Thread: LUPUS PATIENT IN THE PHILIPPINE NEEDS HELP..

Thanks

Default LUPUS PATIENT IN THE PHILIPPINE NEEDS HELP..

My sister is suffering from lupus.. she's now under going dialysis..
    I seek help for her medication.. because we're really loosing our resources at the moment.. i dont know where to go to.. to seek some help.. in the philippines.. lupus patient receive little support from the gov't. What will i do.. is there someone, or some group that can help us.?

Thanks

Hi Septbaby031,
    Welcome to the site. My name is Kathy and I have SLE Lupus. I live in the states, in South Georgia. I don't know how it works in foriegn countries. I am sorry to hear about your sister. I am wondering if maybe you could contact the American Lupus Foundation and maybe they could have some information for you. Maybe Saysusie one of the moderators of the site would have some information. Please keep posting and also post in the new members forum and thee you will get more replies.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Just an FYI-I moved this topic to the "New Members-Introduce Yourself!" area so it will be more visible, and hopefully generate more answers for you septbaby031. Thanks.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Septbaby031;
    First, I would suggest that you contact the Lupus Foundation of the Philippines (or attend their next meeting on Nov. 8, 2008). Here is their information:
    P.O. Box SM478
    Manila, Philippines
    Tel : (+632) 727 . 3055 / (+632) 748 . 9746
    Fax : (+632) 749 . 9746
    Email : refti@pacific.net.ph

Are you aware of the FamilyCare clinics in the Philippines? These clinics offer alternatives to the expensive private health facilities and the lower-overcrowded government-run health facilities. USAID grants supported the establishment of ten FriendlyCare Clinics and The Philippine Department of Health, Commission on Population, and the National Economic and Development Authority provided guidance on the programís implementation. There are ten (10) of these clinics in the Philippines.
    Also, The Department of Health (DOH) recently signed the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of the Universally Accessible and Affordable Quality Medicines Act of 2008 otherwise known as the "Cheaper Medicines Act of 2008". The said IRR will take effect 15 days after publication.
    I understand that there are Provincial Hospitals where free treatment and hospitalization is available. Unfortunately, these operate on certain days of the week and at certain hours and are not always staffed by doctors (mostly nurses).
    From all of the research that I've done, it appears that affordable health care is not easily accessible in the Philippines and that making medication affordable is still in the planning stages. I know that a law was passed recently forcing doctors to prescribe generic brands of medications in order to make them more affordable. But the law lacked enforcement language, and so doctors continue to prescribe the branded equivalent of the medications, the end result being that their actions have nullified generics altogether. The Philippines has the most expensive medicines in Asia, the prices there are next only to those in Japan. According to the Philippine International Trading Corporation, the cost of medicine in the Philippines is higher, by 40 percent to 180 percent, than other Asian countries.

As a result three out of five Filipinos get sick without being able to see a doctor at all. In 2005, Filipinos spending for medicines dropped by 2.2 percent while prices of medicines went up by 10 percent, according to the PITC.

For many Filipinos, buying drugs accounts for as much as 45 percent of the total health expenditures. Such a pattern is not seen in the US where drug expenditure accounts for a much lower 10 percent of health expenditures.

I wish that I were able to have more helpful information for you. Do contact the Lupus Foundation of the Philippines and see what information they can give you. Let us know what you are able to find out. I wish you and your sister the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for reply and info

About the family care clinics in my country.. honestly .. i dont have a idea that it exist. I already gave the number of the lupus foundation to my mother. Im praying that they can really give us some help. Yes indeed, medicines in the Philippines is having high prices.. My sister is now using some liquid medicine.. i dont know what it is called.. it something used for her dialysis.. it is being infuse in her peritoneal and drain it after 4 hours. it is done 6 times a day. Is there a generic type for this medicine? She's using BAXTER brand. She's also having cyclo everymonth.. and taking medrol.. her creatinine rise to 13 last aug and now down to 10.1..

We hope for the recovery of her kidney..
    kindly pray for her.

Thanks alot.

P.S
    My sister is only 15 years old.

-joie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Septbaby031;
    There are a number of drugs used for pertoneal infusion. Is hers Dianeal PD-2?
    You mentioned that her medication was produced by Baxter. Baxter is a generic company. Baxter manufactures and markets products and services used to treat patients with hemophilia, immune deficiencies, infectious diseases, cancer, kidney disease, trauma and other disorders. Baxter manufactures and markets Dianeal PD-2.
    Here is the generic information for Dianeal PD-2 produced by Baxter:
    Brand Name: Dianeal PD-2 with 3.5% Dextrose
    Generic Drug: LVP solution

Active Ingredients: calcium; chloride; dextrose; lactate; magnesium; sodium
    Dose Form Description: solution
    Route Description: intraperitoneal
    Dianeal PD-2 with 3.5% Dextrose Strength Description: Dextrose 3.5% with Electrolytes (Dianeal PD-2)

Which generic drug companies are producing Dianeal PD-2 with 3.5% Dextrose?
    Baxter Healthcare Corporation

If this is what your sister is taking, this is the generic drug. Sorry
    :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

*sigh*
    it is already a generic drug...

:cry:

What else we can do? any siggestions?
    With Thanks,
    -joie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do not know what is available to you in the Philippines with reference to getting help to pay for medication (other than the information that I provided above). I was hoping that at least one of the places that I mentioned would be willing to give you referrals to someone who could help you.
    I'm sorry that I do not have information on how you can get her medication for a lesser price. Perhaps someone else will know more than I and will have some suggestions for you.

I'm truly sorry
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie