Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice about hair loss

Thanks

Default need advice about hair loss

I have had problems with my scalp for over a year now. When I wash my hair it clogs the drain. I have noticed three small spots of baldness thats not really noticeable to others unless I point then out. I dont know about in the back but I do know that I have three bumps back there since last year that swell sometimes and cause a terrible itch so I probably dont have hair in those areas.
    My question is for those who have experienced hair loss. Does it happen slowly or does it all start to fall out suddenly? Is it different dependent on the person or is it a certain pattern in which it happens? Does it grow back or is it lost forever? How do you cope with it?

Thanks

Awww gentle hugs to ya jaideni

My hair loss has been both gradual and clumpy. How am I coping...I'm not.

Every morning is a challange to get ready to go out the door and feel half way confident. Creative hair styles 101.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi jaideni,
    I have had problems with hair loss through the years, but my hair does eventually come back in. I hope that this happens for you. I think that it is common with Lupus to have this problem.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Over the past 6 months or so I have lost a substantial amount of hair, the bald spots became noticeable. So noticeable that the headband looks didn't cover them anymore. I wore a wig for a while. The hair started to come back so I went back to the head band look. In the past couple of days or so the hair loss seems worse again. I just don't get it! I wish there some sort a magic pill out there to make our hair grow right back!

Thanks

Hi Kim,
    We all wish there was a majic pill, but unfortunately there isn't any. How long have you been on medication? The medication should help you to get your hair back. I know when I had that problem years ago, I did not think my hair was going to come back in but it did. Hopefully soon you have your hair back in.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Sorry this disease causes so many stupid problems. My hair is really thick right now so the thinning out is only noticeable to me right now and I hope it doesnt get worse but judging by the amount of hair in the drain it might. It looks like someone has been yanking small plugs out my head. My daughter wants to play in it but I scared to let her do it anymore because I can feel the hair coming out of my head. I hate having lupus its already taken so much from me and Im not even as sick as some of the people here starting to feel like im a complainer and that i should be able to shake it off Anyway hope you all are having a good day

Thanks

:shock: jaideni

Why the heck should you shack off hair loss. We all have enough to cope with ... the hair loss is like yet another slap in the face that we could all do with out.

Complain away, and hugs to ya.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

HAIR LOSS SUCH A BAD BAD THING. WELL I ASKED MY DR ABOUT THAT TODAY AND SHE TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD TRY WOMENS ROGAINE IT HELPS SHE EVEN SHOWED ME A PAPER ABOUT HOW LUPUS PATIENTS ARE SEEING RESULTS IN THIS ........ AND IF MONEY IS A PROBLEM TRY THE GENERIC KIND. I ALSO BOUGHT THAT MYSELF TODAY ILL KEEP YOU POSTED AND LET U KNOW HOW IT WORKS
    The boundaries which divide life from death
    are at best shadowy and vague.
    Who shall say where one ends,
    and the other begins?

Thanks

I've been thinking about giving that a try myself Sandra.

I'm well past child baring years, so some of the side effects from it shouldn't be an issue for me.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hey...

SLE, during a flare your hair could thin, break off and it will grow back.

My hair thinned from a severe flare last year and did grow back. You can notice the hair growth by the 1/4" or so hairs that are straight up at the roots...looks like fuzz amongst your hair. In the light mine looked like a halo.

If it has a root ball then it is falling out. If there is not root ball then it is breaking off.

With Disoid Lupus, lesions on the scalp causes scarring and hair will not grow back.

Stress also causes hair loss. Medication can cause hair to weaken and break. My sister calls me med-head because my hair breaks.

Thyroid disorders, anemia, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, hormones.. or the use of certain medications can also cause hair loss in women that is often undiagnosed.

I've read the only drug approved for promoting hair growth in women is Minoxidil.

It's Friday..enjoy the weekend.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.