Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a Lupus flare up look/feel like?

Thanks

I think it lasts until it goes in remission. I was told by my rheumy to expect it to last about a year. However, once the drugs kick in, the symptoms will begin to be minimized. YAY!

I've been on prednisone a week, still the symptoms are the same.

I've been 'sick' since the last week of September. UGH.
    "I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship."
    -- LOUISA MAY ALCOTT

Lupus, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, Lupus Anticoagulant Syndrome, Spondylitis

Thanks

lupo, oluwa, & oopsydoopsygirl,
    my name is ms. paula, I just found this site recently.
    I have lived with lupus since 1990. my mother died from it in 1984.
    I know and understand what you are going through.
    I have already been there -- several times !! if you have good doctors,techs,nurses,labs,then be selfish and think of your needs
    first, you can stop alot of the pain and stress. find the middle that you can
    handle,with diet,health care,meds,down time,making the bed,doing the dishes. everything you do has a middle,you have to work towards that goal each day.
    if your tired - rest, if your hungry - eat, if your sleepy - sleep. you are going to learn that this illness is "BIG TIME" bad stuff !!! but if you are a
    whimp -- it will take you down a miserable road that will show you where bottom "IS". don't go there !! if you need someone to be there for you then your on the right website. we all can help each other. I have been to the point that I know what the words; crazy,depressed,loony,tired,lonesome,grippy,misera ble, and yes suicide,
    means.but I made my mind up there are other words that can come into play; hopeful,cheery,upbeat,active,socialize, so remember I'm ready to help.
    may each day be full of happiness for you all !!!!
    Ms.Paula

Thanks

Whe i get a flare it tends to be:

Aches in knees and wrists
    Lightheadedness
    Unable to sleep for hours
    When i do sleep, i wake and cant get out of bed
    Get cold like symptons
    Temperature goes up and down like made
    Can't walk very well
    Can't focus on things
    I get Raynauds as well which hurts when i warm up

Basically, when I have one I snuggle in bed for a long time and watch TV.

But when I'm ok it is important to be active, not too active, but otherwise I'll just become a lot worse i sense.

I think the other thing is the variety of durations people have, some people have years on, years off, mine seem to be 3 day o 3 day off rotations!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

when im about to flare, AND still in flare country, this is was happens to me

headaches
    seizures
    joint swelling and pain
    backache and neck pain
    fainting/dizzyness
    leg pain (in the weakest leg, due to 2 previous dvt's)
    fatigue and insomnia
    hip pain
    memory loss
    cant get out of bed mode
    raynauds in my toes,

but like you said lupo everyone is different,

Thanks

Another question: These different types of flares: are they associated with how severe your onet of Lupus is? Or is " the luck of the draw" kind of thing?
    Lupo

Thanks

Hi Lupo,
    I think it is more of the luck of the draw type of thing. Flares can be different at different times.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

So, say you have a headache for a flare one day, you could then have a seizure the next day becaue of how unprdictable this thing is?
    Lupo

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's basically the gist of this disease! Your flare could be muscles aches today that lasts for three days, one day or two hours. Then your next flare could be skin rashes. Your next flare could be migraines. Your next flare could be joint pains;

I could go on, but you see what we mean now?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Confused

I started on Prednisone a couple weeks ago. I will begin Plaquenil on Monday (waiting for some tests to get back first)... I was feeling pretty good the past few days, so thought the Prednisone is working for me.

Last night I was up all night with the horrible itchy rash which is all over my scalp, torso and legs. My hands are very swollen as well. I have a lot of joint pain in my right knee and I was up all night peeing.

What gives? Does this mean the Prednisone isn't working afterall? Is this just to be expected? Does the extreme peeing have anything to do with anything? Should I call my doctor or should I just suck it up and go on with my days?

Thanks
    "I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship."
    -- LOUISA MAY ALCOTT

Lupus, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, Mixed Connective Tissue Disease, Lupus Anticoagulant Syndrome, Spondylitis

Thanks

Hi oopsydoopsygirl

Call the pharmasist and tell them about your reactions AND call your doctor...yes yes yes go see your doctor.

The doctor might tell you to keep taking it, but you should make them aware of what's going on.

Call the pharmasist to put your mind at ease quickly, but follow up with a visit to your doctor.

Hope this helps.
    Oh look ... a cookie