Thread: Gastroparesis

Thanks

Default Gastroparesis

Anyone get this with their lupus? I have had I don't know how many bouts of this. I usually have a noisy gut and I can hear myself gurgle and squeak. When I get the GP, I can't hear any bowel sounds and my gut locks down. My stomach backs up and won't empty properly, sometimes for days at a time. At that point, I can barely swallow and start to choke on everything, especially liquids, because it is like they have nowhere to go. I do vomit sometimes too, but I hate doing that so I won't eat if there is a risk of that.

I am at my wit's end with this. I am tired of being told this is all emotional and in my head and I would and could eat if I got hungry. Right, this is why I refuse to eat even when my blood sugar is so low I am shaking and blacking out, because I am stubborn and emotional? Every bout of this stuff causes weight loss, but having lost 40+ lbs since I have been taking prednisone daily, I don't have anything more to lose. It is to the point where I think I am losing muscle mass.

I have other food issues too. I am also a celiac and find that I am intolerant to animal products of all kinds, especially dairy. I don't eat meat because it SEEMS to bring on more GP. It doesn't matter if that is true or not because quite simply, I get sick if I eat meat, either it brings on a flare or stomach pains for 2 or 3 days.

Of course, now that it has cleared, I fall asleep whenever I eat. My body is starving.

help?

Thanks

Hi LadyDragonFlyMT,
    I read your post here and I can not but help and wonder if you may have Sjogrens along with the Celiacs and Lupus. I am wondering if you have been tested for Pernicious Anemia. I am wondering since you have Celiacs are you following the totally glutan free diet, because with Celiacs the glutan will cause this. I have to follow a glutan free diet. I am also Lactose intolerant as you seem to be. I seriously think you should be checked for Pernicious Anemia and Vitamin B12 deficiency. I too have a lot of intestinal issues. You can see by my signature that I have several A1s.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi LadyDragon,

My innards sounds like yours..

I was diagnosed and treated for H. Pylori. Stomach infection, with a suitcase of antibiotics. H. Pylori causes an insatiable appetite and too, the opposite after a morsel of food I was filled to the brim. My stomach would grumble, slosh, growl, and churn like a washing machine. After I ate I was still hungry...and times I would wake up belching 14 hours later... the food I ate for dinner the previous day...

I have GERD, gastritis and slow digestion. I take Protonix and Reglan. Protonix is to inhibit the production of stomach acid and Reglan to contract my stomach to rid my stomach of food....

I also had my esophagus dilated as my food was getting stuck....no longer does, but I do notice it goes down slowly....

My digestion I suspect will never be normal, in any phase, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestines...

Have you been check for H. Pylori...

Keep well.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.