Thread: ANA confused ?

Thanks

Default ANA confused ?

Can a ANA test just be negative or positive ? I thought it had to be like 1:40 or something not just none detected ?
    Keisha
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger ! We must be stronger right ?

Thanks

Hi Luvinmyninja,
    I would think that if it is not detected that it is negative. I think that the ANA titer has to be greater then 1:80 to be considered positive. I am not sure, but I think I saw that in a post. Saysusie and Oluwa would have a better answer I am sure. I know my titer was 1:360 and speckle patterned and they said that it was positive. I hope that I have helped in some way here.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

I'm just confused b/c there was no titer ?
    Keisha
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger ! We must be stronger right ?

Thanks

Hi,
    If there is no titer then you are not building any antibodies against the neucleus of your cells and that is a good thing. You could still have lupus even though you are not producing antibodies. It is strange, but it is the way that it is sometimes. You immune system is not producing antibodies to the cells in your body or at least not enough to be detected at this time. That is not to say that it won't be positive in the future. Lupus is a mighty strange illness big time. A person is not suppose to have antibodies against the neucleus of their cells. I hope that this helps to explain it.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

That was an excellent explanation Kathy :lol:

Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!