Thread: Relentless Itching

Thanks

Default Relentless Itching

I itch everywhere, but no rash or discoloration. My scalp to my toes. I'm on no meds, so no side effect possible culprit. I've lotioned, bathed and showered. Relief only as I itch, returns as soon as I stop. The hot water from the bath and shower actually bring out the itch more. Yet theirs nothing to see as usual. I have fibro, so is it possible its nerve endings? Is there any relief? What can I do. Oatmeal and creams are not soothing it. I can't keep digging at my skin. The skin on face burns a little when I put the lotion there, never happened before. I'm careful to not scratch my face. I know my skins sensitive there. What can I do. I'm good at home remedies, but can't think with this itching. Minds all blank of thoughts, help please!
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You may be suffering from puritis. Puritis can be with a rash or without a rash. It is very difficult to determine the underlying cause of Puritis when there is no rash. However, when it occurs in Lupus patients, it is often a symptoms of the disease. Pruritus and pain are closely related sensations, since the same nerves transmit both signals to the brain. When the area of skin is scratched, that same area may become even itchier, leading to more scratching. This is called the itch-scratch cycle. Since your itching is not localized to a particular area of skin, it is likely that is is caused by your underlying systemic disease (especially since you say you are taking no medications). You should know that the itching symptoms also may be caused by various infections (including parasitic infections of the intestines), iron deficiency, liver disease, kidney disease, high or low thyroid function, as well as certain cancers such as lymphoma. Chronic urticaria (hives), especially dermatographism, and systemic forms of contact dermatitis, are also common causes of generalized pruritus, even if no visible rash is present.

The best treatment of pruritus is to fix the underlying cause of the itching (the systemic disease), as well as treatment of the specific skin condition. Have you tried topical steroid creams or oral antihistamines? If none of these ease the symptoms, I would recommend that you advise your doctor so that you can be evaluated and treated.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Saysusie. Thanks for the info, good to know I'm not loosing it :lol: . Without seeing any cause, I thought I must be just imagining it that bad. Until I got out of the shower last night, and full fledge itch everywhere. I do have some itch cream from my little sis, maybe try that. I've had itching before, not this bad, and the np and doc said it comes with having fibro and should ease. That was it, not sure if I should bother calling again. Seems lately if they can't see it, nothing to treat. I know no low iron, mine's always border-line high. Went off meds so I can donate blood. Its what helps lower my iron, haven't done it in years. My iron is pushing to high, blood bank said i need to rid of some soon. Even my monthly period only lowers a little for only a few days.

I will at least call doc and tell them the itching is back worse. I will not go in though, only to be told "I see nothing causing it, it shall pass soon. It comes with having fibro". Gets annoying after a while. Thanks again. Found some "cooling" lotion, going to try that too.
    Cheryl

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I, too, have Fibromyalgia. However, the incessant itching that you describe is not one of my symptoms. But, yes, itching with no apparent cause is one of the most common symptoms of Fibromyalgia. Again, it relates to the way that your body interprets your pain signals and it's otherwise known as a sensory itch. The receptors in the outer layer of your skin are responsible for translating the amount of pressure it receives. These pressures can be translated into pain, for example. But when these receptors come across an unfamiliar pressure, they revert to the 'default signal'. And what's the default signal? Itching!

Whatever the cause, your doctor should be willing to prescribe treatment for you. I mentioned, previously, corticosteroid creams; tell your doctor to prescribe one of these creams (don't ask, tell him). If the cream does not work, call your doctor and tell him that he must prescribe another cream and/or treatment. Continue to do this until your doctor prescribes a treatment that helps you. Your doctor is supposed to help with a treatment or prescription drug to help you with your symptoms.

Anyway, here are some tips that I've come across from others on this board who have dealt with incessant itching:

* Cold packs. Cold apparently numbs the receptors that translate the pressure signals into an itch.
    * Continue to moisturize your skin well and do it continually. Dry skin will make your itching worse.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions. Picked up some cortozone itch cream today. Hoping that helps. I have an app. on the 14th, I'll just have them write something if this cream doesn't help. I really don't feel like dealing with the np again, hearing how busy the doc is and just can't make it :roll: . It is wearing on my nerves, hope it stops soon. I have my book, its keeping my mind busy. Getting irritable from this constant itch . I'll try a cool bath since it seems coolness helps others.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl and Saysusie,
    I am wondering too about the itching. I have a real problem with this, but not all the time. I don't have Fibro as I was checked for that. When I asked my Rheumatologist about this problem he told me that, because I have Neuropathy that that was causing it and that there was not much that could be done about it. I did buy the some cortisone 1.0 cream and have used that with minimal help. At times it really gets on my nerves and I itch sores on myself unintentionally, but none the less I do. Maybe if you come with a good solution, I will benefit from it too.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

So sorry Kathy you have to deal with this too. I keep scratching until skins all pink, not meaning too. Most annoying area is my face, sensitive too. The cream helped, only shortly though. The cool bath was a relief, but my joints and bones ached. The relief was worth it, though not as long lasting as I hoped. It is quite irritating, seems no relief in sight at times and can't spend all day in the tub. Now on top of this itch I'm fighting ill feel in tummy. It seems to come and go. Oldest son had a cold, then hubby and then 2 day-care kids. I keep feeling as if I'm coming down with it, then eases up. Then its back, a yo-yo effect. I wish it would just get here or pass. Don't know if I can handle not knowing if I'll be ill or not for the day. On top of the itching, its more than a person can take it seems.

Hope everyones having a blessed Sunday and feeling well.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi Cheryl,
    I am sorry to hear that you are feeling ill to your stomach today. It must be a severe cold that is going around. My grandson, Tyler, has a severe cold and he will be 5 months old on the 4th. My son-in-law is also sick and now my husband has it. I watch my grandson for my daughter and her husband as they both work and I may have brought it home to my husband. So far I have not caught it and I hope that I don't. I hope that you get to feeling better.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Thanks Kathy, hopefully you don't get it either. Unfortunately doc thanks it would be good for my immune system to get a cold. The last time I was sick, it was almost 9yrs ago with an ear infection. Haven't had a cold in 10-11yrs. Doc says it will be hard on me since I haven't had one in so long, but our bodies need to get sick once in a while to build immunity against infections. A healthy person tends to get sick every 2-3yrs. On average most people get sick once a year. He says I'm a bit behind, each year that goes by will make it worse on how hard it hits. Who'd thought getting a cold could be a good thing :lol: . Maybe I ought to stop taking my vitamins and honey for a bit and just let it hit. So rough on the little tikes when they get it. My daughter was the same age when she got her first cold. Hope he's all better. May your hubby and son-in-law get better soon. Try honey, 1 tsp 3x a day. It has enzymes that fight of colds. Non for the little guy, infants can't have honey until they are 1. May cause botulism, severe condition. Tried some lotion with cooling effect, seemed to numb the skin and itch for a little bit. Hope alls well.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Still itchy, but so spuratic. Just jumps quickly from spot to spot.Some areas more than others. So annoying. The cream is not lasting and now to cool for cool shower or bath. Heat still intensifying it, but no rashes or anything to see still. How long will this last and will I find the source?
    Cheryl