Thread: Worried

Thanks

Default Worried

I have read about male fertility in patients with Lupus, this really worries me a lot as i would like to have children one day. I know its a question to ask my doctor but would like to know what the males have gone through or what they think. I used to take Cyclophosphamide, but stopped it a year ago, now I am only on Prednisone, chloroquine, Enalapril and warfarin. What are the male or female opinions on this subject about male fertility because I am really worried and would like to hear what others think,

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi :lol:
    I will give you just a brief response as I'm sure some of our male members will pop in to respond to your question.
    It is not so much the disease (Lupus) that my interfere with male fertility as it is some of the medications that male Lupus sufferers may have to take.
    Researchers have found sperm damage linked to infertility is common in men with lupus and that this damage appears to be related to a commonly used treatment for the disease. Intravenous cyclophosphamide (also known as Cytoxan) used in high doses for a prolonged period of time was found to be the constant in a study of men with Lupus and infertility. The results of the studies showed that men with lupus who had used this drug for a prolonged period or in high doses, had lower average sperm counts and sperm motility. They also had a lower sperm volume and a lower percentage of normally formed sperm.
    I hope that this bit of information is helpful to you. Hopefully, someone else will provide additional information.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi StuwiW,

I can't really add anything to what Saysusie has told you. I've read quite a bit on the subject because I was also concerned. The only thing I've read about having any effect on the reproductive system is the Cytoxan. Other than that, there is overwhelming evidence that men with SLE have no fertility problems at all. Both my Dr. , and my Rheumo also confirmed this when I asked them about it. To put an end to your worry, you might ask your Dr/rheumo if the duration and dose of the Cytoxan you were recieving could have any lasting effect. Other than that, there's not much else to worry about from a fertility standpoint.

Thanks

Thanks Rob

I can at least breath a sign of relief hearing it from someone else with Lupus.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

StuwiW
    Uh....I, too, have Lupus :roll:

pout
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie

I meant to say a male Lupus patient, but I really do appreciate your posts. So sorry if I sounded wrong, didnt mean to, I assume by your screen name you must be female, Please keeping replying to my posts.

Are you still on medication because I was wondering how long do some people take when they are put off medication. I have stopped two drugs so far, azothyaprine and cyclophosphamide, So i think i am heading in the right direction. Just wanna know those to those people that have stooped taking medication, did you ever flareup again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi StuwiW;
    I was just having fun with you :lol: No need to apologize at all.

My doctors tell me that I have been downgraded to "Mild Lupus". I take very little medication for my Lupus. However, I have a very severe case of Fibromyalgia and I am on LOTS of medications for that illness. However, even being downgraded to "Mild Lupus", I still suffer from Lupus flares. The difference is that now, many of my flares can be managed without additional medication and/or with very short rounds of medication.

Lupus is a disease that is replete with relapse and remission. With proper care, medication, lifestyle changes - we can often reduce our amount of medication and some even achieve a form of remission. Please know that remission is different for each patient. There is no way to predict when any one patient will go into remission, how long that remission will last, or if they will ever come out of remission.

The purpose of treatment is to prevent relapse (disease activity and/or worsening of symptoms) and to prevent further damage to tissues and organs. So, unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to your question. The disease is unpredictable in all of its forms :cry:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie