Thread: Veteran's Day

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Veteran's Day

Just wanted to pay tribute to all the Veteran's today, especially the WWII Vets who are passing away at the rate of 1400/1500 per day.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hello all,

My sister is the Admin at the local V.A. Hospital here. Today, I had the opportunity, and honor of spending most of my day at the facility visiting with the patients there. This is not the first time I've done this, but being Veterans Day, it made it a very special visit. There are alot of WWII vets there, as well as veterans of the Korean, Vietnam, Gulf Wars 1 and 2, and Afghanistan conflicts.

I enjoy talking to the guys, and listening to their own slice of history from so many places and times. I find that many of the vets really enjoy talking to a younger guy like me, and comparing how different some aspects of the service are from their time, to today. It's always an enjoyable visit. It's good to see how much care and attention are given to these people, and not just on days like today. The staff at the facility really does alot to make sure our vets are never simply pushed aside, and forgotten.

There is one fellow there who was a tank crewman like I used to be. He drove a Sherman Tank in Europe in WW-II during the final push to Berlin. It was so interesting to compare notes. We both took our basic and advanced training at Ft. Knox KY. He was there in 1942, I was there in 1990. It's always fun to visit with a fellow "Treadhead", as we tankers are called. All in all, it was a great day, and I'm thankful that by sheer luck, I was feeling well enough to pay them all a visit today. We owe them so much for what they have done.

Rob

Thanks

I would like to thank all the veterans all the way from the past to the present for thier dedication to this country for the freedoms that we get to enjoy.

Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.