Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone + hunger= madness

Thanks

Default Prednisone + hunger= madness

Is there any one else on Prednisone?
    How does one deal with the increased appetite side effect of the Prednisone? It's driving me slightly mad.
    Lupo

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The increased appetite and weight gain are two of the most annoying side effects of Prednisone (especially for women). I do not know if there is a standard protocol to deal with these issues. However, most doctors will tell you to change your eating habits to include more fresh foods and vegetables; Increase your intake of water; To eat 4-5 small meals per day as opposed to three large meals and to increase your exercise routine.

Unfortunately, even doing all of the above may not prevent the puffy face :cry:

Perhaps someone else will pop in who has more suggestions for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you!!! Finally an anwer to my enigma!
    Lupo

Thanks

Default Eating + Prednisone

Does everyone get the puffy face when on the Prednisone? I think that is the only concern for me. The weight gain is not an issue as I am already overweight. :lol:

Thanks

Hi YPT,
    The folks that tend to get the moon face are the folks that are on high doses of Prednisone for a long time. I am talking about 60mg doses or higher. Hopefully once you get on the Plaquenil real good and it gets kicked in you may be able to taper off of the Prednisone.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

YPT

I get the pumpkin head if I take it for than two weeks. Last week I looked like a balloon on a string..was on a 30 day stint of steroids. Started at 60mg...weaned to 20mg. Still I had the jug head.

I am not so certain if dose amount is the totaling puff factor. I would say it depends on the person, dose and length...

Lupo...my two cents..ditto what all suggested and also watch the salt..sodium intake while on the steroids too. Reach for fresh.

Low calorie fillers
    Apples
    Celery
    Shrooms
    Spinach
    Salad Greens
    Cukes

Because prednisone changes the way our bodies metabolize fat and carbohydrates (sugar and starch)..this alteration results in a tendency to gain weight.

When eating a small meal...ensure it includes three ounces of protein and one fat. Those will keep you fuller longer. And load up on the green and colorful fresh stuff. Avoid starchy carbs....

On my recent vacation I didn't follow the rules and I plumped right up...water and fat 13 pounds. But me, I look at a donut's hole and I gain weight.

I am still battling the recent gain...unsure why. I'm taking Lasix every other day from water built up..but still sloshing around...

Be well..
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

I am on my third round of prednisone. I dont have the weight gain nor the hunger issues. Although I do have stomach issues. Anything I eat just sits in my gut like lead and right now my gut is hurting so badly. That I think is from the GERDS tho. Hence me being awake so early.

Im sorry, Hope that you can fill up that hungry bear in your belly.

Kasey

Thanks

I also react to prednisone like noodlemom...it also makes me nausated, too. I hate how it makes me feel, in that area, but I also have some renewed energy, too and less swelling, and pain, too.

I think the puffy face does go away for those who get it but it is after getting off the drug.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Well the hunger is starting to fade off because my dosage has been dropped finally! I'm down to 40 mg. now.
    Lupo

Thanks

Oh Great Lupo...maybe you can come even farther off...it is great that you don't need as high a dose.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost