Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: as you get older

Thanks

Default as you get older

Do the symptoms of SLE and the way you feel get worse as you get older and you have it longer. Or do you usually stay the way that you are, except for flares? Does that make sense when you read it. It sounds good in my head, but so does everything else I say. Just not real good out loud. :lol:
    live, love and laugh often.

Thanks

Hi Coltsfan,
    I have often wondered about the same thing. I have had Lupus for over 44 years and in some respects it has gotten worse, but it is still manageable. I think I just have the cycle thing going on with flares and remission. I hope that it does not get to the point where you I will pass and if it does I hope that I am old and you know not real young. I am going to be 50 and well yes in my case it has progressively gotten worse, but thank heavens this is happening rather slowly. I don't know how else to answer your question. You know there is no cure and they can basically only treat the symptoms. Hopefully one day they will have a cure for it. I hope that I have helped out somehow.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi Kathy,
    I think that you answered my question. I am 37 now, but my aches and pains don't seem to be as extreme as some others on here. I was wondering if the disease slowly progresses in a way that eventually it will be worse and I am just in a lighter stage of it or if I will stay as I am. I know that some days I feel a little worse than others, but as of yet, it hasn't been anything too drastic.
    Thanks for your help and insight. My brother has been diagnosed for 15 years. I have been praying for a cure since the beginning. Never would have dreamed that one day I would be fighting the fight as well.
    Are you feeling well today?

Thanks

I'm 48 yrs old. I was pretty perky untill about two years go......that's when things got really rough.

I think every time our body goes through a chemical change. i.e. puberty, pregnacy, menopause, it seems to bring about changes in lupus.

I'm not diagnosed yet, but I've watched my mother and my sister go throught this as well.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi Coltsfan and SITC,
    I am having a pretty hard time today, but it is due to the fact that I will have to have my Vitamin B12 shot tomorrow as I have to have them every month due to Pernicious Anemia. I can definitely tell when it is time for another B12 nasty shot. I have some pain in my knees and wrists, but not to severely, just mainly tired. I watch my grandson during the day while my daughter and her husband work. Daycare is very expensive and it helps them out and I dearly love my 4 month old grandson. He is adorable.

I hope you ladies are doing ok tonight. I hope that neither of you two are in a lot of pain or feeling ill. God bless.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can only speak for myself, but I must admit that through the years my symptoms have gotten worse. I am thankful that I will be able to collect Social Security and a small teacher's retirement in about 1 and a half years. My doctor told me I have probably had the illness since my early 20's and I am now 58 years old.

Thanks

Kathy,
    4 months old, how adorable!! I have a great neice that is 3 mos old, but I don't get to see her very often. That is the only baby we have around. My babies are 14 and 15 now. I was very fortunate that my mother was able to watch them for me. Not only is daycare expensive, I didn't trust them with my kids.
    Today is very achy for me. I woke up with the knees, hips, elbows and hands really protesting.
    DrinkofWtr,
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about it. How are you feeling today? Unfortunately, I have about another 30 years for the retirement thing. If the stock market doesn't completely crash and I have a plan to draw from. We'll keep our fingers crossed and see.

Thanks

Hi Coltsfan,
    My little grandson is adorable. My parents died when my children were babies so they could not help me with them. I had to unfortunately hire babysitters and it was rough to say the least. Some were good, but then there were a few that were horrible. I ended up getting out of the job market when my daughter was 3, because my daughter got molested by another child that the babysitter was watching as well. I never blamed the babysitter as it was not her fault and she brought it to my attention immediately and I went right after the parents of the little girl that molested my daughter. I guess the little girl had gotten molested by her uncle and she did to my daughter what was being done to her. The uncle to the little girl went to prison for a very very long time and the parents lost custody of the little girl and her brother. I think that upset and scared me so badly that I had to leave the job market and take care of my children as a housewife until they were teenagers and then I went back to work until my health got to bad and had to get out of the job market again. I would rather watch my grandchild and know that he is safe and nobody is going to hurt him. I love children and can not understand how anyone could hurt them. I am glad that your parents could help you out. I am sorry that I kind of got off topic here, but I just wanted to let it out that it is hard to trust babysitters. I am sorry this is so long.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Medications:

Thanks

Hey Kathy

How did the shot go?
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi all. Just wanted to comment that it is hard to find good sitters. I stay at home to raise mine. Then did home school for 2yr degree in child-care management. Decided to run a Home Day Care because of the rep day cares have. I wouldn't trust mine in one, and yes some times its the kids and not the adults who cause trouble. I try to treat all kids as mine. I meet with them and have them sit with me an hour with the kids. To observe them, and for them to observe me.

I have to admit too, they are very expensive. I only charge $15 a day and have them bring their food. Also only charge for the days they are here, and not for the days they don't. I also work on honor system. I watch for the week, you pay on friday for the days I had them. I even have half day rates, some are only here for 2hrs a day. I hate to charge so much for so little time. Sometimes I get screewed and they don't show up on friday, never to be seen again. It happens :roll: . I'm just happy i don't have to leave home to work, lucky actually.

I just wanted to let you guys know that their are honest day cares (toot-toot my own horn :lol: ). I wish there was more out there. For all of us hard working honest ones, its hard to run this buisness. To bad some people don't take watching kids more seriously.

To the grandmum's who watch there grandkids, your awesome. My mum or mum-in-law don't watch ours. Said there done with those days. Understandable, but feels heartless and willing to try and help.

Hope the pain doesn't get to bad as we age .
    Cheryl