bruise easily, typically in unusual locations. Symptoms of von Willebrand disease can be very mild, and for this reason, the condition often goes undetected. Von Willebrand disease is treated with a medication called Desmopressin.

Bruising is not abnormal. In some cases, you may bruise easily for no apparent reason from time to time. The colors of a bruise can sometimes look frightening, but they depend on the severity of the injury. If you experience any bruising that seems unusual, consult a doctor. Bruising can sometimes be a symptom of other illness, such as an irregularity in the liver or the blood clotting mechanism.

If you bruise easily due to accidental or sports-related injuries, it is best to limit the amount of bleeding that occurs. This can be achieved simply by applying an ice pack to the area. If you have no ice available, simply take a bag of frozen vegetables from the freezer and apply it to the bruise.
    Last edited by Angel Oliver; 03-09-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi MoCo,

first, let me welcome you to the group. I have only been a member for about 4 months, but i have gained so much from the membership. I hope we can help you.

I, too, bruise very easily. I have lost my ability to do several things at once, and I can't move with much grace anymore, so I bump into things. I have tried to slow down, do one thing at a time, and never rush when moving around. I don't seem to bump into things as often, but when i do, i bruise.

welcome, hope you are having a good day,
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi and Welcome!!!!!

I just wanted to say that im an easy bruiser too! I am falling alot and bumping into things too but all someone has to do is poke me lightly and Bam, theres a bruise. My Uncle barely stepped on my big toe and OMG, it bruised the next day! Then a month later i lost the whole nail,EWWWWWWW. I guess i need to use my imagination on how to paint a toenail thats not there for sandal season! If anyone has any ideas please let me know!!! LOL
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

I have a bruising issue too. I am a klutz but these are not all klutz related, I am really bruising in some places that I don't hit myself LOL! I don't know, but its on the list of stuff to ask my doctor tomorrow.
    Amy
    Mommy to a cute little three year old.
    I am a Juvenile Diabetic diagnosed at age 12, Positive ANA, arthritic joint pain, extreme fatigue, cannot take prednisone and am allergic to Plaquenil. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder, Graves disease and fibromyalgia