Thread: Lowering BP Naturally, any helpful suggestions?

Thanks

Default Lowering BP Naturally, any helpful suggestions?

I'm going to try to lower my bp without meds. Haven't told doc or np. They took a month to change a bp med that lowered my pulse to the 40's. Then the first day of the new bp med, had a severe dry cough just 12hrs after taking it. Wanted to throw up for a second and could not breath. It only lasted a minute and a half, but scarey :shock: and felt much longer. Had to argue again to change my meds. Thankfully they gave me a coupon so this new one would be free, lost some money in buying all these bp meds. Well I looked this one up first, since np said it was nothing like other 2. Well turns out it can effect your pulse too, raise or lower. Low possible side-effect, but concidering I just delt with low pulse and feeling dizzy and sick because of it, I just don't want to chance it.

I have a machine at home, and keeping a diary of bp and what's going on at the time. Food intake and such. Trying to eat more raw veggies and fruit when I can afford it. Trying to drink more water and cut coffee down, I do drink a pot a day. Thinking of switching to decaf, I just love the taste of coffee . I here cutting processed food down should help. I do make most of food from scratch. I have tredmil and exerc. bike, maybe 30 a day? Low impact of course, don't want to damage these bad joints.

Anything else? I read just dropping 10lbs can help a lot. I don't smoke, quit 3yrs ago . I have only a couple mix drinks a week. I do way 165, and I'm 5' 7". Thought I'd try for a 20lb loss.

Any helpful hints would be great. I seem to react fast and hard to meds, that's why I just want to quit. Docs don't want me to try, and they're DO's :? . That's why I chose them, DO's go more for natural approach. You think they would be all for it. The highest I've ran since off was 133/92 p-81 and lowest 118/77 p-52. With that range, I think I'm safe to do it. Am I crazy :? , hope not.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hugs cheryl_v

It makes me nervous that you are doing this with out letting your doctor's know. I think that's a mistake.

Inform them that you want to use natural ways to lower your bp. My concern is that you have to come off meds a particular way in order to keep your body from having a strong reaction.

Sudden changes could have a very bad effect on you. Please be careful.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Thanks for your concern SITC. I have given it conciderable thought. My bp has been in a normal range, only occassionally high normal range. Docs just want to keep pushing meds, even though I told them I want to go at it naturally. I do have the bp meds on stand-by. I don't want to push my luck. Discussed it with hubby, he agreed as long as I will take them if it rises. Mum-in-law was informed, she's a nurse so that's helpful. She's uneasy, but said a phone call away. I seem to have had rotten luck on meds: not working at all, low pulse, dry bad cough, stuffy nose that won't clear, working but quickly immune and stop. That's just the meds I've tried this year for bp and joint pain.

Your concern warms my heart , but rest easy my dear. I've carefully planned it out. I do wish my docs would understand, they used too. Some time in this past year they have just started to rely on meds for everything instead of natural approach like they used too. The whole reason I chose them. Doc doesn't even see me anymore, just np. Rhuemy doesn't seem to be interested anymore either. Its like they gave up and said "here, take this. It should help, have good day. Bye". That's the way its been for months now. So decided to take my health into my hands and contol it myself.

I promise to take the bp meds if it goes up. I check 3-4 x a day. Like I said they're on stand-by. Even if uneasy on possible side-effects, my health is more important. God Bless You for being so sweet .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Hi cheryl_v

I didn't come on the board yesterday, I wasn't feeling great...nothing serious just flaring tired and ick.

Glad you've got a back up plan.

There are some simple things you can do to cut back on salt in take to help with the bp and to help with ciruclation and cholesterol.

If you use tinned veggies, rins them and heat them in tap water. That removes excess salt that they don't really tell you about on the tin.

Eat wallnuts and almonds. Both are good for the walls and lining of your veins and arteries.

The no salt product that people use to replace table salt is sea salt. While it is better than table salt is has alot of potasium in it and can interfer with some medications.

Glass of red wine really does help to clear the gunk out of your veins to improve blood flow, but easy does it. While one glass a day is good, five a day gets ya into trouble :lol:

:lol: There was also an article on the BBC news site in the health section...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7686911.stm

I laughed mysilly when I read it, then I sent the article to my husband :shock: That may have been a mistake!

On that note...seriously though, beans, lentils and such are great for taking the cholestrol out of your blood, there for helping your blood to flow freely and lowering bp.

I'm not sure what to do if your bp is high from hypertension. I would think that is much harder to control. Perhaps some others here can help with that one.

Hope you are feeling better today
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Thank You SITC. I already use sea salt, love the taste difference in my food. I buy no-salt canned veggies, but I'll rinse them anyways. I'll also tell my mum, she buys all her veggies in cans. I can't drink wine, migraine in a bottle :lol: . I heard concord grape juice is suppose to be the same? I do love walnuts and almonds, yum. I'll have to eat more of them, hurt my feelings :lol: . Beans are my favorite meal, love slow cooking them in the crock-pot. I'll have to also mention that to my mum, she's suppose to lower her cholesterol levels. Thankfully she loves beans too. Unsure what causes my bp. Lots of time its stress from kids and body pain. I'll check that site out and tell you what I think, love a good laugh.

Thanks again for the helpful info, have a good day. May you be feeling better today, God Bless.
    Cheryl

Thanks

Yes concord grapes (red) have the same effect. There was an article in the news not that long ago.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Thanks, I'll pick some up .
    Cheryl

Thanks

My bp on average is 120/78 - 138/88, pulse is 65-85. Hows that so far? Going to docs on Friday, just checking.
    Cheryl