Thread: new member-this hurts

Thanks

Default new member-this hurts

Hi-
    New diagnosis-I'm a nurse for 38 years and I am just learning about this the hard way. Couldn't lift my right arm all day-woke up that way. Is this normal? Is this how it's gonna go? Hope it's only one body part at a time, 'cause I gotta work. If it all goes bad at once, I'm in trouble.

Not sure how to use the smiley/not-so-smiley faces on the left? But-I guess I'll be learning alot of new things, eh? I definitely can relate to one or more of them!

I can face any challenge as long as I know the program. Can we become disabled or die from this ugly disease? Thanks and I'll be reading everything I can to understand this journey-
    Jeanne

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jeanne,

I try to say hello to all of the new people here. I'm feeling a bit rough around the edges, so I'll have to make this short. There are a whole bunch of folks here who have the same fears, and the same concerns that you do, and they, we, understand how you feel. Hang out, make yourself at home, and our other regulars will be along to say hello as well. Welcome.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi jeanne;
    Welcome to our family.
    Lupus is a disease that affects each of us differently - no two persons have the exact same symptoms.
    The fact that you were not able to lift your arm could be due to several issues. Some include overlap illnesses that many Lupus patients also suffer from, that affects the muscles. Some of those illnesses include Fibromyalgia; dermatomyositis; Scleroderma and others.
    You probably should discuss this symptom with your doctor so that you can find out what the exact cause is and what type of treatment will help. Please keep us posted.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Jeanne,
    Welcome to the site. I am sorry that you are feeling so badly. My name is Kathy and I have had Lupus for over 44 years, but did not get diagnosed until I was 36 years old.

You asked if people die from this disease and unfortunately there are some that die, but that is not the norm. Most people are able to live a normal life span with the help of medications. There are some really good medications out there that help a lot in the treatment of Lupus.

I hope that you keep posting.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi Jeanne...

Welcoming you with a warm hug. I see your questions are being answered...

How is your arm today? If there is a next time, try heat or cold compresses and try to stretch your arm. A bit of massaging may help...

Lupus is indeed a journey...an emotional, spiritual and physical journey. It can be rough, it can be mild..it can be many months filled with remission. Whatever the day unfolds for you, we are here for you...We share in each others joy, pain, madness, crappy days, laughter, anger, loneliness and good happenings.

Great support here because we understand, we get it when others don't...it is safe here.

Again welcome...be well.
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well my aches and pains didn't come all at once, but this is such an individual disease and affects each and every one of us so differently. Some days I have one arm that I can barely lift, other days it's both arms. Some days I can lift them both, but I always have a little if not a lot of pain.

Sometimes reality just plain sucks, but we just have to press onward and upward!

Thanks

Hi Jeanne;
    I am a nurse as well. I had no idea what Lupus was until I was diagnosed.
    My name is Kim. I am the mother of 3, a pediatric ER nurse and a Lupus sufferer. I was diangosed 5 years ago at the age of 32. My symptoms include chronic headaches, pain in my knees, hips, elbows and hands, fatigue, and 3+ pitting edema to my legs and arms as well as ascites. My newest symptoms include back pain, bone pain and petit mal seizures as well as numbness and tingling to both of my arms and legs that comes and goes.
    Twelve hour shifts are pure hell but I have to work. I was taken off all NSAIDS because of concerns for my kidneys. Iwas offered narcotics for the pain but refused. I can not take narcotics, work night shift and have small kids (10, 8 and 2). My fellow nurses are good about helping me when they can, but we are always so busy that I am usually on my own.
    Starting an IV is pure hell when my hands and elbows hurt.
    I have intermittent FMLA in place for days I feel really bad. Maybe this is an option for you. Check into your hospitals policy on this.

Good luck to you and keep writing. This website is wonderful. I don't feel so alone anymore.
    Kim

Thanks

Awww gentle hugs to ya purple_butterfly

Sorry to hear you have NSAID issues. Have you checked into natural path medicine?
    Oh look ... a cookie