Thread: ANA Test???

Thanks

Default ANA Test???

I am currently being seen by a RA. I have been tested routinley the last 8 months. My ANA was 1:2550, he said that that could be affected by the thyroid. I have a lot of the signs of SLE, but the down fall is I told him I had been told I had fibro, so now that's the direction he has been going. My concerns are because of this he has put lupus on the back burner. I am on Lyrica 300mg a day and take diclofenac 75mg twice daily. My concern is I am going down hill fast it seems, I can barely do my job. I asked for a medical leave to get better and he said dthat he could filll out the paper work but now one has received medical disability for fibro. thats not what I was asking for, I just needed a break. I don't know what to do?? Do I see another RA for second opinion...or wait he said he might wnat to re-check my eval. again. I just want to be able to function again, not at top notch but just able todo.HELP
    sheila

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is entirely possible to have Lupus and Fibromyalgia (I have both diseases). One should not be disregarded just because a person has the other. Yes, the symptoms are quite similar. The biggest difference being: Fibromyalgia is NOT a disease..it is a condition and it does not affect internal organs or joints. Lupus, on the other hand, IS a chronic disease which can affect your internal organs, cause inflammation throughout the body and is replete with relapse/remission.
    It might behoove you to insist that your doctor continue to test you for Lupus if you feel that your symptoms cannot be attributed to Fibromyalgia. Here is a web site to help you distinguish between the two:
    http://arthritis.about.com/b/2006/09...bromyalgia.htm

I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey tootiredtoplay,

I also have both Fibro and lupus...you might want to find another doctor. The first Rheumy that I went to had the same cavalier attitude. He also chose to discount the lupus angle and stick to fibromyalgia but in his case he was still with the cavemen in his thinking. He went on to be patronizing. I cried the whole way home. I refused to go back to see him.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Ditto here - I also have lupus and fibro. This is NOT uncommon and an astute rheumatologist should know that. You will have to be your own advocate and insist that more investigation is done. It's so easy for a doctor to get distracted when there is more than one condition or disease active - follow one path and forget that there is another. My SLE pain is joint-related; my fibro is soft tissue or muscle pain. I think that's the case for many of us. But, they do have some symptoms in common, too. The site Saysusie sent you will help you differentiate.

I hope you get some real answers and real help from your doctor. If not - time to move on to a doctor who really listens.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."