Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Flu and Pneumonia Shots

Thanks

Default About Flu and Pneumonia Shots

Hi all,
    I am wondering if everyone with Lupus is told to get the Flu and Pneumonia shots. I got mine today. I got the flu in one arm and the Pneumonia shot in the other arm. What is bad is that I have a cold that has set up in my voice box, but they told me that that should not be a problem. What do you think?

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There has been a constant and ongoing debate about Flu and Pneumonia shots for Lupus patients. Some doctors advocate the shots because of our compromised immune systems; some doctors warn against the shots because of our compromised immune systems.
    Getting the shots has become a personal decision between the Lupus patient and their doctor and is based upon how your particular Lupus reacts to the shot.
    The first time that I got a flu and pneumonia shot, I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia! Ten days in the hospital....ugh!
    However, now I only get the flu shot and it has helped me each year. Like you, I get symptoms in my voice box for several days, but it eventually goes away.
    I would say that your decision to continue to get the shots will depend upon how you react to the ones you've received.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    I am seriously considering refusing the Pneumonia shot in the future, because my right arm is so sore that it is not even funny and this cold is horrible. The cold started Wednesday and oh it is a bad one for sure. It is especially bad due to the pain of this stinking shot in my right arm. I have a big lump where I got the shot. What is strange is right after I got the shot, my arm started itching bad where I got the shot and I immediately told the nurse, but she did not seem concerned. It does not itch now, but it hurts big time. I just think that this is the last shot I will get for Pneumonia vaccine if this is the way it is going to do me.

I am sorry to hear that you got Pneumonia from the shot. I hope that that does not happen to me.

Saysusie, I am wondering if you experience this where you catch a cold and then when the cold clears up do you go right into a Lupus Flare? This seems to happen to me big time. I mean do you know if this is a common occurrance with those of us with Lupus. Thanks for reading my post and responding.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:

Thanks

I've had Pneumonia, but not the shot :lol:

I've just had my second flue shot. It worked well for me last year so I decided to have it again.

I'm paranoid about Pneumonia....having had it makes you vulnerable to catching it again. Makes me nervous, but not nervous enough to get the shot.

My body feels like chemical soup as it is.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi SITC,
    I have had Pneumonia a few times in my life and I guess I got the shot as I do not want to experience that situation ever again. My arm is very sore from the shot. I got the Pneumonia shot last year and it did not make my arm this sore, so I don't know if I will ever get this shot again.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Medications:

Thanks

Hey Kathy

It might have been the person giving you the shot that makes the difference. At my doctor's office there's two nurses. One of them is great, I've never had a problem. The other nurse...well...it's not the actual giving of the shot that hurts.

But I have noticed that she angles the shot differently and it always leaves me sore for the rest of that day.

Next time I'm in I'll as doc about the Pneumonia shot. I was in a really bad way when I had that. Mostly it was a bad reaction to the medication I was on.

Ended up at ER on christmas eve in tears cause they were not going to let me go home. The stupid drug made my temperature shoot up to 109 f. Vomiting diahrea ... I was a mess.

They finally listened to me and allowed me to miss my next dose and watched as my temp went down and I steadily improved. I was home before santa came

I was 34 yrs old at the time....and I wasn't sure how good I had been, but no lumps of coal
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi SITC,
    I had Pneumonia at the age of 20 and it put me in the hospital for a week. The stupid military should have spotted the Lupus then, but they didn't. I was on active duty at the time. I also had RSV Pneumonia as a baby and nearly died due to that situation. I guess that is why I get the shot to hopefully avoid getting Pneumonia.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kathy;
    Sorry I'm so late in answering your question. The answer is YES...BIG TIME!! I either go into a horrible flare after a cold or flu or I have a terrible flare and then come down with a horrible cold or the flu. The worst part is, whichever way it occurs, it is a month or more before I am reasonably recuperated. It is always an awful time for me because the symptoms are so severe and they last so long. I've also noticed that it is getting harder and harder for me to avoid getting sick, flaring up, and being down for weeks to a month. So, I have to be more and more diligent about taking care of myself, staying away from people who are only remotely ill, and avoiding places where germs might spread (like airports, restaurants, etc.) All in all, it is a big P.I.T.A.!!!!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    Thank you for answering. I am very worried as I know I will be hit and hit hard after this cold with a damn flare and it sucks. I try to avoid being around anyone that is ill too, but in this case it could not be avoided as I babysit my grandson and he started passing the cold around. He got and then his daddy and then my husband and unfortunately now I have it. I have noticed for years that it is like this with me. I guess I am like you in that respect too and I think that this is the case with all people with Lupus. I will survive.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, we will survive...but we are so dangblasted sick in the meantime. My last cold was a gift from my beautiful 11 mo old God Daughter! So, I know what you mean about your grand son. But, it is a chance that I am willing to take because I will not forgo seeing her just to avoid getting sick! I'm sure that you feel the same way :lol:
    We will soldier on, and take as many precautions as we can. What else can we do?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie