Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headaches and Yogurt

Thanks

Default Headaches and Yogurt

I just learned that yogurt can trigger headaches, migraines. My sister suffers with migraines. She has had a migraine every day. Maybe one day in a week she would not have one. She found a more extensive list of foods that people with migraines should avoid. On this list was potato chips and yogurt. She told me that since following the list she had 4 days last week that she did not have a migraine

I have been eating yogurt with fiber in it to aid with my IBS and stomach issues for about two or three months. I have also had severe headaches for about the same length of time. I have not eaten yogurt for three days now. My headaches have decreased in intensity and I am hoping tha they will stop altogether.

Now I just have to find another way to get that fiber.

I thought that this was interesting and hope that it may help someone else too.

kasey

Thanks

Yogurt causes headaches? :? I eat a yogurt once a day. I thought yogurt was supposed to be good for you. Do you know what is in yogurt that causes headaches?
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

No I dont know what is in the yogurt that could cause headaches. How ever I think I may have just disproved that theory. I havent had yogurt in several days but woke up this morning with a doozy of a headache. But I didnt sleep well last night so who knows?
    Do yo think dairy could be the problem?
    Gosh I sure wish I could figure it out. Headaches suck.

Kasey

Thanks

Hi Kasey,
    I never heard of Yogurt causing headaches, but then again I never eat it. I can't stand the taste of yogurt. I have heard that chocolate can cause headaches. I get bad headaches too and have yet to fully figure out what is causing them. I hope that you get better and get rid of the headache.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Well,

my choices are, eat the yogart to avoid headachs and dizzy spells and diahrea from my medication.

Or don't eat the yogart and have that list of goodies up there.

Fraid I'm stuck. Yogart it is.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

This may sound kinda off but do you think that because of the yogurt being cold, it might constrict the blood flow in the cranial area? you know like a prolonged brain freeze? just a thought.
    Lupo

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Researchers believe that headaches may be triggered by foods containing tyramine, an amino acid known to affect the body's serotonin levels. For this reason, headache sufferers are told to avoid consuming high levels of chocolate, sour cream, yogurt, aged cheeses and organ meats. One cup of yogurt per day does not constitute high levels of tyramine. However, the other foods eaten in combination with the yogurt might just be enough tyramine to cause a headache!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Interesting discussion. I eat yogurt all the time. I find it's a great buffer for when I need to take Naproxen/Aleve. For me it really cuts down on the stomach ache I always get from it. I do get terrible headaches from time to time, but they are almost always when I'm in the middle of a flare with a bunch of other inflammation going on. I've never really associated headaches with the food that I eat. Hmmm.

BTW-Saysusie, what the heck are "organ meats"? That sounds like
    one of those creative phrases that the WHL robo-censor comes up with.
    I'm still laughing about the Charles Meat Flute incident! :lol:

Thanks

Hi Kasey. Don't be quick to judge the yogurt just yet. I am a migraine sufferer, all females in my family are. We all have different triggers. One of my triggers is certain foods. To properly find your trigger, as a doc helped me, keep a food and headache journal. Migraines can be 12-72hrs long. Anything longer than that is a back-to-back migraine where your trigger is exposed before the migraine you have has actually run its course. My triggers are citrus fruit, processed chocolate, aged cheese, wine and beer. I found them with my journal. You keep a daily track of food intake, and drinks, then any headaches you had. Also grade your headache on a scale 1-10. Slowly start omitting the foods you suspect and keep notes. After the food, or drink, has been out of your system for a full month you re-introduce it to your body. Most reactios are instant to 6hrs I believe. My journal took 6mths to figure the triggers, but turned out I had more than I expected. Everyone's different, like my female relatives have no food triggers or only 1-2. I have multiple, like citrus gives me a migraine in 20min that last 72hrs. While chocolate takes 3hrs and last only 24hrs. With wine, the smell triggers one instantly. Ask your doc to help, it's good to have someone monitoring to catch things you may have missed. I had migraines so much, I would only have relief 3-4 days a month. Now if I'm careful I only have one a month. I also get them from bright lights, piercing noises and bad smells, so tuff to keep fully at bay. My life is better without them, I just treat it like a food allergy. Doc says its almost the same anyways, keep the food out that causes reactions to the body. Then your body will not have a problem. Food allergies run in my family as well, so doc said its possible to be an allergic reaction. Not everyone gets rashes, that's just the most common reaction.

Hope this has been helpful .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Oh yeah, organ meats are things like chicken or beef liver, gizzards, hearts, etc... My family grosses me out, I grew up with it on the table, didn't eat it though. Mum made me try it once, no thanks :shock: . Some people just love it. Mum joked calling it organ meat was probably just a nicer package label. I have tried telling my family that's the kind of meat that's probably causing most there migraines, but they don't listen. Also may be why none of my relatives live to 60. My mum's one of the oldest, and she's only 58. Scarey they don't change their diets, heart problems are high in our family and those meats are to be avoided. I eat like my great-grams and her sister, they lived to their 90's eating low amounts meat and lots of veggies and rice. Hope I'm that lucky. All in all, organ meat is not really good for anyone I believe, from what I've read.
    Cheryl