Thread: What are all of these letters?

Thanks

Default What are all of these letters?

Hey all,
    I just picked up a copy of my labs to take with me to the rheumy appt. There are a lot of letters that are on here that I don't have a clue as to what they mean. Can anyone help me decipher them? Or give me a good website to check? Any help at all will be great!
    SSA
    SSB
    ANTI-CHROM
    SM/RNP
    RNP
    SCL170
    JO-1
    ANTI-CENTROM
    RIBOP
    It looks like alphabet soup to me.
    Thanks,
    Robyn
    live, love and laugh often.

Thanks

Hey coltsfan

I've got no eye dear, I'm am completely medical jargen illerate. I'll be interested in reading the answer :lol:

I usually ask my family doctor to explain things to me in terms I can understan :shock:
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

I would have asked my doctor, but he is just my ob/gyn. He had to call for clarification on the results too. And I just stopped in to get the papers to take with me. But I opened the envelope and looked. My first thought was 'they got all of that from my blood?' Then I thought, what is it. Tried looking around but only got more confused.
    I am sure I will dream of the alphabet tonight. :lol:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

LFA
    "Rheumatoid autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus, are often associated with the occurence of autoantibodies against several nuclear or cytoplasmatic antigens. In patients with Sjögren-Syndrome. antibodies against SS-A and SS-B often occur in combination. Each class of immunoglobulins causes a specific immunofluorescent pattern. Basically, immunoflourescence titers correlate with the quantitation of IgG antibodies but the concentrations may vary considerably within each titer and with each lab. Quantitation of IgG class antibodies greatly correlates with the diseases' activity.

Today, the best investigated immunoreactive antigens are double-stranded DNA (dsDNA), single stranded DNA (ssDNA), Sm (Smith), sn-RNP (small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particles), the complex RNP/Sm which is stabilized by ribonuleic acid as well as SS-A (Ro) and SS-B (La). The antigen Scl 70, a molecular weight protein, is associated with scleroderma. In rheumatoid autoimmune diseases, various profiles of autoantibodies to these antigens can be detected. In a high incidence, they are related to activity and inactivity of systemic Lupus erythrematoses, mixed connective tissue diseases,, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren-Syndrome, Scleroderma, photosensitve dermatitis and drug-induced lupus.

In Lupus patients typically anti-dsDNA antibodies can be detected. Patients without these antibodies very often show anti-ssDNA antibodies and anti-SS-A and anti-SS-B are present. A strong correlation between antibody concentration and severety of the disease has been observed with higher antibody concentrations in active phases of the disease. Thus quantitation is more informative compared to simple titering by immunoflourescence. Most of these parameters are not specific for just one disease but they occur in various combinations. The pattern of different antibody combinations and their concentration together with the whole clinical picture of the patient are helpful diagnostic tools in the assessment of rheumatoid autoimmune diseases. "

*SSA/ Anti-Ro/ SSB
    The SSA ( also called anti-Ro) test is an autoantibody test associated with systemic lupus (SLE) and/or Sjogren's Disease. Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) synthesize a number of different immunoglobulins, many of which react with well characterized nuclear antigens. Anti-Ro/SSA and anti-La/SSB antibodies, which are directed against two extractable nuclear antigens, have been detected with high frequency in patients with Lupus and with Sjögren's syndrome (one of the common co-existing diseases with Lupus).
    These immunoglobulins, commonly found together, are specific against RNA proteins. Patients with antibodies to SS-A may have a negative ANA test. Anti-Ro is highly associated with photosensitivity.

*ANTI-CHROM
    A test to determine Lupus nephritis. Some say that this test is a better indicator of Nephritis than DsDNA test.

* SM/RNP
    These are ribonucleoproteins. Most lupus patients produce autoantibodies against small ribonucleoproteins such as Sm/ RNP and Ro 60.

* RNP
    Ribonucleoprotein

* SCL170 (actually it is anti-Sc170)
    A test used for the detection of autoantibodies diagnostic of systemic autoimmune disease.

* Jo-1
    Anti-Jo-1 is an indirect solid phase enzyme immunoassay (ELISA) for the quantitative measurement of IgG class autoantibodies against Jo-1 in human serum or plasma. The assay is intended for in vitro diagnostic use only as an aid in the diagnosis of polymyositis, Lupus and other connective tissue diseases.

* Anti-Centrom (Anti-centromere)
    Anti-centromere antibodies are found in approximately 60% of patients with CREST and in 15% of those with scleroderma.

* RiboP
    Ribosomal-P-Protein

It is apparent that your doctors are attempting to eliminate other possible causes for your symptoms. This is quite normal when trying to diagnose Lupus (or other auto-immune diseases). It is a process of elimination until lab results, symptoms and clinical evidence is narrowed down to one specific disease. The entire diagnostic process can take up to a year! Even then, some patients do not every get a definitive diagnoses because lab tests were not indicative of one particular disease. Often, these patients are diagnosed with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease or Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease.
    From the tests above, your doctors are being very thorough! Your rheumatologist will have good information to help him and you make some decisions about what you have, how you should be treated and what medications you may need.

I hope that I've been helpful. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie,
    That was wonderful information. Thank you so much.
    Question, all of these test are elimination factors for other disorders?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

They are used for both purposes, to eliminate other disorders and/or to confirm a disorder. Since Lupus is such a difficult disease to diagnose and can mimic so many other diseases, all of these tests are necessary :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!